Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

West Virginia Kid Screwed Over?

I'm not a very big at all of this channel, but I admit I fell for the clickbait. Does anyone else know more or have anything to add about this story? I watched the video, then thought, "huh..." and here we are.

19 minutes ago, Tofurky said:

I'm not a very big at all of this channel, but I admit I fell for the clickbait. Does anyone else know more or have anything to add about this story? I watched the video, then thought, "huh..." and here we are.

I like the guy who runs Fanco. Josiah does a great job providing wrestling content as well as explaining the various aspects of the sport. I've never seen him get so worked up like this - and rightly so. That's what wrestling needs, more people getting worked up, especially when our sport if effed with.

2 hours ago, Boompa said:

This guys fits in with Flo, it looks like he never wrestled.

He did wrestle.  For the storied Cannon McMillian High School.  He was above average for Western PA.  Good kid and definitely knows wrestling despite what he may look like.

38 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Very skeptical.  It makes no sense for the Big12 to initially declare no true 8th for 133.

Very odd situation.They decided to do a 9th-10th to determine who placed within 1 spot of allocation.But decided on no true 8th .I have talked to coaches in the room that say that's exactly what happened

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

The WV kid ended up forfeiting this true 8th place match?   Unfortunate.  In the end, they had to wrestle the match.  

WV lost his 7th place match then lost true 8th to Taylor Lamont the #1 seed.

6 minutes ago, calot said:

WV lost his 7th place match then lost true 8th to Taylor Lamont the #1 seed.

Pretty bad seeding. 1st seed lost to 8th 6-4 then 6th seed 5-3 8th seed lost in finals to 3rd seed.

I could see how they wouldn't anticipate a true 8th as it requires 2 rounds outside of normal bracket then the true 8th. But I assume those 9th place bouts would have been going on roughly in parallel with cons semis.

Siebert?

I think it was 1998 Big10 at PSU where the #1 ranked guy in the nation, Siebert of Illinois, was injured, not ready to wrestle BIg  10. So they kept randomly drawing the positions of the three pigtails until they came up with the situation where the #1 seed could forfeit 3 times and still get 8th, and be voted WC. Which he did, and won NCAA.

Assume name coincidence and confused karma

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Pretty bad seeding. 1st seed lost to 8th 6-4 then 6th seed 5-3 8th seed lost in finals to 3rd seed.

I could see how they wouldn't anticipate a true 8th as it requires 2 rounds outside of normal bracket then the true 8th. But I assume those 9th place bouts would have been going on roughly in parallel with cons semis.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't they anticipate that match? 

3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't they anticipate that match? 

I meant more that they might not figure to want to add the out of bracket  9th place matches. Apparently they added them at some point.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

I meant more that they might not figure to want to add the out of bracket  9th place matches. Apparently they added them at some point.

It being the other BIG, I could see how they don't have experience with 10th place! 

14 hours ago, RichB said:

Siebert?

I think it was 1998 Big10 at PSU where the #1 ranked guy in the nation, Siebert of Illinois, was injured, not ready to wrestle BIg  10. So they kept randomly drawing the positions of the three pigtails until they came up with the situation where the #1 seed could forfeit 3 times and still get 8th, and be voted WC. Which he did, and won NCAA.

Assume name coincidence and confused karma

That doesn't sound right as am certain Siebert injured his ribs in the B10 tournament.  He was undefeated #1, couldn't even practice the next two weeks, won by wrestling very controlled matches (opened up in finals) to protect the ribs. 

16 hours ago, StallWarning said:

I've tried watching his channel many times and I can never get past 14 seconds.

Considering your username I’d think you’d enjoy “Let’s stop stalling, and start talking wrestling!”  Guess not?

17 hours ago, StallWarning said:

I've tried watching his channel many times and I can never get past 14 seconds.

I'm with you. I sincerely appreciate what the young man is doing, but the delivery is not my cup of tea.