• Kendall Coleman- Purdue
    • Shane Griffith- Stanford
    • Trent Hilday- NC State
    • Aaron Brooks- PSU
    • Lucas Davison- Northwestern
    • Tony Cassioppi- Iowa
    • Yaraslau Slavikouski- Harvard
    • Sammy Sasso- Ohio St.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/23/2020 at 01:00 AM

9 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

No Sasso for freshman?

Dangit! I thought I was so thorough and then I miss the obvious one. He has been added now, and since he is ranked the highest out of all of them, I will give him special consideration before the next poll.

Edited by russelscout

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Why would Stevenson be on list, sure most talked about anticipated NC etc etc but he never showed up & did a thing.  :(

Also Cael should be on there for retaining his defending team championship title. :)

Simply for being undefeated. The only undefeated wrestler who is not on that list is Kolodzik.

I didn't add Cael because he had his 2nd lowest finish at the Big10's in the last 10 years. Its not a slight to him, but I felt like adding him would be purely based on past experiences. Unfortunately he has set a very high standard for himself.

Steveson never showed up?  He was a pretty dominant force this year taking care of Cassiopi and Parris, while Parris cleared out everyone else comfortably as well.

In fact I don't think Steveson gave up an offensive point this year did he?

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

Why would Stevenson be on list, sure most talked about anticipated NC etc etc but he never showed up & did a thing.  :(

Also Cael should be on there for retaining his defending team championship title. :)

Dang you and that tired old joke!

Edited by headshuck

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Simply for being undefeated. The only undefeated wrestler who is not on that list is Kolodzik.

I didn't add Cael because he had his 2nd lowest finish at the Big10's in the last 10 years. Its not a slight to him, but I felt like adding him would be purely based on past experiences. Unfortunately he has set a very high standard for himself.

Oh sure sneak back and edit the names. 

Carl was gonna win it so...

Spencer Lee, Brands or Manning, and Sasso.  

Brooks would not have had good chance to win title if Valencia did not mess up.  Sasso had tougher road and still had good chance.  I didn't think Sasso should have got back points at the end of match verse Lugo first time I watched, but I saw a few replays days later and I think Sasso could have gotten points for that.  

41 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Brooks would not have had good chance to win title if Valencia did not mess up.  Sasso had tougher road and still had good chance.  I didn't think Sasso should have got back points at the end of match verse Lugo first time I watched, but I saw a few replays days later and I think Sasso could have gotten points for that.  

Sasso didn't have anyone like Valencia. Going in, I would say Sasso and Brooks sat in a similar situation but Brooks had a better record.

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Sasso didn't have anyone like Valencia. Going in, I would say Sasso and Brooks sat in a similar situation but Brooks had a better record.

Without Valencia, I think the top 5 at 149 is much stronger than the top 5 at 184.  That was my point.  Also, my point was that throughout the season Brooks was clearly not the best 184- it was Valencia.  Just at end could you make a strong argument for Brooks, without Valencia.  

I think Sasso is a little better (especially if he improve his offense) but it's the old argument, but he has tougher division.  I think it depends on your stance of Sasso at the Big 10s.  Should he have gotten danger points?  I think if the ref starts the count, Lugo might concede a takedown.  Who knows what would have happened.  But the ref messed up by not counting. 

1 minute ago, shieldofpistis said:

Without Valencia, I think the top 5 at 149 is much stronger than the top 5 at 184.  That was my point.  Also, my point was that throughout the season Brooks was clearly not the best 184- it was Valencia.  Just at end could you make a strong argument for Brooks, without Valencia.  

I think Sasso is a little better (especially if he improve his offense) but it's the old argument, but he has tougher division.  I think it depends on your stance of Sasso at the Big 10s.  Should he have gotten danger points?  I think if the ref starts the count, Lugo might concede a takedown.  Who knows what would have happened.  But the ref messed up by not counting. 

Is a win over Venz that much less impressive than a win over Lugo? I dont know. I personally though Brooks was going to win it all at the NCAAs after Valencia is out. I dont think he should be punished because Valencia was so good.

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Is a win over Venz that much less impressive than a win over Lugo? I dont know. I personally though Brooks was going to win it all at the NCAAs after Valencia is out. I dont think he should be punished because Valencia was so good.

Well Russel, I'm a Buckeye fan so I'm going to side with the Buckeye :) 

I voted for both Brands and Ersland, but I’ll tell you, my love for Brands and Iowa, what has been accomplished this year is biased in my part.  I actually really want Ersland to get it.  What he’s done there and building what was down and a bit broken, in the Big 10, is super impressive.

1 minute ago, Schuteandscore said:

I voted for both Brands and Ersland, but I’ll tell you, my love for Brands and Iowa, what has been accomplished this year is biased in my part.  I actually really want Ersland to get it.  What he’s done there and building what was down and a bit broken, in the Big 10, is super impressive.

Im a biiiiiiig Brands fan and he gets my vote. What Ersland has done is impressive. I really thought Storniolo would get more votes. Nwestern with 2 #1 seeds is impressive.

Storniolowas in my thoughts and the next guy, with taking over for Pariano, honestly thought it was going down.  He proved that wrong and with those obstacles has coached that program back up which is crazy.  That was my point, being a coach it’s not just (vote for the coach who wins the title) type attitude, but I think Brands is amazing.  But in terms of obstacles and expectations, Ersland and Storniolo have coached the hell out of those teams and I think one of them is well deserving as well.

18 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Brooks was going to pin Valencia.

21 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

I think Coleman Scott could've had a vote for coach of the year just sayin.

I thought about Coleman. I think he is a great coach. I entertained the idea of having Robie too. The deciding factor was the finish at ACC's. Pitt got fourth in 2019 and 2nd in 2020 where North Carolina got 3rd both years. Even though Pitt did lose to North Carolina in a dual this year, I felt Pitt had continued to improve a tad more than North Carolina had. Lots of great coaches and I couldn't have everyone.

Edited by russelscout