goheels1812

The Next Coach Up

Kolat leaving for Navy has me thinking, who would you want to be your favorite schools next coach if the current coach retired or left? 

To make it more fun (aka so everyone doesn’t just say Cael) you can only pick a head coach of a program that finished lower in the final dual team standings than the team you root for. For instance, North Carolina finished 7th in Flos final dual team rankings which means I couldn’t pick the head coach of any team that finished 1st-6th. All assistant coaches are fair game. Also try to keep choices somewhat realistic. 

If Coleman Scott left UNC my top candidates would be:

-Tony Ramos: already with the program and has relationships with all the guys on the team. He would be a good pick to keep guys from transferring, salvage recruiting, and to try to keep the momentum at UNC. 

-Andrew Howe: Northwestern has a special thing going right now with their coaching staff. I think Howe is getting prepped to be a successful head coach. 

-TJ Jaworsky: my what the hell, why not? TJ is the most successful wrestler in UNC history. He knows what it takes to get it done at the highest level and he has a very recognizable name. 

-Kenny Monday: already coaches the UNC club team. Olympic gold medalist. Not sure if he’s interested in being a collegiate coach though. 

-John Mark Bentley: he’s my dark horse pick. He’s built and maintained an extremely successful program at App State. His best asset is finding raw recruiting gems that he develops to find success nationally. I’d be intrigued to see what he could do at a program like UNC. 

Choices in order:

1) Ramos

2) Howe

3) Bentley

4) Monday

5) Jaworsky 

4 minutes ago, GockeS said:

is TJ still involved in wrestling?

not saying bad choice..just wondering...

Yup! He sporadically does camps and intensive wrestling clinics and helps at the high school level. He doesn’t do anything with the college that I know of. He has a family and from what I understand via secondhand info he’s focused on spending time with them. That’s why he’s just my “what the hell candidate” haha. But he was really a stud back in the early 90s. Still in great shape too. 

Edited by goheels1812

I agree that Tony Ramos would be a solid successor. It’s very impressive how quickly and well he’s taken to the coaching and administrative side of wrestling - seems like a real natural. I still think he retired too young and hope he does a Cael type bet with his guys where he’ll enter the US Open and make a legit run for the World team if UNC gets x many AAs or goes undefeated in ACC duals or some other interesting incentive.

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Yup! He sporadically does camps and intensive wrestling clinics and helps at the high school level. He doesn’t do anything with the college that I know of. He has a family and from what I understand via secondhand info he’s focused on spending time with them. That’s why he’s just my “what the hell candidate” haha. But he was really a stud back in the early 90s. Still in great shape too. 

When I was in college and he was coaching at Davidson, we were wrestlimg in the Sharpie open and I don’t know this for a fact, just what I heard, but word at the tournament was the reason all the Davidson guys (which had dropped from a full roster to 5) had no one in the corner and were coaching teammates because apparently he was out all night before and when the kids woke up...banged on his door for 15-20 mins before a parent drove them all to weigh ins and wrestled.  Never saw him at the tournament.  Again, I don’t know what’s exactly true and what’s not, but it was 2 kids on the team that were saying it.  Who knows

36 minutes ago, pamela said:

I agree that Tony Ramos would be a solid successor. It’s very impressive how quickly and well he’s taken to the coaching and administrative side of wrestling - seems like a real natural. I still think he retired too young and hope he does a Cael type bet with his guys where he’ll enter the US Open and make a legit run for the World team if UNC gets x many AAs or goes undefeated in ACC duals or some other interesting incentive.

Ramos has Illinois connections, toughness and a real love for the sport and people.  Met him once at UNC and he showed my son his cow catcher.  Monday was there too, but Tony really loves people and I think he will be a great head coach and recruiter when his time comes.  

What about Troy Nickerson?  He has the credentials and he is getting mileage at UNC.  I’ve heard some concerns that he will head to a bigger program once he gets a little more success at UNC.  Any thoughts on where he could go?

3 minutes ago, Tofurky said:

Mike Zadick?

How long does Donny Pritzlaff stay an assistant coach?

Jon Reader?

Scott Moore?

Mike Zadick is one of those guys that would make a great head coach but is an absolutely terrible assistant. That’s just a general statement. 

Edited by Force118

2 minutes ago, Force118 said:

Mike Zadick is one of those guys that would make a great head coach but is an absolutely terrible assistant. That’s just a general statement. 

Go on...

5 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Kolat leaving for Navy has me thinking, who would you want to be your favorite schools next coach if the current coach retired or left? 

To make it more fun (aka so everyone doesn’t just say Cael) you can only pick a head coach of a program that finished lower in the final dual team standings than the team you root for. For instance, North Carolina finished 7th in Flos final dual team rankings which means I couldn’t pick the head coach of any team that finished 1st-6th. All assistant coaches are fair game. Also try to keep choices somewhat realistic. 

If Coleman Scott left UNC my top candidates would be:

-Tony Ramos: already with the program and has relationships with all the guys on the team. He would be a good pick to keep guys from transferring, salvage recruiting, and to try to keep the momentum at UNC. 

-Andrew Howe: Northwestern has a special thing going right now with their coaching staff. I think Howe is getting prepped to be a successful head coach. 

-TJ Jaworsky: my what the hell, why not? TJ is the most successful wrestler in UNC history. He knows what it takes to get it done at the highest level and he has a very recognizable name. 

-Kenny Monday: already coaches the UNC club team. Olympic gold medalist. Not sure if he’s interested in being a collegiate coach though. 

-John Mark Bentley: he’s my dark horse pick. He’s built and maintained an extremely successful program at App State. His best asset is finding raw recruiting gems that he develops to find success nationally. I’d be intrigued to see what he could do at a program like UNC. 

Choices in order:

1) Ramos

2) Howe

3) Bentley

4) Monday

5) Jaworsky 

I heard Hall from nc state was interviewing at Oregon state but Now with an opening in North Carolina maybe he gets an interview at Campbell 

3 hours ago, pamela said:

Where’s Drew Pariano these days? Will he be a hc again? 

I wonder the same thing any time a small school job opens up.   He was at Bighamton for a short stint, but after I haven’t heard a out him on the coaching radar.  He maybe over the taste of dealing with admin or the black mark left from the NW fallout is still following him. 

11 hours ago, Tofurky said:

Mike Zadick?

How long does Donny Pritzlaff stay an assistant coach?

Jon Reader?

Scott Moore?

I’m starting to wonder about Pritzlaff.  Seems like a good guy.  Great credentials but can’t seem to get a HC gig.  Bad interviewee?  Bad timing?  Promise from Rutgers? 

On 3/21/2020 at 8:28 AM, Sstern said:

I’m starting to wonder about Pritzlaff.  Seems like a good guy.  Great credentials but can’t seem to get a HC gig.  Bad interviewee?  Bad timing?  Promise from Rutgers? 

Wasn't Donny promised the reigns at Wisconsin, and then the Barrys pulled a fast one at the last minute?

That said, I would think that Goodale has quite a few years left, as he is only 47- or 48-years-old.

I think Donny may have missed a really great opportunity at Maryland. I'm not sure if he went for the gig, but being a B10 school less than an hour from Pennsylvania and New Jersey, just north of Virginia, and with recruiting ties to the Midwest, that might have been his best shot.

To the rest, I have no idea.

Ken Cheertow throw his hat in the ring every once in a while!  

he is always available.  

Of he didn’t have his own business,  I would want Rick Dellagatta to coach Army if Ward ever left.

As much as it pains me to say it, but Frayer would be a solid HC at any program. He’s enthusiastic, connects with the guys and can still roll with the big dogs at 40 years old. Look at his run the senior event. Dude was decking tough and younger guys. Hope he stays though. Great and deserving coach and an even better man

I'm a buckeye fan.  It is tough to go against Jaggers because he has experience on athletic and administrative side.  But if the Buckeyes had a chance to hire Taylor if he retired would they have to take that?  Or Stieber?  I know I'm sticking with guys who wrestled in Ohio.  

Jaggers, taylor, or Stieber.  When Cox retires I think he will be great coach too.  He isn't from Ohio but I have a ton of respect for him. 

16 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Hmmmmm. I don't know what the final dual standings were. But if OSU canned John Smith I'd be happy if they grabbed Mark Branch, Popilizio, or Quentin Tarantino.

Solid choices.

23 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Hmmmmm. I don't know what the final dual standings were. But if OSU canned John Smith I'd be happy if they grabbed Mark Branch, Popilizio, or Quentin Tarantino.

Well if it came down to a 3 way duel between those for the job, you'd think the double cowboy Mark Branch would be the one left standing ... but no one seems to out do Q Tarantino in a shootout so ...

https://giphy.com/gifs/clint-eastwood-eli-wallach-the-good-bad-and-ugly-b3mSVYbDLvow8