CoachWrestling

Car Kolat leaves Campbell for Navy

Jaggers is being groomed take over for Ryan so unless something amazing comes up I doubt he leaves. Tervel is the more likely tOSU candidate to move on and continue growing his career if collegiate head coaching is the route he wants to go

11 hours ago, NJDan said:

Aha!

Freshman wrestler Cary Kolat has been suspended indefinitely by Coach John Fritz following an alcohol-related incident on campus early Sunday morning.

An officer found Kolat lying unconscious outside of Willard Building at 4:05 a.m. when temperatures had dipped to 6 degrees, University Police Services said.

The officer then cited Kolat for public drunkenness, University police said. A public drunkenness charge is a summary offense, much like a traffic ticket. Punishment is limited to a $300 fine or 90 days in jail, or both. https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_b8e5bffe-ba40-57d6-b2b3-834fffb035a7.html

he left a couple years later didn't he?

my meaning: this wasn't why he left 

Edited by GockeS

11 hours ago, NJDan said:

OK, that seems a reasonable statement by the coach. Why did he want to redshirt?

after his soph year he was burned out.. i think was promised one.. but didn't take it right away

he said something like needed to shift gears and learn etc on the movie

Campbell has beautiful facilities and campus but it’s in the middle of nowhere , has BYU esique rules for students and even with Kolat only managed 1 AA (8th), They need to hire a big name coach to keep the program where it’s at, I’d imagine that most of the kids on the roster went there to wrestle for Kolat not Campbell, and there are only a handful of guys in the country where kids would follow them anywhere to wrestle.

9 hours ago, drag it said:

It's not a lot of stuff.

He got cited for public drunkenness as a college freshman in the 1990s. Not DUI, no assault; he was passed out drunk.  His first year on campus.  Once.  

He (successfully) transferred colleges, like many wrestlers have.  Part of that was because he is headstrong, which goes along with resiliency, a characteristic that has allowed him to survive a near fatal accident as a small child; the kind of out of control sports parenting from his father that usually turns people away from their sport and toward an aimless life; and a Sisyphusian series of the most egregious international cheating incidents in the history of the sport.  Probably that same persistence brought him back to school to finish his degree as an adult.  I would view these as right in line with the characteristics the service academies would want in their teachers.

He was the greatest high school wrestler of all time, a 2× NCAA champ, and a multiple time world team member/2× world medalist/three time screw job victim.

He is a highly respected technician.  And he has demonstrated a remarkable ability to build a D1 program as head coach.

Plus he's awesome when he's mic'd up in the corner:

Cary Kolat Mic'd Up
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6304399-cary-kolat-micd-up

i think dan was looking for a gotcha moment 

16 hours ago, IronChef said:

I imagine this is a decent pay raise, and doesn't he have some family or other connection to Maryland.

14 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I've heard Kyle Snyder say in interviews that he used to train at Kolat's club in Maryland when he was a kid. So he definitely has at least some connection to the area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In addition to Kolat running his club out of the Baltimore area for several years, his wife is also from the area near Annapolis (Anne Arundel County)....her brother(s) used to wrestle for Old Mill HS in Millersville...I believe she and Cary met at LHU.  "Happy wife happy life"

5 hours ago, gromit said:

In addition to Kolat running his club out of the Baltimore area for several years, his wife is also from the area near Annapolis (Anne Arundel County)....her brother(s) used to wrestle for Old Mill HS in Millersville...I believe she and Cary met at LHU.  "Happy wife happy life"

We used to wrestle Old Mill every year, when they were a top Maryland program.  No idea if they're still any good.

Used to go to the Navy wrestling camp every summer as well, back when Reg Wick was coaching.  Really nice facilities compared to the smaller PA schools (where I also went to camp), and the student athletes are all high character.  Their honor code has caused problems for football and lacrosse players in the past, but I'm not familiar with any wrestlers having to leave.

Unfortunately, none of Kolat's Campbell wrestlers or recruits will likely be able to follow him, and with Prince gone, Quentin Hovis is probably the most talented kid on the roster.

I coached in MD for 6 years and we wrestled Old Mill every year, they were still a relevant program and pretty decent but not world beaters.  We were 2-3 against them and our team started rough but had a lot of success the last 3 years, not the depth of some areas, but that part of MD, pretty good.

6 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

I coached in MD for 6 years and we wrestled Old Mill every year, they were still a relevant program and pretty decent but not world beaters.  We were 2-3 against them and our team started rough but had a lot of success the last 3 years, not the depth of some areas, but that part of MD, pretty good.

Where did you coach?

I went to McDonogh through 7th grade (but wrestled Junior League for Parkville), then transferred to Gilman.  In the 90s, McDonogh sports were awful, and Gilman was top 5-10 in lacrosse, football and wrestling.

Unbelievably, McDonogh's probably just behind Mt. St. Joe in the state wrestling hierarchy, and has at least one NCAA champ among its alumni (Miles Martin), while Gilman seems to be well off anyone's radar.

Not convinced this is a step up for Kolat. Anyone have any insight on the commitment to wrestling allowed by the academy? I am sure he will appreciate the discipline of his wrestlers but they have bigger things to learn and deal with in their lives. 

Just now, Greatdane67 said:

Not convinced this is a step up for Kolat. Anyone have any insight on the commitment to wrestling allowed by the academy? I am sure he will appreciate the discipline of his wrestlers but they have bigger things to learn and deal with in their lives. 

Yes, different challenges, but it seems he is a great coach no matter what, will adjust, and has a track record of taking a challenging situation and thriving.  He also has a name even young kids coming up will know and he will recruit with success because of that.

9 hours ago, PAFAN01 said:

Go Army beat Navy!  I root for Navy in all other matches.  :)

I respect this awesome rivalry in every sport...and say to you Go Navy! beat Army! And the same I root for Army except vs. Navy. Oh I guess those guys in Colorado also

On 3/19/2020 at 1:42 PM, taylor said:

I have heard 3/26/2020 at noon 

4 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

I wrestled at Old Mill - class of '79 - right at the beginning.  Coach Mike Hampe built a pretty strong program from scratch there,  and quite a few Old Mill alums went on to coach in Maryland.  

The greatest testament to the job Cary Kolat did at Campbell is it actually has some wrestling fans wondering if it is a better job than Navy.

Ask any non-wrestling fan outside of the southeast region if they'd ever heard of Campbell University.  After they say no, ask them if they'd be proud to say their son went to the United States Naval Academy.

Good hire, and a no-brainer all-around.

14 hours ago, whaletail said:

We used to wrestle Old Mill every year, when they were a top Maryland program.  No idea if they're still any good.

Used to go to the Navy wrestling camp every summer as well, back when Reg Wick was coaching.  Really nice facilities compared to the smaller PA schools (where I also went to camp), and the student athletes are all high character.  Their honor code has caused problems for football and lacrosse players in the past, but I'm not familiar with any wrestlers having to leave.

Unfortunately, none of Kolat's Campbell wrestlers or recruits will likely be able to follow him, and with Prince gone, Quentin Hovis is probably the most talented kid on the roster.

Yeah cause their two returning EIWA champs aren't talented? Smh

7 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

The greatest testament to the job Cary Kolat did at Campbell is it actually has some wrestling fans wondering if it is a better job than Navy.

Ask any non-wrestling fan outside of the southeast region if they'd ever heard of Campbell University.  After they say no, ask them if they'd be proud to say their son went to the United States Naval Academy.

Good hire, and a no-brainer all-around.

Agreed, it’s not Kolat’s problem but the main concern for wrestling as a whole is can Campbell stay relevant without him.

Depending on where they live, guys like Tony Ramos or Adam Hall might be able to take the job and not have to move.

14 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

Shuteandscore - where did you coach?

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Agreed, it’s not Kolat’s problem but the main concern for wrestling as a whole is can Campbell stay relevant without him.

Depending on where they live, guys like Tony Ramos or Adam Hall might be able to take the job and not have to move.

They both live within 30 miles of Campbell.Be great if Hall got Oregon St and Ramos got Campbell

Edited by calot

42 minutes ago, calot said:

They both live within 30 miles of Campbell.Be great if Hall got Oregon St and Ramos got Campbell

Good to know.   Sorry just saw you posted that earlier.   

Kolat already off Campbell website.   Evans, Sentes and Cabell still listed as assistants though (for now at least).