CoachWrestling

Car Kolat leaves Campbell for Navy

Dang.  Kolat put a lot of heart into the Campbell program.  Definitely thought we would see him there for some time.  At Campbell he could play up the small school underdog roll where you still got the attention of a big name coach. Kinda thought he found his niche with that.  It’s a different type of recruiting games and clientele when you coach at military academy school.  Good luck to him. 

Edited by MadMardigain

Mixed feelings about this that are leaning to the sad side. I like the idea of Navy becoming a more competitive team nationally, as they surely will under Kolat. I’m also very sad to see him leave Campbell, i think they still had a lot of room to trend upwards, and it seemed like the admin at the school was fully behind him(assumptions, we never know the full story). I was very much enjoying watching the camels become a team that could upset big schools in a dual or place top ten at nationals (not saying that’s where they were this year, but I think Campbell had that trajectory under Kolat)

Wow!  Definitely a surprise, but curious to see the same success at Navy and what the challenges will be.  He’s a guy who seems make excellent decisions and continues to overperform, so I have to believe it happens again.  Making surprising changes to further himself and programs has seemingly always worked out for him.

What’s going to be interesting will be to see what happens with some of the recruits Campbell has gotten under Kolat. I don’t remember any names off the top of my head, but I do remember seeing some decent kids commit to Campbell in the upcoming classes. 

21 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

This is shocking to me. I thought Kolat liked being at the small under the radar school in the middle of nowhere North Carolina. I wish him the best though. 

I don't think you were wrong heels.  I believe he did like it there.  

Just now, Mphillips said:

I don't think you were wrong heels.  I believe he did like it there.  

I guess all good things have to come to an end eventually. I really hope he keeps finding success. Cary is such an easy guy to root for. 

Yeah happy for Kolat and excited to see what Navy can do but the story with Campbell was nothing short of amazing. 

Curious what the draw was with Navy, as they've never been a big time program.  The area?  He took his name out of the running of some high end coaching positions the last couple years, definitely bigger programs traditionally than Navy. 

This could be a win-win for D1 because we know Kolat will take Navy to a higher level but like others don't want to see Campbell falter.  Hopefully they get the right guy in there, simliar to Hahn taking over at SDSU

Kinda crappy for the Campbell signers/commits, doubt they can get a Naval Academy recommendation to follow Kolat. Will they be released from their LOI?

Edited by Tommy Payan
misspelled word

Glad for him and Navy.  Tough to recruit everyone with the standards they have and getting someone to commit for 6-8 years will be a challenge.  But I like the prospect of him being available to our armed forces, I think he is going to do some interesting things. 

How about  Logan Stieber as his replacement?   

I think Kolat’s attitude and philosophies will mesh well with those at Annapolis. 

He’ll ratchet up the sense of urgency and commitment among the wrestlers, and will bring out the best in them. He’ll also draw some “fence-sitters”...guys who were thinking about the Academy already, and who will now sign because Kolat will be there. 

Kolat will also likely bring in new blood in the coaching ranks, which will add value. 

Great move by USNA; Kolat is a winner and makes others want to win, too. 

GO NAVY!

Does Campbell stay within & promote  Scotti Sentes (or) do they conduct a national search similar to what Oregon State is currently doing ?

Assuming Kolat is leaving on good terms, his recommendations would likely carry significant weight.

If I am not mistaken, Cary remains close with Bruce Burnett, former HC at Navy from 2000-2013. Kolat may have had a leg (or two) up on that job opportunity in more ways than one.

I wonder if he will be able to get some of these top end academic studs who consider the Ivies, Northwestern, Standford, Michigan, as options to shift their mindsets to a service academy. As a veteran, I hope he can.

Psyched for Cary and Navy; bummed for Campbell.

I imagine this is a decent pay raise, and doesn't he have some family or other connection to Maryland.
I've heard Kyle Snyder say in interviews that he used to train at Kolat's club in Maryland when he was a kid. So he definitely has at least some connection to the area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

I've heard Kyle Snyder say in interviews that he used to train at Kolat's club in Maryland when he was a kid. So he definitely has at least some connection to the area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When a young Pat McCaffrey was leaving Iowa (after his freshman year in Illinois) to chase his third high school title in PA, wasn't he going to attend a private school in PA while living with Cary in Maryland?