Sign in to follow this  
pamela

Thread for wrestling technique questions

Since we have some time to kill in this extended offseason, I’m trying to get better at understanding technique and positions in folkstyle. I know there are a lot of YouTube vids out there and idk if these dumb questions will be interesting to anyone else, but I thought I’d ask here since many of you coach or can relate techniques to what we may have seen during the season.

First question, which is more advantageous, having double unders or double overs? I guess it probably depends on the wrestler but I always hear commentators talk about guys fighting off double underhooks. But with double overs it seems like you’d be in pretty good position to sprawl & spin around back for 2, switch to a whizzer or quarter nelson or even toss your opponent, as long as you don’t get inside tripped or Martinelli-clamped. Are a lot of wrestlers trained to work from underhooks? 

Second question, what is a crackdown in wrestling? Is that a way of scrambling or a position or a move? I hear it used in different ways and am not really sure what it means. <-- NM, I am an idiot

Thank you in advance 

Edited by pamela

My opinion is double unders. They always you to attack either side where as double overs make it difficult to do much other than throw or inside trip or far side ankle pick. Unders allow you to drop your hands quickly for an ankle pick, throw by, high crotch, head throw, snap down, etc.

ive always referee to a crackdown and a finish to either a hi c or sweep. Scooting you’re lower body and circling an opponent  down to his or her hip.

2 hours ago, pamela said:

Since we have some time to kill in this extended offseason, I’m trying to get better at understanding technique and positions in folkstyle. I know there are a lot of YouTube vids out there and idk if these dumb questions will be interesting to anyone else, but I thought I’d ask here since many of you coach or can relate techniques to what we may have seen during the season.

First question, which is more advantageous, having double unders or double overs? I guess it probably depends on the wrestler but I always hear commentators talk about guys fighting off double underhooks. But with double overs it seems like you’d be in pretty good position to sprawl & spin around back for 2, switch to a whizzer or quarter nelson or even toss your opponent, as long as you don’t get inside tripped or Martinelli-clamped. Are a lot of wrestlers trained to work from underhooks? 

Second question, what is a crackdown in wrestling? Is that a way of scrambling or a position or a move? I hear it used in different ways and am not really sure what it means.

Thank you in advance 

I would say it depends on who has more leverage. 

Crack down to me is when you cant get the corner on a hi c, so you change direction, pull the opponent down to their butt and finsih across.

Most guys are much better with underhooks, Randy Lewis liked an over hook, Belaglozov used an overhook (they both used bodylocks too).  With underhooks, especially 2, you have to watch out for headlocks.  The crackdown comes into play when you can't get "head up, hips in back straight", so you "crack him down" to his hip, change off to a double, or go to a number of other finishes depending on what will work in that situation.....darn, you are going to make me go back and look at my "crackdown" video....someone did this video for me....it's "one of a kind".  Actually, I have 2 videos with crackdowns...the other was Jim Humphrey.

Whoops, I totally missed the notifications on this - thanks everyone! I am dumb and just realized from the video and your explanations that crackdown refers to having the opponent's buttcrack down on the mat (right?). I think I've got it now, lol.

I'll have to look up videos of Randy Lewis and Sergei Belaglazov with their overhook offense. I think Cenzo is very comfortable in that position too and maybe Jason Nolf when he wrestled IMart? Will have to rewatch those matches.

Im no expert but love both positions.  All depends on leverage, as mentioned, hips position, and control.  Both guys could be in control but the person who really is controlling the tie is in the better position, and that can be done many ways.

I thought Chris Taylor had double unders in the famous back arch suplex photo but I just looked it up, and he had the overs. Which of course matches the story about Dietrich giving him a hug at weigh-ins to size up Taylor's girth.

Coincidentally, looking for more Underhook stuff from Belaglozov, I found and example of a crackdown @  around 1:10...he doesn't stay there long.....finishes it pretty quickly.  The guys  have a combined 9 world and Olympic Championships and a few other world medals as well.   

5 minutes ago, pamela said:

I thought Chris Taylor had double unders in the famous back arch suplex photo but I just looked it up, and he had the overs. Which of course matches the story about Dietrich giving him a hug at weigh-ins to size up Taylor's girth.

See for yourself......double overs

On 3/23/2020 at 12:38 PM, pamela said:

Dietrich gave Chris a hug at an athlete dinner the night before to size him up.