CoachWrestling

Car Kolat leaves Campbell for Navy

18 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

Not convinced this is a step up for Kolat. Anyone have any insight on the commitment to wrestling allowed by the academy? I am sure he will appreciate the discipline of his wrestlers but they have bigger things to learn and deal with in their lives. 

Pretty much on par with what you would assume an ivy school would have on a student.  The military duties are sometimes a “distraction” because they require a different thought process than academics or athletics.  But your social life is limited, so it actually helps.  Most colleges have a no drinking policy during the season, and while you can drink if you are soph-senior and are of age, athletes don’t have the time to plan how they are going to party.  

5 hours ago, LHU125 said:

Yeah cause their two returning EIWA champs aren't talented? Smh

I guess people are stuck on high school rankings.  I would be surprised if Hovis starts next year depending on what recruits are going to prep or not.  Hey have a few recruits who can fill the spot at 157.  And the current roster has some pretty good ones who are non par with hovis.

149 is the better weight for Hovis.   

21 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

Yes I Know McD, the other McD which is spelled McDonough, is in my conference.  I coached at Lackey HS for 6 years, started a junior league there

BTW since you know something about MD wrestling could you explain the Boys Latin singlet? Their coaches wear matching flannel lumberjack shirts

Edited by jackwebster

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

BTW since you know something about MD wrestling could you explain the Boys Latin singlet? Their coaches wear matching flannel lumberjack shirts

Honestly, I don’t know much about Boys Latin, it sounds familiar like they may have been at a tournament one time, but really not familiar. I only coached in MD for that 6 years, I graduated HS in Ohio and wrestled in NC in college, so I didn’t grow up there.

Edited by Schuteandscore

I've seen a Campbell Wrestling shirt here in Tulsa.  Guy was a stud wearing it.  I hope he has fantastic success at Navy.  That would be cool if they become a National Power.  I would not under-estimate Mr Kolat.  Man-o-man what a job he has done at Campbell?  He seems to have hit his stride as a head coach.   Beat the Clones this year.   It would have been one of the stories to follow if we had the NCAA's.   I may be wrong, but today's style sure looks like there is more knee twisting.  Sheesh, do you guys remember Kolat's rubber knee?  I cringe just thinking of that.  True Hall of Famer, and it's neat to see his story continue!

Edited by Peso

7 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

Pretty much on par with what you would assume an ivy school would have on a student.  The military duties are sometimes a “distraction” because they require a different thought process than academics or athletics.  But your social life is limited, so it actually helps.  Most colleges have a no drinking policy during the season, and while you can drink if you are soph-senior and are of age, athletes don’t have the time to plan how they are going to party.  

I think meals are also mandatory at the academies. That might limit wrestlers’ ability to cut weight but it also makes the lineup more predictable and easier for coaches to plan and manage.

4 hours ago, pamela said:

I think meals are also mandatory at the academies. That might limit wrestlers’ ability to cut weight but it also makes the lineup more predictable and easier for coaches to plan and manage.

Not at all.  You have to be present for lunch and one dinner per week.  

Interesting move. Ultimately, it’s Kolat’s life - he can do as he pleases. Someone in this thread mentioned something to the effect that Kolat doesn’t seem to be a guy who makes hap-hazard decisions. My guess is he’s thought this through quite a bit. And yes, I’m positive his ol’ buddy Bruce has a role in this.

Many have mentioned Campbell’s rise and potential demise. Fair points. Although only one AA in Kolat’s time, remember that Kraisser was part of an initial class for the Camels and that class only fielded 5 wrestlers. Kolat dug the Camels out of a hole that I’m not sure many could. Again, we are actually discussing the validity of Campbell Wrestling! Thank you, Cary Kolat!

Concerning possible coaches: does Glen Lanham (HC @ Duke) put his name in the hat? Campbell has shown a commitment to the wrestling program, any scholarship allotment is better than what Duke has, and it wouldn’t be a long-distance move for Lanham. Just a thought.

One last point I will mention is the fact that Army seemed to have a pretty good year. If Coach Ward keeps the momentum, and Kolat can get things moving forward in the next few years, would it be possible that we see two service academies in the top 20?? Not sure if I’ve seen that in my lifetime.

ps: I do like the service academy banter on this board. It truly does my heart glad. 

Edited by RealAmericanHero

The job Cary did at Campbell was exceptional.  During his first year at Campbell they were on NCAA probation and couldn't even compete.  He literally did take the program from nothing to becoming a good program.  If you just compare where Campbell is today to where West Virginia is and West Virginal dominated Campbell in years II and III of Cary taking over ....  Just one example of many to point to a job well-done.  

4 hours ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Interesting move. Ultimately, it’s Kolat’s life - he can do as he pleases. Someone in this thread mentioned something to the effect that Kolat doesn’t seem to be a guy who makes hap-hazard decisions. My guess is he’s thought this through quite a bit. And yes, I’m positive his ol’ buddy Bruce has a role in this.

Many have mentioned Campbell’s rise and potential demise. Fair points. Although only one AA in Kolat’s time, remember that Kraisser was part of an initial class for the Camels and that class only fielded 5 wrestlers. Kolat dug the Camels out of a hole that I’m not sure many could. Again, we are actually discussing the validity of Campbell Wrestling! Thank you, Cary Kolat!

Concerning possible coaches: does Glen Lanham (HC @ Duke) put his name in the hat? Campbell has shown a commitment to the wrestling program, any scholarship allotment is better than what Duke has, and it wouldn’t be a long-distance move for Lanham. Just a thought.

One last point I will mention is the fact that Army seemed to have a pretty good year. If Coach Ward keeps the momentum, and Kolat can get things moving forward in the next few years, would it be possible that we see two service academies in the top 20?? Not sure if I’ve seen that in my lifetime.

ps: I do like the service academy banter on this board. It truly does my heart glad. 

I love the thought of Campbell stealing from Duke.  A little shameful for Campbell to be a step up from Duke, a big rich college with a huge Athletic department.

On 3/20/2020 at 11:40 PM, NJDan said:

Anyway, I would think that that stuff might turn Navy away. But it was all years ago and I am glad CK is getting his shot. I hope he does well. I think he will.

Something he did freshman year of college? Come on. 

On 3/22/2020 at 9:30 PM, pamela said:

It’s an advantage I think. Usually if guys are skipping meals anytime that isn’t right before a weigh in, it is detrimental 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Something he did freshman year of college? Come on. 

No, I was speculating that there were other issues that I do not know about, which might explain why Kolat did not get a head coaching job years before he did. If there are no such issues, all the better. Go Navy!