DazedandConfused

Extra year solution

The issue of another year of eligibility for NCAA winter athletes has been discussed. Here is a solution. Allow all NCAA athletes (freshmen to seniors) who competed this winter season an extra year as a grad transfer student should they choose to accept. However, there is a catch. It must be at another school outside of your current conference or division. This prohibits any athlete from competing for their school (and conference) for 5 seasons. This gives every winter sport athlete a chance to compete for an NCAA title for four years. Graduate transfers are happening all over the NCAA across all divisions so this wouldn't be a unique thing, just more of them would happen. What is a unique and unfortunate situation is all the winter NCAA tournaments being candled due to a health pandemic. This isn't a perfect solution, as there may be issues with scholarships. However, there are other ways students can get aid with regard to academic scholarships, grants, and loans. Just a thought. 

Well you do need to (or are supposed to) actually qualify and be accepted into grad school. What about the real grad students who had classes, research project, etc cancelled who are displaced or resources diminished by 'athlete grad students.'  Is that fair to them given the extraordinary circumstances? 

Perhaps you are a bit confusedordazed. ?  ;_;

Edited by ionel

Some valid points. It'll be interesting to see what happens to some of the spring sport seniors who decide to take advantage of their extra year. I'm sure most of them will graduate and go into the work force. Others will go on to graduate school and participate in their respective sport while others will perhaps delay graduation and return to their current school. A select few will turn pro in baseball, while even a smaller amount may leave school (mostly track and field, softball) to focus on the 2020 Olympics, if they are even contested. This could easily have happened to winter athletes had the powers that be shut schools and businesses and canceled events two months earlier. Unfortunately, Force118 may be correct in that there may not be a next season for any college sport. 

Really the only reason I oppose this is that the rich would get richer.

Who believes Gross would go to UT-Chattanooga? Not me.

Pletcher to Campbell? Nope.

Mark Hall to South Dakota State?

No. More likely to see all three head to Pitt or NCState or something first.

I just want them to get something.  It seems very unfair to guys like Pletcher, Lugo, Kollin Moore, and other seniors to not even get a shot at a dream that was suddenly realistic for them as seniors.  That a guy like Spencer Lee won't get a shot at going for 4 titles.  We'll see.

Back in the early '70s, wasn't there a group of guys who didn't get to compete as freshmen who were allowed an additional year of competition but not permitted to compete in the post-season?  That's the only thing I can think of that's similar to the current situation, but it had far less impact.  They didn't do it for four or five years' worth of athletes and no one had a shot at five post-seasons.  I really feel for these guys, but I don't see a workable solution.  Conference tournaments had been wrestled -- do you just give everyone who qualified for NCAAs a shot at another tournament?  They can't be active for just NCAAs -- do you grant those 330 wrestlers an extra spring semester, including an extra conference tournament?  Then we may see 5-time conference champs.  What do we do for the guys who are displaced from starting lineups by the guys who get the extra semesters?  Do we grant second redshirt years to them so they don't lose out?

I'm all for a solution that makes people whole, but I don't see this working out.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I just want them to get something.  It seems very unfair to guys like Pletcher, Lugo, Kollin Moore, and other seniors to not even get a shot at a dream that was suddenly realistic for them as seniors.  That a guy like Spencer Lee won't get a shot at going for 4 titles.  We'll see.

Life isn't fair.  This is bigger than sport.

5 hours ago, DazedandConfused said:

Some valid points. It'll be interesting to see what happens to some of the spring sport seniors who decide to take advantage of their extra year. I'm sure most of them will graduate and go into the work force. Others will go on to graduate school and participate in their respective sport while others will perhaps delay graduation and return to their current school. A select few will turn pro in baseball, while even a smaller amount may leave school (mostly track and field, softball) to focus on the 2020 Olympics, if they are even contested. This could easily have happened to winter athletes had the powers that be shut schools and businesses and canceled events two months earlier. Unfortunately, Force118 may be correct in that there may not be a next season for any college sport. 

You didn't defend yourself when people said you were Jimmy.  You are Jimmy, aren't you?  At least your screen name everyone knows.

3 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

You didn't defend yourself when people said you were Jimmy.  You are Jimmy, aren't you?  At least your screen name everyone knows.

Or maybe he didn’t respond because there is no validity to it and didn’t get pulled in a ridiculous back and forth, taking away from the original point of the thread.  So no need for you to do the same.

37 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

Or maybe he didn’t respond because there is no validity to it and didn’t get pulled in a ridiculous back and forth, taking away from the original point of the thread.  So no need for you to do the same.

Jimmy has a pattern.  If this person tells me he is not jc I would give benefit of doubt.  But put it together - burner account with jc tendencies.  

Just now, shieldofpistis said:

Jimmy has a pattern.  If this person tells me he is not jc I would give benefit of doubt.  But put it together - burner account with jc tendencies.  

I would have put it together...if I cared to

18 minutes ago, Force118 said:

To be fair, you and Marcus C. also have a pattern.......

No I am pretty radically different than anyone on here.  If you think I am someone else then ask us both at separate times tough theological questions.  I have a doctorate in theology.  I don't think anyone else on board does.  I am stupid in some areas but theology a strength 

Ps. Does Marcus ever start threads about ufc or mma? I don't think so

So...if I ask him a theology question and he says he doesn’t know, that means you aren’t the same?  So basically, and tell me if I’m wrong....But, ask someone that is apparently using another screen name to lie, if they are lying?  Why didn’t I think of that?!! Jk, but really, my original point was this detracts from the original post.  It is entertaining but not really what I’m looking to read.

question, how many days did it take for the universe to be created?  Jk lol, anyways, it’s good to see people putting thought into this in a positive way, even though it seems it may not be something possible at this time.  That I do enjoy reading.

4 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Back in the early '70s, wasn't there a group of guys who didn't get to compete as freshmen who were allowed an additional year of competition but not permitted to compete in the post-season?  That's the only thing I can think of that's similar to the current situation, but it had far less impact.  They didn't do it for four or five years' worth of athletes and no one had a shot at five post-seasons.  I really feel for these guys, but I don't see a workable solution.  Conference tournaments had been wrestled -- do you just give everyone who qualified for NCAAs a shot at another tournament?  They can't be active for just NCAAs -- do you grant those 330 wrestlers an extra spring semester, including an extra conference tournament?  Then we may see 5-time conference champs.  What do we do for the guys who are displaced from starting lineups by the guys who get the extra semesters?  Do we grant second redshirt years to them so they don't lose out?

I'm all for a solution that makes people whole, but I don't see this working out.

I'm not so sure about that situation in the 70's...but the solution that I proposed eliminates anyone in any sport from becoming a 5 time conference champion or 5 time all-conference in the same conference. Also, it would give anyone in all the winter sports across all divisions a chance to become a 4 time all-american as every winter sport canceled their national tournaments and meets. Would a graduate transfer potentially take a roster spot from someone somewhere? Of course. It happens in every sport. However with the transfer portal it also makes it easier for undergraduates to transfer. It's not perfect and the "rich could get richer," as well the mid-major programs could also see a benefit. Unfortunately, I don't anything will happen and a lot of great student-athletes from these current classes will not be able to realize their dream of competing for a team or individual national title for 4 years.  

4 hours ago, spladle said:

Life isn't fair.  This is bigger than sport.

I'm not blaming this on anybody, obviously safety from this disease takes precedence.  I'm not sure how granting the athletes who didn't get to compete for a championship another bite at the apple impedes on anybody else's rights.  Honestly, there isn't really a good argument not to do it other than it is inconvenient for coaches planning on their scholarships.  Those coaches have years and years to get other shots at this.  The wrestlers only get 4 shots at the NCAA tournament.  They should get all four.