Broomstick

Best Division 1 School To Drop Wrestling

What Division 1 school had the best wrestling program that has been dropped?  By best program, I mean team results at the NCAA Championships and numbers of All Americans.  Boise State seems like the correct answer to me, but I know Clemson, Tennessee, Auburn and LSU had some success too, among others.

1 hour ago, Greatdane67 said:

Olympian Jason Gleasman.

Syracuse

Jim Nance 2 time HWT champ. His one loss was considered a horrible call (by Boomer among many others)

2 two time champs, about 5 1 time, 2 Olympians (Gene Mills in 1980)

Sadly their Alumni couldn't raise $1M in four years to save the program 

From back in my day (78-82), just off the top of my head  

Dropped Programs

LSU

Syracuse

Kentucky

Cleveland State 

Wilkes

Miami-Ohio

Oregon

Programs that declined greatly (various reasons)

Clarion, Bloomsbury, Lock Haven, Slippery Rock and some other small PA colleges that often cracked the Top 20 at DI Nationals, and almost always had some AA’s.

Hofstra...they were tough back then!

Oklahoma...such a rich history, but haven’t been relevant as a team threat for many years  

Maryland and NC State...obviously NC State has recently re-emerged under Popolizio  

Lehigh...yes, Lehigh...it was a dominant program back then under Thad Turner.  Not sure what happened. 

1 minute ago, Old Corps said:

Dropped Programs

LSU

Syracuse

Kentucky

Cleveland State 

Wilkes

Miami-Ohio

Oregon

Clarion, Bloomsbury, Lock Haven, Slippery Rock and some other small PA colleges that often cracked the Top 20 at DI Nationals, and almost always had some AA’s.

Oklahoma...such a rich history, but haven’t been relevant as a team threat for many years  

Maryland and NC State...obviously NC State has recently re-emerged under Popolizio  

Lehigh...yes, Lehigh...it was a dominant program back then under Thad Turner.  Not sure what happened. 

Cleveland State has a program still (barely it seems some years).  Slippery Rock does not.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

No scholarships until the 90s. (a short trial of a couple years in the 80s)

I have no ax to grind and I believe you.

But how could they be so competitive for so long (apparently without scholarships) and high academic standards?

Was Coach Turner just that good at attracting talent willing to pay their own way?

Just now, Old Corps said:

I have no ax to grind and I believe you.

But how could they be so competitive for so long (apparently without scholarships) and high academic standards?

Was Coach Turner just that good at attracting talent willing to pay their own way?

Don't forget how much the college cost inflation was. It really killed us in the 80s.

And, yes, to your second question.

20 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

Dropped Programs

LSU

Syracuse

Kentucky

Cleveland State 

Wilkes

Miami-Ohio

Oregon

Add Temple to your dropped programs.