Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Arizona State recruiting?

Arizona State had 5 Seniors on their wrestling team for the 2019-2020 season yet as far as I can tell they have ZERO new recruits coming to their program for the 2020-2021 season.   Is that or is that not accurate?

I would think that at the very least they would be exploring the Transfer Portal to bring in transfers from other D-1 Schools - especially for 133 lbs, 141 lbs, 149 lbs  and 165 lbs.  Particularly those last two weight classes of 149 and 165 lbs.

Has there been ANY word on who they are bringing into their wrestling program for 2021?

P.S. I'm just assuming that wrestling will not be granted any more eligibility by the NCAA due to this virus B.S. as they had only one week left in their entire season.

Edited by Bronco
addition

Last week the NCAA declared a dead period for all recruiting for all sports -I believe until April 15th, so if they were already signed they can make announcement. This is typically when you see JC guys transferring so it will be late this year. ASU could have been targeting some JC champs. Should be hearing news on graduate transfers or guys transferring soon. With Kolat to Navy, new coach at Oregon State and a few other dominoes left to fall, there will be movement. You are right, ASU needs to do something there. I think they will be okay at 122-141 if guys bulk up and move up. It's 149 and 165 as you mentioned. 

If the NCAA gives winter sports eligibility it will be because of basketball not wrestling. If they do it is going to create a problem (which it already will with spring sports) on scholarships and max scholarship allotment. In wrestling it's 9.9...but if you already have your scholarships accounted for next year with incoming recruits and all the sudden you have two seniors that get to come back....what do you do? I am guessing the NCAA will have to have a year they increase scholarships as well. Just speculation. 

I can't recall any J.C. wrestler who has ever competed for Arizona State.  So I looked at all of the wrestling team rosters on the ASU website - going back to 2011-2012.  And I saw only one J.C. guy. He was listed on the 2011-2012 ASU roster.  That being P.J. Starnes of Harper College in Illinois.  He was listed as a Junior on the 2011-2012 ASU roster but he was not listed on their 2012-2013 roster. So he apparently didn't last at ASU.

I would think they would be looking at guys on the transfer portal rather than J.C. guys but you could be right.

I know Oregon State goes the J.C. route regularly but I just couldn't recall any J.C. guys who did well at Arizona State in the past.  Maybe they have had them - I just don't recall any J.C. guys for ASU who did well at the D-1 level.

P.S. The J.C. national champs at 149 and 165 lbs were both Freshmen. Namely Jake Beeson of Pratt College at 149 lbs and Isaiah Crosby of Iowa Western.  So it would seem unlikely they would be leaving their J.C. after one year.

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/wrest/2019-20/national_championship/index

Edited by Bronco
add

3 hours ago, Bronco said:

I can't recall any J.C. wrestler who has ever competed for Arizona State.  So I looked at all of the wrestling team rosters on the ASU website - going back to 2011-2012.  And I saw only one J.C. guy. He was listed on the 2011-2012 ASU roster.  That being P.J. Starnes of Harper College in Illinois.  He was listed as a Junior on the 2011-2012 ASU roster but he was not listed on their 2012-2013 roster. So he apparently didn't last at ASU.

I would think they would be looking at guys on the transfer portal rather than J.C. guys but you could be right.

I know Oregon State goes the J.C. route regularly but I just couldn't recall any J.C. guys who did well at Arizona State in the past.  Maybe they have had them - I just don't recall any J.C. guys for ASU who did well at the D-1 level.

P.S. The J.C. national champs at 149 and 165 lbs were both Freshmen. Namely Jake Beeson of Pratt College at 149 lbs and Isaiah Crosby of Iowa Western.  So it would seem unlikely they would be leaving their J.C. after one year.

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/wrest/2019-20/national_championship/index

Not exactly accurate:

Josh D'Silviera - NJCAA champ at 197 for Ellsworth CC by way of Miami, FL in 2013.

I feel as though there is one more guy there from the Zeke era from the NJCAA.

Before that:

Ricardo Serment via Triton College (River Grove, IL) in about 2004

Cain Velasquez via Iowa Central CC in 2002

Dana Holland via Iowa Central CC in 2000

NJCAA guys can move on after one year, provided they passed the NCAA clearing house coming out of high school. If not, I know the rule used to read that they were to stay through earning their associate's degrees.

Zeke should be calling Josh at Clackamas CC about his guys and Joe at North East Oklahoma about his guys. You just never know who will hit.

Dillon Ulrey their part time starter was a  2x AA in JC 

There have been a lot of guys who have left JC after one year - Colt Doyle only competed 1 year at clackamas, Boo Dryden Minnesota's 133 was a JC guy. If they are good enough to compete at D1 they will get a shot. It's not the best route to go but it does work sometimes to fill a gap year.

They will be fine from 125-141 - Raimo, Courtney, Chlebove, Belton, Kline - between those guys they will have it covered

11 hours ago, Bronco said:

Arizona State had 5 Seniors on their wrestling team for the 2019-2020 season yet as far as I can tell they have ZERO new recruits coming to their program for the 2020-2021 season.   Is that or is that not accurate?

I would think that at the very least they would be exploring the Transfer Portal to bring in transfers from other D-1 Schools - especially for 133 lbs, 141 lbs, 149 lbs  and 165 lbs.  Particularly those last two weight classes of 149 and 165 lbs.

Has there been ANY word on who they are bringing into their wrestling program for 2021?

P.S. I'm just assuming that wrestling will not be granted any more eligibility by the NCAA due to this virus B.S. as they had only one week left in their entire season.

ASU had a very good and large recruiting class last year. 
Raimo for 133.  Chlebove for 141.  Munoz for 165.  Coleman for 184.  Schultz at hwt. 
Busielo leaving left a hole at 149.  Could really use a transfer there  or Jesse Vasquez from Cali hasn’t committed yet.  He is a 3x state champ