CoachWrestling

Car Kolat leaves Campbell for Navy

8 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I always thought that Kolat had some iffy aspscts to his background-- and that was why he wasn't coaching at a top school. Am I completely wrong about that?

I think he's headstrong and not good with administration, but at Navy maybe that's not a bad thing 

I believe Dean Heil is an assistant coach at Campbell, and his younger brother Josh is currently on their roster. I know that some current members of Campbell's wrestling program enrolled in large part due to Kolat. Surprised by this move.

Maybe it's this: "After his college wrestling career ended, Kolat finished his degree in criminal justice at Lock Haven, graduating in July 2003. He then coached at Lock Haven, Lehigh, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and North Carolina.[4] He now runs a wrestling instructional website called Kolat.com." 

That means he did not get his degree until 6 years after he stopped competing. Maybe no big deal, but maybe a red flag.

Plus, he left Penn State for Lock Haven. Granted the move worked out. But why would he do that?

Just now, GockeS said:

its all in the flo movie about him

at least his side

What's in the Flo movie? And, of course, "his side" would not contain the bad stuff (if there is any). Flo movies are puff pieces.

8 minutes ago, GockeS said:

he says fritz told him that he ran the team.

when he asked to redshirt

OK, that seems a reasonable statement by the coach. Why did he want to redshirt?

9 minutes ago, GockeS said:

and yes there was some bad stuff

drinking

Aha!

Freshman wrestler Cary Kolat has been suspended indefinitely by Coach John Fritz following an alcohol-related incident on campus early Sunday morning.

An officer found Kolat lying unconscious outside of Willard Building at 4:05 a.m. when temperatures had dipped to 6 degrees, University Police Services said.

The officer then cited Kolat for public drunkenness, University police said. A public drunkenness charge is a summary offense, much like a traffic ticket. Punishment is limited to a $300 fine or 90 days in jail, or both. https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_b8e5bffe-ba40-57d6-b2b3-834fffb035a7.html

You would be surprised on how fast people are to jump on a coaching gig at an academy:

1.  No title IX, so your job is safe from that aspect.

2.  Unlimited scholarships.  You can have a roster of 50!

3.  You don’t get beat up for donor cash as much.  

4.  They give you a rent free house on base.  With paid utilities.

5.  Less distracted wrestlers.  

I bet Burnett pushed him in the direction to coach at Navy.

On the hire.  I don’t like this at all.  West Point has a good pipeline in PA, and this is a threat. CRAP.  First no NCAAs, now this.  

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Anyway, I would think that that stuff might turn Navy away. But it was all years ago and I am glad CK is getting his shot. I hope he does well. I think he will.

It's not a lot of stuff.

He got cited for public drunkenness as a college freshman in the 1990s. Not DUI, no assault; he was passed out drunk.  His first year on campus.  Once.  

He (successfully) transferred colleges, like many wrestlers have.  Part of that was because he is headstrong, which goes along with resiliency, a characteristic that has allowed him to survive a near fatal accident as a small child; the kind of out of control sports parenting from his father that usually turns people away from their sport and toward an aimless life; and a Sisyphusian series of the most egregious international cheating incidents in the history of the sport.  Probably that same persistence brought him back to school to finish his degree as an adult.  I would view these as right in line with the characteristics the service academies would want in their teachers.

He was the greatest high school wrestler of all time, a 2× NCAA champ, and a multiple time world team member/2× world medalist/three time screw job victim.

He is a highly respected technician.  And he has demonstrated a remarkable ability to build a D1 program as head coach.

Plus he's awesome when he's mic'd up in the corner:

Cary Kolat Mic'd Up
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6304399-cary-kolat-micd-up

6 hours ago, Tofurky said:

When a young Pat McCaffrey was leaving Iowa (after his freshman year in Illinois) to chase his third high school title in PA, wasn't he going to attend a private school in PA while living with Cary in Maryland?

Delone Catholic in Hanover Pa

Good move for Kolat as Campbell only has a 180+ million dollar endowment for more than 7,100 students (In this climate, the institution would need 5x this amount to be relatively free from the financial struggles of higher ed). Thus Institutionally, I would worry that the university would be at risk and very unlikely to invest and capitalize on the recent success of the DIV 1, non revenue sport (I hope I am wrong). Navy likely pays more (so good for Kolat and his family) and is funded by the federal gov't, providing a good deal of job security. Navy will never be a top program, but can compete in a much higher profile conference. Plus with the elite athlete program in the Army/Marines for Greco, there could be potential to develop a Freestyle program as well. 

Edited by MPC

Coaches at Kolat's level are recruited by AD's that want to build strong programs. They don't apply. I'm thankful for what he has accomplished at Campbell. Kolat developed a program that creates wonderful opportunities for student-athletes. Now it's time for him to build another program in his vision.

9 hours ago, wrestleFan12 said:

I believe Dean Heil is an assistant coach at Campbell, and his younger brother Josh is currently on their roster. I know that some current members of Campbell's wrestling program enrolled in large part due to Kolat. Surprised by this move.

Dean was at Campbell training briefly but ended up at Oklahoma with Guerrero.Mike Evans and Scott Sentes were assistants and Blaise Cabell was volunteer coach at Campbell.

9 hours ago, wrestleFan12 said:

Dean was at Campbell training briefly but ended up at Oklahoma with Guerrero.Mike Evans and Scott Sentes were assistants and Blaise Cabell was volunteer coach at Campbell.

13 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

Glad for him and Navy.  Tough to recruit everyone with the standards they have and getting someone to commit for 6-8 years will be a challenge.  But I like the prospect of him being available to our armed forces, I think he is going to do some interesting things. 

How about  Logan Stieber as his replacement?   

Steiber would be a solid pick.

Or Jaggers?  TOSU would be worse off but he is a 2 time champ, pretty charismatic and tuned into pop culture and social media.  Someday some school is going to end up with him as HC and be very happy with the result.

41 minutes ago, Sstern said:

Steiber would be a solid pick.

Or Jaggers?  TOSU would be worse off but he is a 2 time champ, pretty charismatic and tuned into pop culture and social media.  Someday some school is going to end up with him as HC and be very happy with the result.

Would either Steiber or Jaggers likely do better financially with the Campbell job than they are doing now?  I would think they do well in their current situations, with camps supplementing their respective primary income sources.  I guess they both need to start somewhere for their first HC job but for Jaggers I imagined it would be a higher profile school given his experience and relatively high profile at tOSU.