Iscored2onu

Most Anticipated Matches you didn't see?

Obviously upsets could have happened, but some I was really looking forward to (potentially). Note:  These are not predictions.  Just matches I wanted to see that were missed and "could" have happened.  Some great 2nd round and quarters matches.  I honestly think this would have been one of the deepest national tournaments taking into account all the olympic redshirts.  One of the deepest ever without the oly shirts.  

Lee vs Mueller in the semis

Glory vs Picc in the semis

Lee vs Glory in the finals

I think this weight would have went scratch for the top 4 seeds to the semi's.  

I think Lee would have won handily vs Glory in the finals

Phillipi vs RBY in the quarters

Tucker vs DeSanto in the Quarters

Gross vs Tucker or DeSanto in the semi's

Rivera vs RBY in the semi's

I think Gross would have won this weight, though Rivera may have pulled it off.  

Real Woods vs Chad Red in the quarters

Woods vs Lee in the Semis

Lugo vs Degan in the quarters

Lugo vs Mauller in the semis

Sasso vs O'Connor in the Semi's

Young vs Teemer in the 2nd round

Young or Teemer vs Deakin in the quarters

Dellavecchia vs Robb 2nd round

Winner of above vs Monday in quarters

Carr vs Sheets or Coleman in the quarters

Hidley vs Carr in the semi's

Wittlake vs White in the quarters

Griffith vs Shields in the quarters

Griffith vs Joseph in the Semis

Whomever in the finals

Steiert vs Lydy in the quarters

Kemerer vs Kutler semis

Hall vs Kemmerer finals

Deprez vs Hidlay in the quarters

Lujan vs Hidlay in the semis

Caffrey vs Assad part II

Brooks vs Caffrey/Assad quarters

Brooks vs Bolen

Brooks vs Lujan or someone

Norfleet vs Brucki 2nd round

Moore vs Brucki quarter

Warner vs Rasheed 2nd round

Warner vs Darmstadt quarters

Schultz vs Geer 2nd round

Adams vs Woodley 2nd round

HWT

Wood vs Orndorff 2nd round

Hall vs Stencel

Cassioppi vs Parris

Gable vs Parris

1 hour ago, Iscored2onu said:

Obviously upsets could have happened, but some I was really looking forward to (potentially). Note:  These are not predictions.  Just matches I wanted to see that were missed and "could" have happened.  Some great 2nd round and quarters matches.  I honestly think this would have been one of the deepest national tournaments taking into account all the olympic redshirts.  One of the deepest ever without the oly shirts.  

Lee vs Mueller in the semis

Glory vs Picc in the semis

Lee vs Glory in the finals

I think this weight would have went scratch for the top 4 seeds to the semi's.  

I think Lee would have won handily vs Glory in the finals

Phillipi vs RBY in the quarters

Tucker vs DeSanto in the Quarters

Gross vs Tucker or DeSanto in the semi's

Rivera vs RBY in the semi's

I think Gross would have won this weight, though Rivera may have pulled it off.  

Real Woods vs Chad Red in the quarters

Woods vs Lee in the Semis

Lugo vs Degan in the quarters

Lugo vs Mauller in the semis

Sasso vs O'Connor in the Semi's

Young vs Teemer in the 2nd round

Young or Teemer vs Deakin in the quarters

Dellavecchia vs Robb 2nd round

Winner of above vs Monday in quarters

Carr vs Sheets or Coleman in the quarters

Hidley vs Carr in the semi's

Wittlake vs White in the quarters

Griffith vs Shields in the quarters

Griffith vs Joseph in the Semis

Whomever in the finals

Steiert vs Lydy in the quarters

Kemerer vs Kutler semis

Hall vs Kemmerer finals

Deprez vs Hidlay in the quarters

Lujan vs Hidlay in the semis

Caffrey vs Assad part II

Brooks vs Caffrey/Assad quarters

Brooks vs Bolen

Brooks vs Lujan or someone

Norfleet vs Brucki 2nd round

Moore vs Brucki quarter

Warner vs Rasheed 2nd round

Warner vs Darmstadt quarters

Schultz vs Geer 2nd round

Adams vs Woodley 2nd round

HWT

Wood vs Orndorff 2nd round

Hall vs Stencel

Cassioppi vs Parris

Gable vs Parris

I thought the thread asked us "most anticipated matches "you" (meaning me) did't see", so I figured I'd open up the thread to list a few, only to discover you already listed most of them!  ;)

Edited by Marcus Cisero

8 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I thought the thread asked us "most anticipated matches "you" (meaning me) did't see", so I figured I'd open up the thread to list a few, only to discover you already listed most of them!  ;)

Yeah lol. I had to provide my own list.  Was curious of any I may have missed. 

Brooks vs. _______.

The progress he made from the start to the end of the year was breathtaking. Obviously he has great FS credentials but he went from true-freshman, only good from neutral to doing the Nolf/Nickal cradle on Venz at B1G semis.

I have no clue who he trains with at PSU but the Nickal influence is striking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Brooks vs. _______.

The progress he made from the start to the end of the year was breathtaking. Obviously he has great FS credentials but he went from true-freshman, only good from neutral to doing the Nolf/Nickal cradle on Venz at B1G semis.

These are very good points.  Brooks hit his stride, and he's going to do big things.  I think everyone knew he was a phenom, but he made some upperclassmen look like freshmen.  He will be tough to beat over the next 3(4?) years.  

These are very good points.  Brooks hit his stride, and he's going to do big things.  I think everyone knew he was a phenom, but he made some upperclassmen look like freshmen.  He will be tough to beat over the next 3(4?) years.  

Yeah. Watching his FS matches, he does some unconventional stuff that, in combination with the ankle pick he learned this year (in addition to his already amazing offense), will make him hard to figure out/stop. So many ways to score, and learning from the Nickal/Rasheed School of Cradling. And he seems to have developed a motor, too, which is frightening.

Like this, at ~2:20:

I’d like to see Brooks vs the ACC guys. Or Max Dean, if he’d been wrestling NCAAS this year. Or Valencia.

6 hours ago, Le duke said:

Brooks vs. _______.

Two things:

1) Brooks is only a true frosh bg eligibility standards. He's been out of High School as long as Parris and Cassiopi and Gable.

B) He had to grow into the weight. Yes we knew he was going to be 184, but he was making 174(79 keggers) still for freestyle up until late August.

6 hours ago, Le duke said:

Yeah. Watching his FS matches, he does some unconventional stuff that, in combination with the ankle pick he learned this year (in addition to his already amazing offense), will make him hard to figure out/stop. So many ways to score, and learning from the Nickal/Rasheed School of Cradling. And he seems to have developed a motor, too, which is frightening.

Like this, at ~2:20:

I’d like to see Brooks vs the ACC guys. Or Max Dean, if he’d been wrestling NCAAS this year. Or Valencia.

He already beat Dean in freestyle just a few months ago.  I think folk style would be the same.

Two things:

1) Brooks is only a true frosh bg eligibility standards. He's been out of High School as long as Parris and Cassiopi and Gable.

B) He had to grow into the weight. Yes we knew he was going to be 184, but he was making 174(79 keggers) still for freestyle up until late August.

The latter point should be terrifying for everyone else. A guy who isn’t cutting much, if at all, who didn’t have a good top game or much endurance (watch him gas at the end matches from FS or the start of the season) that picked up that much ability in one season.

Anyone heard/know who his regular training partners are? Anyone think he gets in real mat time with Nickal, DT3, etc?

I know we’re all lamenting the 2020 season, but I have to wonder where he’ll be ranked at the start of next year.

Back on topic: The specific match I really want to see was Brooks vs Hidlay.

They couldn’t meet until the final or consolations but it would be interesting to see how much Brooks has developed since 2017, when they were down at 170.

9 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I thought this thread was going to be about matches we've never seen before.. many of these are rematches..

Most of the matches I listed are not rematches.  And the heading was a question.  I was asking what everyone's most anticipated matches were that they didn't see.  Therefore, it's open to whatever people posted.  I just gave my list as well, that is all.  Sorry for your disappointment lol

**** I concur on many of these, however the one I regret not seeing the most would have been Kutler vs. Kemmerer.  Kemmerer straight on, many leg attacks, in your face Iowa style and raised on PA wrestling in Young Guns. But I could not see him being able to penetrate Kutler, (his strength, his ability to counter and maintain center of mat control or escape from his ride).  Kutler does not score tons of points but he has been clamping opponents now that he is finally 100% healthy.  I am 99% certain the Finals would be Hall vs. Kutler.  Just one observers opinion.

1 hour ago, Cary by the Lake said:

**** I concur on many of these, however the one I regret not seeing the most would have been Kutler vs. Kemmerer.  Kemmerer straight on, many leg attacks, in your face Iowa style and raised on PA wrestling in Young Guns. But I could not see him being able to penetrate Kutler, (his strength, his ability to counter and maintain center of mat control or escape from his ride).  Kutler does not score tons of points but he has been clamping opponents now that he is finally 100% healthy.  I am 99% certain the Finals would be Hall vs. Kutler.  Just one observers opinion.

My only argument to that is Kemmerer's uncanny ability to scramble. If he can do what he did vs. Mark Hall, I have a feeling he would be fine against Kutler too in scramble situations.  Hall beat Kutler 7-2.  Kutler only put up 6 against Statzka.  Kemmerer put up 20 against the same opponent.  While that doesn't mean much, I don't see Kutler scoring much against Kemmerer.  

4 hours ago, Iscored2onu said:

Most of the matches I listed are not rematches.  And the heading was a question.  I was asking what everyone's most anticipated matches were that they didn't see.  Therefore, it's open to whatever people posted.  I just gave my list as well, that is all.  Sorry for your disappointment lol

Uh...

In total you mentioned 45 different matchups.  That isn't including the 'or whoever' matchups.  Only ONE(1) weight class you have listed has less new matches than rematches, and that is 149lbs, with one of the three matches being a rematch.  Every single other weight class, using the matches you put, have more rematches than new matches.  In total 31 of 45 of the matches listed are rematches.  That is greater than a 2/3rds rematch rate.

125 3 of 3.

133 3 of 5.

141 1 of 2.

149 1 of 3.

157 5 of 9.

165 2 of 3.

174 2 of 3.

184 5 of 7.

197 5 of 6.

285 4 of 4.

All this said, your list is and was not disappointing.  My respond is for clarity.

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Uh...

In total you mentioned 45 different matchups.  That isn't including the 'or whoever' matchups.  Only ONE(1) weight class you have listed has less new matches than rematches, and that is 149lbs, with one of the three matches being a rematch.  Every single other weight class, using the matches you put, have more rematches than new matches.  In total 31 of 45 of the matches listed are rematches.  That is greater than a 2/3rds rematch rate.

125 3 of 3.

133 3 of 5.

141 1 of 2.

149 1 of 3.

157 5 of 9.

165 2 of 3.

174 2 of 3.

184 5 of 7.

197 5 of 6.

285 4 of 4.

All this said, your list is and was not disappointing.  My respond is for clarity.

I mean yeah if you're referring to rematches all-time. Hard to avoid those.  I was answering, once again, in rematches this year.  Need more context for your data points, I guess lol

Glory vs Spencer Lee wouldn't be exciting because it's a rematch from last year?

It's difficult to avoid rematches over 4 years with high quality wrestlers.  They tend to meet in finals/conference tourneys. 

Edited by Iscored2onu

15 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

I mean yeah if you're referring to rematches all-time. Hard to avoid those.  I was answering, once again, in rematches this year.  Need more context for your data points, I guess lol

Glory vs Spencer Lee wouldn't be exciting because it's a rematch from last year?

It's difficult to avoid rematches over 4 years with high quality wrestlers.  They tend to meet in finals/conference tourneys. 

Never did I say it wouldn't be exciting.  I was stating for data purposes only.  They are rematches.  For this year?  The number drops to under half, but not by as much as you think.

That said, every match you entered aside for Lee-Glory would have been competitive.