TexRef

HBCUs?

On 3/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, ConnorsDad said:

Jason,  I have always wondered this and now it seems a good time to ask. Wouldn't it help men if football was counted as a co-ed sport? Why isn't it? I realize they're probably not any women in college football but that doesn't mean they can't participate. If football was considered coed than every other sport would have equal numbers. Or is there something I'm missing?

lol no. there are no women on the rosters, there are virtually no high school programs that could even feed athletes in to the programs. this is an attempt to lawyer a way out of a situation by being intentionally disingenuous. you could just as easily call wrestling a co-ed sport by this logic.

football, because it is all men, and has both a disproportionately large roster and budget, will always cause problems in a Title IX numbers game but from what i can see as long as there is reasonable equity in the non-football offerings a school stands a better chance of compliance. if you really want to keep or add wrestling programs, encourage schools to sponsor field hockey.

51 minutes ago, ugarte said:

lol no. there are no women on the rosters, there are virtually no high school programs that could even feed athletes in to the programs. this is an attempt to lawyer a way out of a situation by being intentionally disingenuous. you could just as easily call wrestling a co-ed sport by this logic.

football, because it is all men, and has both a disproportionately large roster and budget, will always cause problems in a Title IX numbers game but from what i can see as long as there is reasonable equity in the non-football offerings a school stands a better chance of compliance. if you really want to keep or add wrestling programs, encourage schools to sponsor field hockey.

They should exempt football honestly. 

9 minutes ago, Nicholas Strub said:

Football is going to look like a glorified passing league in another 15 years.

27 minutes ago, Nicholas Strub said:

Seriously?!?!  <eye roll>

I believe we have 3 or 4 hbcus with wrestling.  Arkansas Baptist of the NAIA which has horrid support, Allen also comes to mind.  Want to say Jarvis Christian too, but no roster or coach listed.

On 3/19/2020 at 6:40 PM, TripNSweep said:

Didn't David Morgan who later wrestled for Michigan State start at a HBCU?  I thought he wrestled for Howard but I could be wrong.  

He wrestled for Morgan State his freshman year and was an NCAA qualifier.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/7181681-hbcu-wrestling-and-morgan-state-announce-new-wrestling-program

"HBCUW will reestablish wrestling programs on HBCU campuses, starting with Morgan State University. Over the course of the next five years, HBCUW will launch wrestling programs and begin endowments at six HBCUs with the goal of expanding access to the opportunities created by wrestling for the Black community, expanding the Black community’s footprint and power within the sport, and investing in the critical institutions that HBCUs represent. "

This is so awesome!!! I have told my Wife for years, that if I had ever won the lottery one of the first things I would do is endow the wrestling program at Howard University.  Seems like someone else had a similar dream!!  I wonder how they will pick the next 5 teams (Location, History, Support)?   The coaching search for Morgan should be interesting!!