Broomstick

10 Best College Wrestlers From Each State

On 3/21/2020 at 7:56 AM, Tofurky said:

Correct! I'm sorry for the mistakes, and thank you for correcting them.

Yes to Midlands! Wasn't hosts last title the one surrounded by controversy against one of his own student-athletes?

My memory ain't what it used to be, but Joe's last Midlands title he was VERY close to losing against a kid from somewhere out east.   Want to say Penn or Rider, was maybe the semis?   He was in real deep on a shot late (or even in OT) that may have been called two if it was against anyone not named Joe Williams.   Joe ended up getting the winning TD shortly after, maybe even a counter to this TD attempt.

So yeah that's REAL fuzzy despite being there but 1) it was definitely controversial and 2) it wasn't against one of his own guys.  Go Huskies!

On 3/20/2020 at 10:35 AM, obie said:

First Post.

Must rep my alma mater, Waynesburg Central High School.

Coleman Scott 1xNC , 2x Finalist, 4x AA, 2012 Olympic Bronze, OK State

What the hell....Josh Koscheck 1xNC , 2x Finalist, 4x AA, Edinboro

Good list but I would take Strittmatter out and replace with Jordan Oliver

1 hour ago, jstock said:

Good list but I would take Strittmatter out and replace with Jordan Oliver

What?  I don’t see Strittmatter listed and Oliver did not go to Waynesburg.  Very confusing post.

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

My memory ain't what it used to be, but Joe's last Midlands title he was VERY close to losing against a kid from somewhere out east.   Want to say Penn or Rider, was maybe the semis?   He was in real deep on a shot late (or even in OT) that may have been called two if it was against anyone not named Joe Williams.   Joe ended up getting the winning TD shortly after, maybe even a counter to this TD attempt.

So yeah that's REAL fuzzy despite being there but 1) it was definitely controversial and 2) it wasn't against one of his own guys.  Go Huskies!

As you and I both know, you are way more up on this stuff than I am. I defer to you, sir. Gracias!

On 3/21/2020 at 8:55 AM, fadzaev2 said:

How about this one....Joey Gilbert 161-1 4 time state champion, only loss his freshman year, 2 time all-american at the University of Michigan, finishing 3rd and 6th.

Michigangrappler.com is counting down the top 50 Michigan High School wrestlers of all time, releasing 2 per day. They are down to #37 so far, with 36 and 35 to come out today!

Edited by MSU158

On 3/18/2020 at 8:22 PM, BadgerMon said:

1960s World's Most Outstanding Wrestler, Olympic Gold, NCAA Champ Doug Blubaugh doesn't even make the list?  Dang...

LeRoy Smith- NCAA Champ and World Silver, several time World Team member.

Mark Branch??  2 x NC 2 X NC Runner-up....

I know, right :D I tried to keep some of the old timers off the list, but had to put Hodge and Evans on there.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

New Jersey...I just went with the last 30 years or so, also i only included Blair guys that grew up and lived in NJ

1. Steve mocco- 2x champ 4 x finalist

2. Damian Hahn- 2x champ, 2x 5th place 

3. Jordan Burroughs 2x champ, 3rd place 

4.a .Matt valenti 2x champ, 5th, R12

4 B. Joe Dubuque 2x champ, 8th 

5. Darrion Caldwell, 1x champ, 1 x 5th, R12...I honestly believe he would have beat Dake his sr year if not for his shoulder injury 

6.Kellen Russell 2x champ, 7th 

7.Zach Esposito, 1x champ, 2nd and 3rd place finish

8. Frank molinaro 1x champ, 4 time AA, 8th, 5th, 2nd 

9.Anthony ashnault 1x champ, 4 time AA, 8th, 4th , 6th

10.Zach Rey 1x champ, 2nd, 3rd 

11. Dave Zabriskie 1x champ, 5th, 6th

honorable mention

Myles Martin 1x champ, 4 time AA, 5th, 2nd, 3rd

joey McKenna , 3rd 2 x, 2nd , R12

corey Cooperman, 3rd 2x , 7th 

james green .4 x AA, 3rd 2x, 7th 2x 

also McFadden would have most likely become a 4x AA and obviously if suriano returns to college he ll be on this list...pat glory seems to be on trajectory to possibly crack the top 10...Taylor Walsh was also a national finalist, his brother chad was a 2x AA and R12...so many great guys left out 

I'd throw Gene Mills on that list