Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Best College Wrestler to Never Start for His Team

Jeremiah Tobias of Michigan.  Now head coach at Alma.

4X Michigan High School State Champ.

Set the single season(17) and career(57) fall record for Uof M from 01-05, mainly wrestling and winning opens like MSU, EMU and Cleveland State.

Sat behind Mike Kulczycki as a RSfreshman(01-02) at 149.  Mike would get the 6th seed and finish R12 losing in the quarters and R12.

Sat behind Ryan Churella as a RSSO(02-03) at 149.  Ryan would go 2-2 as a RSFR.

Sat behind Ryan Churella as a RSJR(03-04) at 149.  Ryan would take 3rd as a RSSO.

Sat behind Eric Tannenbaum as a RSSR(04-05) at 149.  Eric would take 4th as a RSFR

Edited by MSU158

I think Jeren Glosser could be up there:

According to wrestlestat 73-19 for his career with 47% bonus rate:

2019-2020: beat at least 3 NQ’s that I see (Cole Martin, Kizhan Clarke, and McCoy Kent)

2018-2019: beat at least 4 NQ’s that I see (Eric Barone 2x, Luke Weiland, Chase Straw, John Van Brill), also pinned Kendall Coleman who was redshirting

Edited by 1032004

On 3/20/2020 at 11:10 AM, 1032004 said:

I think Jeren Glosser could be up there:

According to wrestlestat 73-19 for his career with 47% bonus rate:

2019-2020: beat at least 3 NQ’s that I see (Cole Martin, Kizhan Clarke, and McCoy Kent)

2018-2019: beat at least 4 NQ’s that I see (Eric Barone 2x, Luke Weiland, Chase Straw, John Van Brill), also pinned Kendall Coleman who was redshirting

This was a name that popped into my head. Proved that he could hang with the best at midlands multiple times. 

First really count for this thread because they didn’t step on the mat for “other” reasons but Andrew campolattano and TJ Sebolt come to mind as well. 

2 hours ago, Witherman said:

This was a name that popped into my head. Proved that he could hang with the best at midlands multiple times. 

First really count for this thread because they didn’t step on the mat for “other” reasons but Andrew campolattano and TJ Sebolt come to mind as well. 

Campo was actually R12 for tOSU in 2012. He beat some tough guys in that bracket too(McIntosh, Powless and Huntley). Both his losses were to AA’s in OT(Micah Burak and Sonny Yohn). 

3 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Randomly popped into my brain.  Did Jake Deitchler ever officially step on the mat for the Gophers?

Yes he did. In the dual meet against Penn State that year, he beat one of the Alton brothers (critical, Gophers needed him to win to win the dual.)

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

3 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Yes he did. In the dual meet against Penn State that year, he beat one of the Alton brothers (critical, Gophers needed him to win to win the dual.)

Even had Deitchler gotten decked by Dylan Alton, Minnesota still would've won the dual. (that was the first year of criteria, and Minnesota would've had Penn State 6-4 in match wins...Molinaro, Taylor, and Ruth were the only winners for the Nittany Lions on Earth One).

19 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Even had Deitchler gotten decked by Dylan Alton, Minnesota still would've won the dual. (that was the first year of criteria, and Minnesota would've had Penn State 6-4 in match wins...Molinaro, Taylor, and Ruth were the only winners for the Nittany Lions on Earth One).

I almost always fact-check my memory before posting but was lazy here. You caught me. I'm 100% guilty.

To do a more accurate and complete post - I do remember Jake's match being critical for the team win - because at that point in the dual it basically was. I don't think many saw Steinhaus handling Wright at 184 and, instead, expected 184 likely to go the other way. So the #9 vs #11 matchup was the closest we'd expect to see going into the final match - where if everything had gone the way the rankings indicated, it would have been tied 17-17. If MINN lost the #9 v #11 (and we didn't see an upset at 184), we could have been down by 3 with Nelson needing a major to win outright. So - pretty critical at the time for our chances. Steinhaus put that to rest.

(Note that it was an upset - at the time, Nov. 2011, PSU was ranked #2 while Minn was ranked #3. It was a good one - highly recommended if you can find it on YouTube.)

Results:
125: MN 3 PSU 0 #2 Zach Sanders MINN dec. #18 Nico Megaludis PSU, 6-2 
133: MN 7 PSU 0 #7 David Thorn MINN maj. dec. Derek Reber PSU, 14-5
141: MN 11 PSU 0 #10 Nick Dardanes MINN maj. dec. Sam Sherlock PSU, 19-6
149: MN 11 PSU 3 #1 Frank Molinaro PSU dec. #5 Dylan Ness MINN, 16-10
157: MN 14 PSU 3 #9 Jake Deitchler MINN dec. #11 Dylan Alton PSU, 9-4
165: MN 14 PSU 8 #1 David Taylor PSU tech. fall #8 Cody Yohn MINN, 16-1 (TF; 4:29)
174: MN 14 PSU 14 #2 Ed Ruth PSU pinned Alec Ortiz MINN, 2:48
184: MN 17 PSU 14 #6 Kevin Steinhaus MINN dec. #1 Quentin Wright PSU, 6-1
197: MN 20 PSU 14 #2 Sonny Yohn MINN dec. #10 Morgan McIntosh PSU, 4-3
285: MN 23 PSU 14 #3 Tony Nelson MINN dec. #4 Cameron Wade PSU, 5-0

Randy May, Cleveland State. 
Came down with a crippling disease before his freshman year started. He lost the use of his legs. 
3 time state champion , From Bloomington, Indiana,  in a one class tournament. When high school freshmen were not allowed in the state tournament at that time. 

Edited by southend

32 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I almost always fact-check my memory before posting but was lazy here. You caught me. I'm 100% guilty.

To do a more accurate and complete post - I do remember Jake's match being critical for the team win - because at that point in the dual it basically was. I don't think many saw Steinhaus handling Wright at 184 and, instead, expected 184 likely to go the other way. So the #9 vs #11 matchup was the closest we'd expect to see going into the final match - where if everything had gone the way the rankings indicated, it would have been tied 17-17. If MINN lost the #9 v #11 (and we didn't see an upset at 184), we could have been down by 3 with Nelson needing a major to win outright. So - pretty critical at the time for our chances. Steinhaus put that to rest.

(Note that it was an upset - at the time, Nov. 2011, PSU was ranked #2 while Minn was ranked #3. It was a good one - highly recommended if you can find it on YouTube.)

Results:
125: MN 3 PSU 0 #2 Zach Sanders MINN dec. #18 Nico Megaludis PSU, 6-2 
133: MN 7 PSU 0 #7 David Thorn MINN maj. dec. Derek Reber PSU, 14-5
141: MN 11 PSU 0 #10 Nick Dardanes MINN maj. dec. Sam Sherlock PSU, 19-6
149: MN 11 PSU 3 #1 Frank Molinaro PSU dec. #5 Dylan Ness MINN, 16-10
157: MN 14 PSU 3 #9Jake Deitchler MINN dec. #11 Dylan Alton PSU, 9-4
165: MN 14 PSU 8 #1 David Taylor PSU tech. fall #8 Cody Yohn MINN, 16-1 (TF; 4:29)
174: MN 14 PSU 14 #2 Ed Ruth PSU pinned Alec Ortiz MINN, 2:48
184: MN 17 PSU 14 #6 Kevin Steinhaus MINN dec. #1 Quentin Wright PSU, 6-1
197: MN 20 PSU 14 #2 Sonny Yohn MINN dec. #10 Morgan McIntosh PSU, 4-3
285: MN 23 PSU 14 #3 Tony Nelson MINN dec. #4 Cameron Wade PSU, 5-0

Remember it quite well...I was there, after all.

One thing that's pretty remarkable (and believe this is a good fit for a different thread, but it's relevant here as well)...don't think there was a single wrestler in the country with such a drastic dichotomy in terms of their dual performance versus tournament performance as Quentin Wright. In a ho-hum November dual, he was more than capable of losing a 6-1 match to Kevin Steinhaus, but that match was certainly going the other way in any match in a basketball arena the first weekend of March (or the weeks around Christmas and New Year's), or in a hockey venue the third weekend of March.

1 hour ago, southend said:

Randy May, Cleveland State. 
Came down with a crippling disease before his freshman year started. He lost the use of his legs. 
3 time state champion , From Bloomington, Indiana,  in a one class tournament. When high school freshmen were not allowed in the state tournament at that time. 

Well deserved mention.  Unfortunate end to his career.  

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

One thing that's pretty remarkable (and believe this is a good fit for a different thread, but it's relevant here as well)...don't think there was a single wrestler in the country with such a drastic dichotomy in terms of their dual performance versus tournament performance as Quentin Wright. In a ho-hum November dual, he was more than capable of losing a 6-1 match to Kevin Steinhaus, but that match was certainly going the other way in any match in a basketball arena the first weekend of March (or the weeks around Christmas and New Year's), or in a hockey venue the third weekend of March.

Jaggers comes to mind. He spent the regular season slowly managing his weight with the sole purpose of peaking in March. As a result, how he should be seeded for B1Gs and NCAA’s was  a super hot topic his last 2 seasons. 

The guy was simply a different wrestler in March!

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Oh, yes. We were both there. That one would be hard to forget.

Back to the topic at hand:

OK - Here we go... Marcus LeVesseur for Minn. Transferred out before competing, but technically Minn was briefly 'his team.'