DazedandConfused

Extra year solution

Unfortunately the topic has gotten a little off track but that's okay it happens. The solution I proposed is that all athletes (Fr-Srs) in the winter season of this year (2019-20) would be able to get an extra year as long as they are graduate transfers outside of the conference they competed 4 years in (so no one competes 4 years in the same conference). What this ultimately does is give coaches in other conferences a larger pool of athletes to recruit from. Along with high school seniors, you would could also recruit graduate transfers, which is pretty much going on now in all sports, especially football and men's basketball. I think you would see your elite level Olympic sport athletes (wrestling, swimming, gymnastics) take advantage of an extra year. Your elite college men's basketball players would most likely turn pro. Is this perfect? No, it would cause some headaches with regards to scholarships and other athletes transferring due to lack of playing time from incoming transfers. But the trade off is you give winter athletes from this season a chance to to compete at the highest stage of their respective sport. Again not perfect, but perhaps better than nothing.  

On 3/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, VakAttack said:

You're not taking away anything from the freshman other then possible the ability to participate at a chosen school...they can still participate.  They don't have to lose anything if they don't want to.  The wrestlers this season have no choice.

All wrestlers this season didn’t have a choice. 

The Freshmen this year lost the same thing the seniors lost.  If you’re giving the season back then the freshmen get it back.  That means all those freshmen will be treated as freshmen next year along with all incoming freshmen.  There absolutely will be displacement.  

if you think missing one tournament is enough to warrant a whole season getting restored then anyone who misses making the NCAA tournament next year because a fifth season senior took one of the spots should also get their year back because they only missed the NCAA tournament because of the cancelled season moved those seniors into their year.  It’s the same logic. 

There is no justification for only seniors having eligibility restored.  

All wrestlers this season didn’t have a choice. 

The Freshmen this year lost the same thing the seniors lost.  If you’re giving the season back then the freshmen get it back.  That means all those freshmen will be treated as freshmen next year along with all incoming freshmen.  There absolutely will be displacement.  

if you think missing one tournament is enough to warrant a whole season getting restored then anyone who misses making the NCAA tournament next year because a fifth season senior took one of the spots should also get their year back because they only missed the NCAA tournament because of the cancelled season moved those seniors into their year.  It’s the same logic. 

There is no justification for only seniors having eligibility restored.  
I don't think it should be just the seniors.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On 3/25/2020 at 11:18 PM, VakAttack said:

I don't think it should be just the seniors.

So you’re ensuring that incoming freshmen will never get their year as the most senior athletes. You just took opportunity away from a whole class—not just for a championship—but their whole careers. 

So you’re ensuring that incoming freshmen will never get their year as the most senior athletes. You just took opportunity away from a whole class—not just for a championship—but their whole careers. 
You keep saying that. It's not true.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:26 PM, VakAttack said:

When would incoming freshmen have their year as the most senior class if all freshmen from this year were given their season back?

Edited by Pinnum

On 3/27/2020 at 8:26 PM, VakAttack said:

You’re saying there would be more roster slots, spots in duals, national qualifier bids and All-American honors given out to accommodate for the fact that there were now five years worth of recruiting classes rather than four competing for each of those limited opportunities?

12 minutes ago, NYWRESTLER94 said:

Ncaa voted no winter athletes will get an extra year of eligibility 

Which is what was expected.  And the right call. 

we can’t get the year back. It’s unfortunate but we need to move on.   It has to really hurt for Iowa who was looking at a potential national title.  

it looks like the drama of the Iowa state last chance was all for nothing. 

Vak - step back a bit.  There are way more important things for all to focus on and make right.  This **** storm around us is getting way worse — college admin and leaders have bigger things to deal with.  And bigger messes to make right.  

Budgets are about to get slashed, college startup with new students and steps to avoid corona reflare are going to be hard and time consuming.  Kids are missing classes to graduate.  Time to let leadership focus on the bigger issues and challenges.

23 minutes ago, nom said:

Vak - step back a bit.  There are way more important things for all to focus on and make right.  This **** storm around us is getting way worse — college admin and leaders have bigger things to deal with.  And bigger messes to make right.  

Budgets are about to get slashed, college startup with new students and steps to avoid corona reflare are going to be hard and time consuming.  Kids are missing classes to graduate.  Time to let leadership focus on the bigger issues and challenges.

And the NCAA committee that voted on this, the division 1 council is a collection of those mentioned. College and conference admins and current athletes.

It is not the NCAA's job to worry about those things. There are other mechanisms in place for those concerns you're broaching. These kids, the vast majority will never compete again.beyond their collegiate careers. They should have the opportunity to compete in their limited careers the maximum amount of times. These colleges and organizations have years and decades to figure things out. These wrestlers and other winter athletes do not. They should have had the choice.

That's not even touching on the sports tragedy of guys like Spencer Lee losing an opportunity to be a 4 time champion while having a redshirt AND an Olympic redshirt available to him. Or Kolodzik and Jared Prince coming out of redshirt very late in the season to help their teams and getting, what, 9 matches in their final season? These kids should have had the opportunity to compete. I'd their coaches didn't want to mess up their scholarship allocations, then they can transfer penalty-free.

I'm genuinely hurting for guys like Pat Lugo, Kollin Moore, Luke Pletcher, Brock Zacherl, Taylor Lujan....this is awful. It's not right.

I’m not saying it isn’t a sad thing.  But come on.  Big picture this is a nit.  You’ve lost site of the tragedy that is unfolding around you.  There are so many bigger things for colleges to deal with.  They don’t need the distraction in dealing with this.

Perhaps governing bodies should find a way for people that are dying to come back to life.  Or recapture 100% of revenue / income they are losing.  Or allow doctors and nurses to undue / remove memory of the crazy stress they are dealing with.  Or allow state governments to capture the same amount of tax revenue.  Or undue the suffering and loss of people who lost loved ones and could not be next to them as they died to then as they died.  Come on governing bodies, do it.  It’s not fair!

sarcasm of course.  These wrestlers will do just fine.  They play a game.  A game important to them.  But big picture, A game.  

9 hours ago, VakAttack said:

It is not the NCAA's job to worry about those things. There are other mechanisms in place for those concerns you're broaching. These kids, the vast majority will never compete again.beyond their collegiate careers. They should have the opportunity to compete in their limited careers the maximum amount of times. These colleges and organizations have years and decades to figure things out. These wrestlers and other winter athletes do not. They should have had the choice.

That's not even touching on the sports tragedy of guys like Spencer Lee losing an opportunity to be a 4 time champion while having a redshirt AND an Olympic redshirt available to him. Or Kolodzik and Jared Prince coming out of redshirt very late in the season to help their teams and getting, what, 9 matches in their final season? These kids should have had the opportunity to compete. I'd their coaches didn't want to mess up their scholarship allocations, then they can transfer penalty-free.

I'm genuinely hurting for guys like Pat Lugo, Kollin Moore, Luke Pletcher, Brock Zacherl, Taylor Lujan....this is awful. It's not right.

The fact that in this situation you relate the word tragedy to a championship being cancelled for a season.....I don't even know what to say about that.  Wow.

I would be willing to bet every athlete you mentioned, while wishing they would have been able to compete in that tournament, disagree with your stance, and certainly would not think of not being able to wrestle in that tournament as a real tragedy here , in any way.  Unfortunate sure, tragic no.

Not to mention worrying about those things is absolutely part of what the NCAA is for.  It as all very relative to how they function and operate. One post season missed is not at all a high priority whenever the time comes to start returning things back to normal, nor should it be.

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The fact that in this situation you relate the word tragedy to a championship being cancelled for a season.....I don't even know what to say about that.  Wow.

Vak was very emotional at the posting time...

9 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Something we agree on!  Who says we can’t find agreement?

Of course, I disagree that these athletes should be given another year.  But I do feel for all those that put in all the work and didn’t get a championship.  But they got a whole season and it is time to move on. 

54 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I would be willing to bet every athlete you mentioned, while wishing they would have been able to compete in that tournament, disagree with your stance, and certainly would not think of not being able to wrestle in that tournament as a real tragedy here , in any way.  Unfortunate sure, tragic no.

Not to mention worrying about those things is absolutely part of what the NCAA is for.  It as all very relative to how they function and operate. One post season missed is not at all a high priority whenever the time comes to start returning things back to normal, nor should it be.

I used the phrase "sports tragedy", actually.  It's obviously different then a real-life tragedy.  The 1980 US Olympic Teams not being able to compete was another example of sports tragedy, for example.  

I am probably missing something as usual, but, why can't they at least allow last season to be a redshirt season if you have one available?  For example, I wrestled all year, I was a national qualifier, (so still wrestling), and the season was forced to stop.  Now I am allowed to say I will take this year as a redshirt year.  If you don't have one, well..... 

3 minutes ago, teach said:

I am probably missing something as usual, but, why can't they at least allow last season to be a redshirt season if you have one available?  For example, I wrestled all year, I was a national qualifier, (so still wrestling), and the season was forced to stop.  Now I am allowed to say I will take this year as a redshirt year.  If you don't have one, well..... 

It was only a "week" though.  If it had been the "season", it probably happens...

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

It was only a "week" though.  If it had been the "season", it probably happens...

Don't they sometimes give a redshirt to a wrestler who gets a season ending injury?  Maybe make people apply for it?