Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
allout101

2021 Olympics and Olympic RS next season?

Recommended Posts

Discussions have heated up this past week about pushing the 2020 Summer Olympics into next year.

With the debate of who exactly the NCAA is going to grant eligibility to related to winter sports, NCAA has another dilemma of Olympic redshirts IF the Games get pushed back a year. 

Could NCAA grant Olympic RS again to those who took it in 2020?

Who would take an Olympic RS in 2021 that didn't in 2020?

And a 2024 scenario of guy's taking a second Olympic redshirt after taking one in 2021. Imagine a 2020 freshman redshirt, 2021 Olympic RS, 2022 & 2023 varsity, 2024 Olympic RS, and still have 2 years of varsity eligibility left in 2025 and 2026. If you really want to get crazy, throw in a medical grant year as well to push it to 2027. 

Yikes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, I only have 6 posts on here since the message boards switched over from the original themat.com forums? I look like a newb now. 

Russell Brunson, Utah native and former Boise State middleweight, released a new book this week and in the beginning Russell talks about resisting the urge of going online to the old themat.com forums during study hall in college. Only to discover during a "bathroom break" all his teammates were already on the forums talking about wrestling and not him. 

Now I have 7 posts :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ORS doesn’t affect athletes’ eligibility clock and the NCAA doesn’t place any limits on how many ORS one can take. It’ll just be up to USAW to determine the criteria, and right now that will depend on a bunch of things that are up in the air, like whether OTTs happen, UWW’s plans for Worlds this & next year, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 1:45 AM, allout101 said:

And a 2024 scenario of guy's taking a second Olympic redshirt after taking one in 2021. Imagine a 2020 freshman redshirt, 2021 Olympic RS, 2022 & 2023 varsity, 2024 Olympic RS, and still have 2 years of varsity eligibility left in 2025 and 2026. If you really want to get crazy, throw in a medical grant year as well to push it to 2027. 

Carl just went from six to midnight if you know what I mean, and you know what I mean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 8:37 AM, pamela said:

ORS doesn’t affect athletes’ eligibility clock and the NCAA doesn’t place any limits on how many ORS one can take. It’ll just be up to USAW to determine the criteria, and right now that will depend on a bunch of things that are up in the air, like whether OTTs happen, UWW’s plans for Worlds this & next year, etc.

What does ott mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone already took one year to prepare for the Olympics, you don't need another consecutive year.  Kyle Snyder won a world and Olympic title without taking a redshirt.  

 

if you took an OLY RS this past year, you don't get one next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

If someone already took one year to prepare for the Olympics, you don't need another consecutive year.  Kyle Snyder won a world and Olympic title without taking a redshirt.  

 

if you took an OLY RS this past year, you don't get one next year.  

Eh, not every college wrestler has the same resources available to them that Kyle Snyder had at tOSU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...