Sign in to follow this  
Antitroll2828

Best ever 1 time ncaa qualifier

17 minutes ago, Bodyd said:

Whitmer all the way

Amen.  His semi is one of my all time favorite youtube videos:  Matside camera.  No announcers screwing it up.  Great job by the cameraman cutting to the scoreboard.  Can hear every word from Moore's coaches.  Roars from the Iowa crowd.  Ed Aliverti's voice on the PA echoing around the big gym.  Whitmer's classic underhooks and balance produce five (count 'em, five) takedowns.  The desperate struggle in the third period.  Both competitors' reactions at the end.

The videos back then were the official videos. Gordon Connell was in charge. They guys were well trained. I'm not sure when they switched from this system to current. I think this system was in place as long as I was doing the computers which was up to 2006. They made copies for each team in the bout.

Nowadays, if you hear a coach from a school called to the head table it's pretty much like being called to the vice-principal's office. Generally, about some penalty. Back then it could also be that the coach simply left the mat without picking up the video.

On another note, the official is a good friend of mine (these days not back in the 70s) Freddie Richardson from nearby Reading, Pa. He goes about 5 feet if that. I used to assign the officials to matches for the EIWAs during the 80s. Mostly just a straight rotation unless the official went to the same school as one of the kids. However, as Fred reminds me and everyone around when he sees me like a couple weeks ago at regions, I would always make sure he did heavyweight!

5 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Whitmer by far.  Made the most of his only chance.  He wasn't even supposed to be the starter that year either apparently. 

How could he be the best BY FAR? Cassar made the most of his only chance too. Plus he beat Steveson who will probably go down as one of our best heavyweights in the modern era. 

13 hours ago, drag it said:

Amen.  His semi is one of my all time favorite youtube videos:  Matside camera.  No announcers screwing it up.  Great job by the cameraman cutting to the scoreboard.  Can hear every word from Moore's coaches.  Roars from the Iowa crowd.  Ed Aliverti's voice on the PA echoing around the big gym.  Whitmer's classic underhooks and balance produce five (count 'em, five) takedowns.  The desperate struggle in the third period.  Both competitors' reactions at the end.

Gable was on crutches that year....maybe hip replacement.  It was at Northern Iowa/Unidome.

Edited by fadzaev2

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

How could he be the best BY FAR? Cassar made the most of his only chance too. Plus he beat Steveson who will probably go down as one of our best heavyweights in the modern era. 

A 2 time champ at HWT is one of the best ever? First, he hasn’t done anything but a 3rd place. Plenty of HWTs won 2 titles that I’d put over him.

18 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

A 2 time champ at HWT is one of the best ever? First, he hasn’t done anything but a 3rd place. Plenty of HWTs won 2 titles that I’d put over him.

Well if Steveson wins two titles, he should have an asterisk as “only a two timer” because he lost this year when he was the clear favorite to win it. Plus I am figuring he will have some good international results to put on his resume as well. Say he is undefeated in college for three years in a row and makes the Olympic team while in college, that would put him in a very elite group. All speculation of course, but my point is that what Cassar did was down right impressive!