Jimmy Cinnabon

For Mark Hall haters

Jimmy – I sincerely believe no one here really disliked Mark Hall. The only dislike for him was because he beat “their” guy, nothing more. What this young man just wrote was from the heart and inspirational and I bet it would be very difficult to find someone in this forum to disagree. Thanks for sharing this with us.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Why?  Many non-PSU fans hate Mark Hall and criticize his post match celebrations as arrogant or classless.

I think he means this is not for Mark Hall haters at all. Its so Mark Hall fans can swoon over what a class act he is.

8 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Inappropriate title.

JC - he does have a point. Perhaps you might consider revising it. How about just "Mark Hall - that should be enough. I'm sure these guys frequent these forums and I bet he would appreciate a more positive title to coincide with his positive message. Please consider.

5 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I think he means this is not for Mark Hall haters at all. Its so Mark Hall fans can swoon over what a class act he is.

No, this is for Mark Hall haters because I think after they read this article they won't hate him.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

No, this is for Mark Hall haters because I think after they read this article they won't hate him.

I don't hate Mark Hall. He is super talented, clearly a hard worker, fun to watch, and his celebrations never bothered me. However, the article is nothing earth shattering to me. 

Wait, so a college senior is thankful for his college wrestling opportunity despite the unfortunate circumstances? You mean to tell me he thinks that his school helped him develop into a man and his school is the best? You could change out Mark Halls name on that article, put in anyone else's, change the school, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

A hater could just as easily see this as an attention seeker being an oppurtunist. I'm sure Joseph feels similar, but he didn't need to come out with an article. Really this could further cement the haters feelings that Mark Hall is attention hungry.

I don't feel that way. Not because of this article, but because he is talented and has earned that attention for being so good for sooo long already. 

Edited by russelscout

13 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I don't hate Mark Hall. He is super talented, clearly a hard worker, fun to watch, and his celebrations never bothered me. However, the article is nothing earth shattering to me. 

Wait, so a college senior is thankful for his college wrestling opportunity despite the unfortunate circumstances? You mean to tell me he thinks that his school helped him develop into a man and his school is the best? You could change out Mark Halls name on that article, put in anyone else's, change the school, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

A hater could just as easily see this as an attention seeker being an oppurtunist. I'm sure Joseph feels similar, but he didn't need to come out with an article. Really this could further cement the haters feelings that Mark Hall is attention hungry.

I don't feel that way. Not because of this article, but because he is talented and has earned that attention for being so good for sooo long already. 

I guess the difference is, that he did this.  If any other seniors had an article written about them and they said those things, we would be praising that person also.

Just now, Mokoma said:

I guess the difference is, that he did this.  If any other seniors had an article written about them and they said those things, we would be praising that person also.

For what? Being cliche or just being able to write? 

Excuse me, and I am sure I will piss people off here, but it just seems self serving. 

I had the same response with Gabe Dean's letter to wrestling. It just seems like a good ole pat on your own back.

12 minutes ago, russelscout said:

For what? Being cliche or just being able to write? 

Excuse me, and I am sure I will piss people off here, but it just seems self serving. 

I had the same response with Gabe Dean's letter to wrestling. It just seems like a good ole pat on your own back.

Now imagine Spencer Lee wrote the article.  Would you have the same criticism?

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Now imagine Spencer Lee wrote the article.  Would you have the same criticism?

Yes.

But Spencer would never write something like this; something that was solely focused on himself. Mark was a part of 3 National Championship teams, and the only thing he finds to say about his team is this:

I could start with the end, becoming the leader and teammate I have always envisioned myself being and battling with the team that just couldn’t seem to catch a break.

Becoming the leader and teammate I have always envisioned myself being? Pretty self centered article.

Edited by russelscout

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

Yes.

But Spencer would never write something like this; something that was solely focused on himself. Mark was a part of 3 National Championship teams, and the only thing he finds to say about his team is this:

Becoming the leader and teammate I have always envisioned myself being? Pretty self centered article.

1. You don't know that. Do you know him personally?

2. I see nothing self centered about this. We had a focus on being a good team leader and teammate. I would bet most of his coaches and teammates feel the same way about him. 

Would it be self centered of a man to envision himself being a good husband and father to his kids when getting married.. and then 30 years later feel as if he did so?

Ive been on record of not being all woos and ahhs when it comes to Mark Hall, but there was nothing wrong with this article and I disagree 100% with you when you say you would feel the same way if Spencer Lee wrong something similar. You would be praising him for how it was a nice heartfelt article.

And JC.... Pay your debts.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

30 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

1. You don't know that. Do you know him personally?

2. I see nothing self centered about this. We had a focus on being a good team leader and teammate. I would bet most of his coaches and teammates feel the same way about him. 

Would it be self centered of a man to envision himself being a good husband and father to his kids when getting married.. and then 30 years later feel as if he did so?

Ive been on record of nothing being all woos and ahhs when it comes to Mark Hall, but there was nothing wrong with this article and I disagree 100% with you when you say you would feel the same way if Spencer Lee wrong something similar. You would be praising him for how it was a nice heartfelt article.

1. No, so add "In my opinion". Sorry, I thought it went without saying that this was opinion.

2. It just reads like "In this time of struggle for the wrestlers and wrestling fans, let me remind everyone a list of all my accomplishments, how much I have grown, and oh yeah, thanks to PSU for helping me do all that growing."

HAHA what a weird comparison. No, but it would be weird if that man wrote an op-ed letting everyone know how good of a man, husband and father he was, wouldn't it?

Ive been on record of nothing being all woos and ahhs when it comes to Mark Hall, but there was nothing wrong with this article and I disagree 100% with you when you say you would feel the same way if Spencer Lee wrong something similar. You would be praising him for how it was a nice heartfelt article.

You don't know that. Do you know me personally?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the article per se. I think it was written for PSU fans on a PSU site. However, if people really think this is some testament of character that is going to change the minds of those that don't like Hall, you are completely wrong. What part of this article do you think would change peoples minds about him? I think everyone is just patting him on the back because he wrote a coherent article. I mean really, what part of the article really impressed you?

Also, I wouldn't do that for Spencer because:

1. I don't think he would. Ok maybe he would write something, but not something that was so self centered. He very consciously makes everything about the team.

2. I don't really praise Lee for those things. Seriously, find me a place where I have. I'm sure he is a great kid, but he is also a guy who is very aware of the way he comes across, and that's not lost on me. Like you said, I don't even know him, so why would I act like he is this amazing person. He is however an amazing wrestler.

I love how we have now made this about Spencer Lee. When all else fails, deflect deflect deflect. 

Like I said, I think Mark Hall is good kid. I just think this comes across as attention seeking, more than gratitude, which is why most people have a problem with him the first place. Thats not all his fault, since most wrestling media has put him in the spotlight since he was in 7th grade, but this article doesn't really help that image.

Edited by russelscout