Broomstick

10 Best College Wrestlers From Each State

This has probably been done before but perhaps the passage of time would make any old thread out-of-date.  Based solely on college results, list the 10 best wrestlers "from each state" meaning attended all 4 years of high school in the state.  I will start with Ohio, naming the best college wrestlers (from any college) who attended all 4 years of high school in Ohio.

1.  Logan Stieber - 4 time Div. 1 Champ.  Really no choice but to put him first given the 4 titles.

2.  Lee Kemp - 3 time Div. 1 Champ, 1 time runner up.  Even though Steiber has one more title, there are strong arguments Kemp should be #1 given that his loss freshman year in the finals was somewhat controversial and he did not lose another college match thereafter.  Still, I'm going with Steiber over Kemp based on  the simple concept of 4>3.  Others may disagree.

Does any other state have a better top 2?

3.  David Taylor - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 2 time runner up.  This was the easiest placement for the list.  Taylor's level of dominance throughout his collegiate career puts him a level (or 2) above Ohio's other 2 time champs and, in my opinion, he has to be below Steiber and Kemp based on number of titles.

Does any other state have a better top 3?

4.  Kevin Randleman - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 1 time runner up.  Only 3 years of competition due to "foregoing" his senior year.  Some may say this placement is controversial since there are 4 time AAs below but there is nobody on this list who was more intimidating than "the Monster".

5.  Tommy Rowlands - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 4 time AA.  The greatness of the HWY weight class during his years justifies him being above some others.

6.  Ryan Bertin - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 4 time AA.  For various reasons, I never saw many of his matches.  My loss.

7. Alan Fried - 1 time Div. 1 Champ, 2 time runner up.  Only 3 years of competition due to Oklahoma State sanctions his junior year and his two runner ups were losses to Tom Brands (as were 5 of his 6 losses in college).  Like Randleman, although he ended up with less titles or AAs than some below him on the list, the "eye test" justifies his higher placement.

8.  Markus Mollica - 2 time Div 1 Champ, 4 time AA.  An knee injury one year may have prevented a 3rd title.

9.  Jim Jordan - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  The fact his first championship came via a win over John Smith causes me to put him above some of the other 2 time champs.

10.  J. Jaggers - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  For various reasons, I saw so many of his matches and what a treat that was.  His two titles were filled with exciting matches in the tournament, the 2nd of which I was able to attend in St. Louis.

11.  Dean Heil - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  I imagine some will argue he should be at #8 or 9, which may be correct.  Who knows, if he was not hampered by injury his senior year and wins another title, he is solidly in the top 3 or 4. (I had him at 10 but then remembered I left Mollica off the list when I first submitted)

Edited by Broomstick

9 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

This has probably been done before but perhaps the passage of time would make any old thread out-of-date.  Based solely on college results, list the 10 best wrestlers "from each state" meaning attended all 4 years of high school in the state.  I will start with Ohio, naming the best college wrestlers (from any college) who attended all 4 years of high school in Ohio.

1.  Logan Stieber - 4 time Div. 1 Champ.  Really no choice but to put him first given the 4 titles.

2.  Lee Kemp - 3 time Div. 1 Champ, 1 time runner up.  Even though Steiber has one more title, there are strong arguments Kemp should be #1 given that his loss freshman year in the finals was somewhat controversial and he did not lose another college match thereafter.  Still, I'm going with Steiber over Kemp based on  the simple concept of 4>3.  Others may disagree.

3.  David Taylor - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 2 time runner up.  This was the easiest placement for the list.  Taylor's level of dominance throughout his collegiate career puts him a level (or 2) above Ohio's other 2 time champs and, in my opinion, he has to be below Steiber and Kemp based on number of titles.

4.  Kevin Randleman - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 1 time runner up.  Only 3 years of competition due to "foregoing" his senior year.  Some may say this placement is controversial since there are 4 time AAs below but there is nobody on this list who was more intimidating than "the Monster".

5.  Tommy Rowlands - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 4 time AA.  The greatness of the HWY weight class during his years justifies him being above some others.

6.  Ryan Bertin - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 4 time AA.  For various reasons, I never saw many of his matches.  My loss.

7. Alan Fried - 1 time Div. 1 Champ, 2 time runner up.  Only 3 years of competition due to Oklahoma State sanctions his junior year and his two runner ups were losses to Tom Brands (as were 5 of his 6 losses in college).  Like Randleman, although he ended up with less titles or AAs than some below him on the list, the "eye test" justifies his higher placement.

8.  Jim Jordan - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  The fact his first championship came via a win over John Smith causes me to put him above some of the other 2 time champs.

9.  J. Jaggers - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  For various reasons, I saw so many of his matches and what a treat that was.  His two titles were filled with exciting matches in the tournament, the 2nd of which I was able to attend in St. Louis.

10.  Dean Heil - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  I imagine some will argue he should be at #8 or 9, which may be correct.  Who knows, if he was not hampered by injury his senior year and wins another title, he is solidly in the top 3 or 4.

How about Dan St. John, 2X NCAA champ and a 3rd place finish?  I would at least place him above Heil. 

13 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

How about Dan St. John, 2X NCAA champ and a 3rd place finish?  I would at least place him above Heil. 

I forgot he had a 3rd place finish.  Might should be above Jaggers too.  I did the list off the top of my head and expected I would forget worthy candidates or accomplishments like St. John's 3rd AA finish. 

And now I just remembered I left Markus Mollica off the list and went back and added him as that was inexcusable.

Edited by Broomstick

1 hour ago, Broomstick said:

8.  Markus Mollica - 2 time Div 1 Champ, 4 time AA.  An knee injury one year may have prevented a 3rd title.

9.  Jim Jordan - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  The fact his first championship came via a win over John Smith causes me to put him above some of the other 2 time champs.

10.  J. Jaggers - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  For various reasons, I saw so many of his matches and what a treat that was.  His two titles were filled with exciting matches in the tournament, the 2nd of which I was able to attend in St. Louis.

11.  Dean Heil - 2 time Div. 1 Champ, 3 time AA.  I imagine some will argue he should be at #8 or 9, which may be correct.  Who knows, if he was not hampered by injury his senior year and wins another title, he is solidly in the top 3 or 4. (I had him at 10 but then remembered I left Mollica off the list when I first submitted)

You are bragging!  :)

Iowa -

Dan Gable – 2 x NCAA champ, world and Olympic gold

Frank Gotch – "Gotch was the first American professional wrestler to win the world heavyweight free-style championship, and credited for popularizing professional wrestling in the United States. Gotch was to wrestling history in this country what John L. Sullivan was to boxing."

Tom Brands - 3 x NCAA champ, world and Olympic gold

Bill Koll – career undefeated three time NCAA champion

Terry Brands - 2 x NCAA champ, 2 x world gold and Olympic bronze

Barry Davis – 3 x NCAA champion, 2 x world silver and Olympic silver

Jim Zalesky - 3 x NCAA champion

Mark Ironside – 2 x NCAA champion, Hodge winner

Jeff McGinness – 2 x NCAA champion, Junior World gold

Royce Alger  - 2 x NCAA champ, world silver, or

Tim Krieger - 2 x NCAA champion, four time #1 at NCAA tournament

Kansas

• Melvin Douglas >>> 2xNC-D1 | 4xAA-D1 | 1x World Champ | 6x World Team Member | 2x Olympian
  • Myron Roderick >>> 3xNC-D1 | Olympian
  • Eric Akin >>> 4xAA-D1 | 3x World Team Member
  • Peter Merhinger >>> 1x Olympic Champion while sophomore in college.
  • Kendrick Maple >>> 1xNC-D1 | 3xAA-D1
  • Zach Roberson >>> 1xNC-D1 | 3xAA-D1
  • Tyler Caldwell >>> 4xAA-D1
  • Eric Luedke >>> 2xNC-NJCAA | 2xAA-D1
  • Temoer Terry >>> 3xAA-D1
  • Tanner Gardner >>> 3xAA-D1

Shawn Bunch was pretty good!  I am sure to be missing guys.  It is hard to find information when there are no Kansas D1 schools.  

Edited by jross

2 hours ago, klehner said:

New York:

1. Kyle Dake 4x NCAA champ
  2. Dave Auble 2x NCAA champ (1x Outstanding Wrestler), 55-1 college record
  3. Yianni D. 2x NCAA champ

So if Yianni wins 2 more, I would say NY has a better top 2 than anyone else, understanding that "college wrestler" is the qualifier.

California

Mark Schultz 3x NCAA D1 champ, Olympic champ, 2x WC

Stephen Abas 3x NCAA D1 champ, Olympic silver

Eric Guerrero 3x NCAA D1 champ

Jake Varner 2x NCAA D1 champ, 4x finalist, Olympic champ, World Bronze

Isaiah Martinez 2x NCAA D1 champ, 4x finalist

Zahid Valencia 2x NCAA D1 champ(we all know he would have won 3)

Chris Pendleton 2x NCAA D1 champ

Stephen Neal 2x NCAA D1 champ

Jesse Delgado 2x NCAA D1 champ

Marty Kistler 2x NCAA D1 champ

There are a few other guys who won 2 NCAA D1 titles in there as well.

2 hours ago, klehner said:

New York:

Gwiz 8-1-1-2 and a very very close OT 2 to a legend

Jessie Jantzen  3-3-1 MOW

Gregor Gillespie 4x AA with a championship in a very deep weight class

Kerry Mccoy. 2x champ 3x AA

Troy Nickerson 4x AA 2-3-1-4

JP O’Connor 3x AA 1 time champ...undefeated that year

And two of those guys wrestled for Harvard

Edited by CJE64

9 hours ago, headache said:

Iowa -

Dan Gable – 2 x NCAA champ, world and Olympic gold

Frank Gotch – "Gotch was the first American professional wrestler to win the world heavyweight free-style championship, and credited for popularizing professional wrestling in the United States. Gotch was to wrestling history in this country what John L. Sullivan was to boxing."

Tom Brands - 3 x NCAA champ, world and Olympic gold

Bill Koll – career undefeated three time NCAA champion

Terry Brands - 2 x NCAA champ, 2 x world gold and Olympic bronze

Barry Davis – 3 x NCAA champion, 2 x world silver and Olympic silver

Jim Zalesky - 3 x NCAA champion

Mark Ironside – 2 x NCAA champion, Hodge winner

Jeff McGinness – 2 x NCAA champion, Junior World gold

Royce Alger  - 2 x NCAA champ, world silver, or

Tim Krieger - 2 x NCAA champion, four time #1 at NCAA tournament

Mark Ironside ended his college career with a 67 match winning streak and Jim Zalesky ended his with an 89 match winning streak

11 hours ago, klehner said:

New York:

I’d include

4. Troy Nickerson who was our first 5 time NY state champion. Despite his injuries in college he did pull off 1 NCAA championship, took 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in other years. He was also a 3X EIWA champ.

6 minutes ago, RichB said:

Vermont:

1 Robert Hamlin as a senior

2 Robert Hamlin as a sophomore

3 Robert Hamlin as a Junior

4 Robert Hamlin as a Frosh

5 Robert Hamlin his redshirt year 

Robert Hamlin good guy to this day

9 hours ago, jross said:

Kansas

• Melvin Douglas >>> 2xNC-D1 | 4xAA-D1 | 1x World Champ | 6x World Team Member | 2x Olympian
  • Myron Roderick >>> 3xNC-D1 | Olympian
  • Eric Akin >>> 4xAA-D1 | 3x World Team Member
  • Peter Merhinger >>> 1x Olympic Champion while sophmore in college.
  • Kendrick Maple >>> 1xNC-D1 | 3xAA-D1
  • Zach Roberson >>> 1xNC-D1 | 3xAA-D1
  • Tyler Caldwell >>> 4xAA-D1
  • Eric Luedke >>> 2xNC-NJCAA | 2xAA -D1
  • Temoer Terry >>> 3xAA-D1
  • Tanner Gardner >>> 3xAA-D1

Shaun Bunch was pretty good!  I am sure to be missing guys.  It is hard to find information when there are no Kansas D1 schools.  

I wouldn't have expected such a strong list from Kansas!

Some pretty awesome lists, so far. I'll plug in some names for Oklahoma

Pat Smith (4xNC)

John Smith (2xNC)

Kenny Monday (1xNC)

Chris Barnes (2xNC)

Dan Hodge (3XNC)

Rod Kilgore (2xNC)

Mike Sheets (2XNC)

Johnny Thompson (3xNC)

Johny Hendricks (2xNC)

Dick Hutton (3xNC)

TJ Jaworsky (3xNC)

Tommy Evans (2xNC)

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

Pat Smith (4xNC)

John Smith (2xNC)

Kenny Monday (1xNC)

Chris Barnes (2xNC)

Dan Hodge (3XNC)

Rod Kilgore (2xNC)

Mike Sheets (2XNC)

Johnny Thompson (3xNC)

Johny Hendricks (2xNC)

Dick Hutton (3xNC)

TJ Jaworsky (3xNC)

Tommy Evans (2xNC)

I think we have a winner in Oklahoma?

Indiana (just college results)

1. Andrew Howe - 1x D1 Champ, 4x All American (1/2/2/3)
  2. Angel Escobedo- 1x D1 Champ, 4x All American (1/3/4/5)
  3. Jason Tsirtsis - 1x D1 Champ, 3x All American (1/3/7)
  4. Riley Lefever- 4x D3 Champ
  5. Kelvin Jackson - 1x D1 Champ
  6. Stevan Micic - 3x All American (2/3/4)
  7. Reece Humphrey - 2x All American (2/3)
  8. Leroy Vega - 3x All American (3/5/5)
  9. Greg Wagner - 3x All American (3/4/6)
  10. Nick Lee - 2x All American (5/5)
  11. Keith Davison - 2x All American (3/5)

Guys to watch: Mason Parris, Brayton Lee, Lucas Davison 

Thoughts

• I went to 11 since Davison has better finishes than Nick Lee but Nick Lee was going to win or be runner up this season... I could see Lee jumping over Reese and maybe Micic when its all over
  • Chad Red barely misses the cut
  • I was doing research into this and stumbled upon Kelvin Jackson - no All American finishes outside of his championship for Michigan State 
  • Wasn't sure where to put Lefever, he's a stud but d3 vs d1 finishes
  • Another name to note is Brandon Wright, 2x NAIA champ

Edited by wrestlingrecruit

10 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I wouldn't have expected such a strong list from Kansas!

Agreed. 

The 2007 KSU proposal to bring back a D1 team has unexpected data points.  Kansas had a more quantitative folkstyle club presence than its surrounding states.  They had notably more athletes, clubs, and tournaments than Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, and Texas.  

2007 Club Athlete Counts

• Kansas 8,140
  • Missouri 5,768
  • Texas 3,274
  • Oklahoma 2,233
  • Iowa 2,181
  • Colorado 1,569
  • Nebraska 334

11 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Pat Smith (4xNC)

John Smith (2xNC)

Kenny Monday (1xNC)

Chris Barnes (2xNC)

Dan Hodge (3XNC)

Rod Kilgore (2xNC)

Mike Sheets (2XNC)

Johnny Thompson (3xNC)

Johny Hendricks (2xNC)

Dick Hutton (3xNC)

TJ Jaworsky (3xNC)

Tommy Evans (2xNC)

Pretty sure ya boy JT did not win 3 times.  He was 2-1-1-3.

12 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Pretty sure ya boy JT did not win 3 times.  He was 2-1-1-3.

He won three times. However, he was fortunate he only faced Kolat one time and that was Kolat's true freshman year. Kolat got upset in the semis in "94 and redshirted in "95. 

8 minutes ago, headache said:

He won three times. However, he was fortunate he only faced Kolat one time and that was Kolat's true freshman year. Kolat got upset in the semis in "94 and redshirted in "95. 

What???  Kolat won in 96 and and 97, wasn’t JT like a 2004 graduate?