Jump to content
Broomstick

10 Best College Wrestlers From Each State

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

as jr. he won, beat metclaf in one of the most shocking final upsets ever at the time then blew out his shoulder roller blading his senior year, but like I said if he didn’t get hurt no one was beating him his senior year Kyle dake included 

Kyle Dake is STILL winless on the fantasy circuit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Funny, I posted just before you.  You can tell our age differences a bit, since you forgot Simaz and Cunningham and I forgot Jackson, Metzger and Porter.

I saw your post after I hit "submit reply".....you did have a couple I forgot.....one I left off accidentally was Chris Taylor....I'm going to modify my list to include these other guys and maybe more.  Fadz

 

OK, I got talked into this by a PA buddy and we worked on this together....not even looking back to see if there is a post for Michigan....here's the list, and I'm sure as you get lower on the list you can move guys up and down...remember, this is just for fun.  I'm taking into account post college a little bit (hey, it's my list....LOL)

Michigan Best College wrestlers

Mark Churella      3-1-1-1  (one of the first 4 time all-americans)

Jimmy Jackson   1-1-1  World Cup Champion

Greg Johnson   1-1-1    (that's 3 3 timers)

Andrea Metzger    5-2-1-1  3 time World Cup runner up and silver medalist in the World Championships to guess who????? yes,   Fadzaev

Gabe Dean    3-1-1-2

Brent Metcalf       1-2-1  World Cup Champ

Cam Simaz    8-3-3-1

Chris Taylor      1-1  Olympic Bronze Medalist

Dave Porter      1-3-1

Adam Coon     2-3-2  World Silver Medalist in GR

Paul Donahoe  1-3-2

John Reader   7-4-1

Zeke Jones    6-4-2  (small 118 )      World Gold/Bronze     Olympic Silver

John Fisher    4-4-3-4  World Cup Champion

Some honorable mention.....Steve Fraser  5-6 Olympic Gold Medalist,  Jeff Callard 3-2-5,  Josh Churella 8-2-4.

Always a pleasure Fadz!!

Many others you could consider ....Casey Cunningham, Nick Simmons, Ben Bennett....I don't think any of them are ahead of the above listed....one possibility, but I'm happy with this list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

New Jersey...I just went with the last 30 years or so, also i only included Blair guys that grew up and lived in NJ

1. Steve mocco- 2x champ 4 x finalist

2. Damian Hahn- 2x champ, 2x 5th place 

3. Jordan Burroughs 2x champ, 3rd place 

4.a .Matt valenti 2x champ, 5th, R12

4 B. Joe Dubuque 2x champ, 8th 

5. Darrion Caldwell, 1x champ, 1 x 5th, R12...I honestly believe he would have beat Dake his sr year if not for his shoulder injury 

6.Kellen Russell 2x champ, 7th 

7.Zach Esposito, 1x champ, 2nd and 3rd place finish

8. Frank molinaro 1x champ, 4 time AA, 8th, 5th, 2nd 

9.Anthony ashnault 1x champ, 4 time AA, 8th, 4th , 6th

10.Zach Rey 1x champ, 2nd, 3rd 

11. Dave Zabriskie 1x champ, 5th, 6th

honorable mention

Myles Martin 1x champ, 4 time AA, 5th, 2nd, 3rd

joey McKenna , 3rd 2 x, 2nd , R12

corey Cooperman, 3rd 2x , 7th 

james green .4 x AA, 3rd 2x, 7th 2x 

also McFadden would have most likely become a 4x AA and obviously if suriano returns to college he ll be on this list...pat glory seems to be on trajectory to possibly crack the top 10...Taylor Walsh was also a national finalist, his brother chad was a 2x AA and R12...so many great guys left out 

 

 

 

 

Donny Pritzlaf?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LowSingleOTW said:

How can Ohio not have any members of Team Milkovich on it?

Especially Pat...

Pat Milkovich 1-1-2-2 at Michigan State

Youngest NCAA Champ in history... First four time finalist in BigTens and NCAAs...

He 100% has to be on any list that has to do with Ohio...

 

NO CHIT!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cary by the Lake said:

**** Pennsylvania:  Where to start, just so many.

In no particular order: Wade Schalles, Jack Cuvo, John Trenge, Zain Retherford, Ed Ruth, Kurt Angle, Jason Nolf, Cary Kolat, Carlton Haselrig, Ricky Bonomo, Bobby Weaver, Vincenzo Joseph.  Just a sampling, the list goes on and on.

Lehigh fan and you don't mention Pat Santoro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Dakota

1. Randy Lewis 4X-AA, 2X Champion, 3X finalist, 1984 Olympic gold, 1980 Olympian, 1978 world team, 1979 world team

2. Lincoln McIlravy 4X-AA, 3X Champion, 4X finalist, 2000 Olympic bronze, 1998 world bronze, 1999 world silver

3. Bill Scherr 3X-AA, 1X Champion, 1988 olympic bronze, 1985 world gold, 1986 world silver, 1987 world bronze, 1989 world silver

4. Jim Scherr 2X-AA, 1X Champion, 1988 olympian, 1986 world bronze, 1987 world silver, 1989 world silver

5. Dennis Kozlowski 3X-AA (DIII), 2X Champion, 1988 (GR) Olympic bronze, 1992 (GR) Olympic Silver, 1983 (GR) world team, 1985 (GR) world team, 1986 (GR) world team,                                  1987 (GR) world silver, 1991 (GR) world team

6. Duane Koslowski 1X-AA (DIII), 1X Champion,  1988 (GR) Olympian, 1986 (GR) world team, 1987 (GR) world team

7. Les Sigman 4X-AA (DII), 4X Champion, 2010 world team

8. Chad Lamer 4X-AA (DII) 3X Champion

9. Brock Lesnar 2X-AA(DI), 1X Champion, 2X finalist, 2X-AA(NJCAA), 1X Champion

10a. Logan Storley 4X-AA (6, 4, 3, 4)

10b. Robert Kokesh 3X-AA (R12, 3, 4, 3)

10c. Ryan Tobin 3X-AA (8, 3, 4)

 

Edited by DJP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, Broomstick said:

I think we have a winner in Oklahoma?

Johnny Thompson was only a 2x champ, but Uetake was probably the greatest all time.  There must be a dozen 3X champs not on the Oklahoma list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Caldwell wrestled as true freshman and he didn’t go to high school at a blair or Bergan Catholic , wrestled at Rahway a football school then went to nc state who hadn’t had an AA in 10 years starts right away and made the quarters before losing to the top seed, then lost to Jaggers in the blood round, as a sophomore took 5th in probably the toughest weight class in history, finished behind Metclef, bubba Jenkins, Burroughs, Curella..he beat ncaa champ O’Conner for 5th and finished ahead of schaletter and Palmer 

as jr. he won, beat metclaf in one of the most shocking final upsets ever at the time then blew out his shoulder roller blading his senior year, but like I said if he didn’t get hurt no one was beating him his senior year Kyle dake included 

Was Myles Martin not a true freshman national champion, keeping an all time great from being a 4X champ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Tough for me to unsee him losing to max dean and multiple times to Sammy brooks ,the rest of the guys on the list aren’t really losing to guys like that..I agree Martin was amazing at moments but sometimes he would lay an egg, like getting majored by Nickal with 1 second left in the dual of century in which his team ended up losing by 1...it was things like that why I left him off the top 10 originally 

Well I guess you just ignore Caldwell getting teched by the legend Matthew Schumm of Cal St Bakersfield, pinned in 3:32 by Navy’s Brad Canterbury, and pinned at nationals in 1:40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Well I guess you just ignore Caldwell getting teched by the legend Matthew Schumm of Cal St Bakersfield, pinned in 3:32 by Navy’s Brad Canterbury, and pinned at nationals in 1:40.

Or getting pinned by Mike Roberts Boston U and Scott Ervin App State in the same tourney to not place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DJP said:

South Dakota

1. Randy Lewis 4X-AA, 2X Champion, 3X finalist, 1984 Olympic gold, 1980 Olympian, 1978 world team, 1979 world team

2. Lincoln McIlravy 4X-AA, 3X Champion, 4X finalist, 2000 Olympic bronze, 1998 world bronze, 1999 world silver

3. Bill Scherr 3X-AA, 1X Champion, 1988 olympic bronze, 1985 world gold, 1986 world silver, 1987 world bronze, 1989 world silver

4. Jim Scherr 2X-AA, 1X Champion, 1988 olympian, 1986 world bronze, 1987 world silver, 1989 world silver

5. Dennis Kozlowski 3X-AA (DIII), 2X Champion, 1988 (GR) Olympic bronze, 1992 (GR) Olympic Silver, 1983 (GR) world team, 1985 (GR) world team, 1986 (GR) world team,                                  1987 (GR) world silver, 1991 (GR) world team

6. Duane Koslowski 1X-AA (DIII), 1X Champion,  1988 (GR) Olympian, 1986 (GR) world team, 1987 (GR) world team

7. Les Sigman 4X-AA (DII), 4X Champion, 2010 world team

8. Chad Lamer 4X-AA (DII) 3X Champion

9. Brock Lesnar 2X-AA(DI), 1X Champion, 2X finalist, 2X-AA(NJCAA), 1X Champion

10a. Logan Storley 4X-AA (6, 4, 3, 4)

10b. Robert Kokesh 3X-AA (R12, 3, 4, 3)

10c. Ryan Tobin 3X-AA (8, 3, 4)

 

What...my list on page 3 wasn't good enough for you? :-P  Good list, but you did omit a D-1 NCAA runner-up in Justin Hardy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Illinois  Sorry, I am not up on results.  This was off top of my head 

Larry Kristoff  Olympics

Tim Wright  4x DII NC  Rock Island

Earnest Benion  NC

Mike Poeta

Ron Clinton

Kevin Puebla  Moline

Mark Johnson  Rock Island

Booker Benford  NC

Al Sears  NC  All time pin record

Allan Grammer  DII NC and DI placer

Matt Lackey  Moline  NC

Mark Kristoff

Kip Kristoff

sure I am missing a few

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LowSingleOTW said:

How can Ohio not have any members of Team Milkovich on it?

Especially Pat...

Pat Milkovich 1-1-2-2 at Michigan State

Youngest NCAA Champ in history... First four time finalist in BigTens and NCAAs...

He 100% has to be on any list that has to do with Ohio...

 

Yep, I did the initial list off the top of my head.  Forgot Pat Milkovich who I would slot into about the middle of the top 10.  I would include Dan St. John in the 9 or 10 spot too after thinking about it more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Well I guess you just ignore Caldwell getting teched by the legend Matthew Schumm of Cal St Bakersfield, pinned in 3:32 by Navy’s Brad Canterbury, and pinned at nationals in 1:40.

well The original poster said that only people that went to 4 years of high school in the state qualify so Martin spent 4 years in Maryland so this is a mute point ...In my opinion caldwell would beat everyone I have him ranked over, feel free to make your own list lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 9:33 PM, wrestlingrecruit said:

Indiana (just college results)

  1. Andrew Howe - 1x D1 Champ, 4x All American (1/2/2/3)
  2. Angel Escobedo- 1x D1 Champ, 4x All American (1/3/4/5)
  3. Jason Tsirtsis - 1x D1 Champ, 3x All American (1/3/7)
  4. Riley Lefever- 4x D3 Champ
  5. Kelvin Jackson - 1x D1 Champ
  6. Stevan Micic - 3x All American (2/3/4)
  7. Reece Humphrey - 2x All American (2/3)
  8. Leroy Vega - 3x All American (3/5/5)
  9. Greg Wagner - 3x All American (3/4/6)
  10. Nick Lee - 2x All American (5/5)
  11. Keith Davison - 2x All American (3/5)

Guys to watch: Mason Parris, Brayton Lee, Lucas Davison 

 

Thoughts

  • I went to 11 since Davison has better finishes than Nick Lee but Nick Lee was going to win or be runner up this season... I could see Lee jumping over Reese and maybe Micic when its all over
  • Chad Red barely misses the cut
  • I was doing research into this and stumbled upon Kelvin Jackson - no All American finishes outside of his championship for Michigan State 
  • Wasn't sure where to put Lefever, he's a stud but d3 vs d1 finishes
  • Another name to note is Brandon Wright, 2x NAIA champ

 

 

I’m looking over the list and I can’t help but insert Charlie McDanial in there somewhere. I know it was in the early years of the NCAA , but it was in the hay day if IU’s success. (1,2,-,1)

1935, ‘36,’37,’38. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

well The original poster said that only people that went to 4 years of high school in the state qualify so Martin spent 4 years in Maryland so this is a mute point ...In my opinion caldwell would beat everyone I have him ranked over, feel free to make your own list lol 

Yeah I mean if he doesn’t count in NJ that’s fine.  But he’s definitely in the top 10 if he does.  Caldwell definitely had a high peak but for the career it’s not even close.  Martin was a true freshman national champion over a 3X legend.  Caldwell was busy getting smoked by guys who couldn’t win a match at nationals as a freshman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Scrap Iron said:

Illinois  Sorry, I am not up on results.  This was off top of my head 

Larry Kristoff  Olympics

Tim Wright  4x DII NC  Rock Island

Earnest Benion  NC

Mike Poeta

Ron Clinton

Kevin Puebla  Moline

Mark Johnson  Rock Island

Booker Benford  NC

Al Sears  NC  All time pin record

Allan Grammer  DII NC and DI placer

Matt Lackey  Moline  NC

Mark Kristoff

Kip Kristoff

sure I am missing a few

Joe Williams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scrap Iron said:

Illinois  Sorry, I am not up on results.  This was off top of my head 

Larry Kristoff  Olympics

Tim Wright  4x DII NC  Rock Island

Earnest Benion  NC

Mike Poeta

Ron Clinton

Kevin Puebla  Moline

Mark Johnson  Rock Island

Booker Benford  NC

Al Sears  NC  All time pin record

Allan Grammer  DII NC and DI placer

Matt Lackey  Moline  NC

Mark Kristoff

Kip Kristoff

sure I am missing a few

No Williams brothers?  And Grammar was from Indiana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...