BigTimeFan

If / when the Olympics are postponed who benefits, who is hurt ?

1 hour ago, maligned said:

I really like Lee for the future, so I don't understand the negativity...

..but that was funny. :)

His post is negative?  I took him to be serious, and I agree, he will score a lot of back points in Tokyo.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

His post is negative?  I took him to be serious, and I agree, he will score a lot of back points in Tokyo.

It seemed as if he was being sarcastic regarding his seeming opinion that Lee's top game is not transferable, considering there are no swipes or counts in freestyle and possibilities for running arm-bar tilts are very limited when your opponent is using standard par terre defense. 

Edited by maligned

relax guys it was all in good fun. Lee is going to run trap-arm guts and transition from single legs to laces. I was being sarcastic because he is not teching the best in the world - that just doesn't happen at the elite echelon very often. But I do think he is a medal threat if he can make the team.

On 3/24/2020 at 6:54 PM, Mokoma said:

It would surprise me if a couple of them could last the whole match without being teched.

Tomasello was able to pull it off, so it’s definitely possible.

I'd put all those guys a tier or two above Nato, or at least the Nato we've seen since his return from injury.  Nor do I foresee Spencer teching any of them on takedowns.

That said, I think I remember Spencer beating Suriano pretty handily in December, and he's as defensively sound on his feet as any of them (save maybe Uguev), so I absolutely agree that Spencer can beat any of them on a given day.

I think he's probably on their level already, but I think there's more to winning high level senior international tourneys than just being the better wrestler.  Strategy, general match tactics, and even "managing the officials" are all important, and I'm not sure how much his Junior experience, and the HWC coaches will be able to prepare him for something he may have to experience himself.

I also assume he'll be in a Hawkeye singlet from November to March, but if he can still attend some ranking series events, maybe that's enough.

I won't be surprised if he's the clear #1 guy at 57 internationally by this time next year, as JB was at 74 in 2011, but I'm not convinced he's necessarily there yet.  I'll be surprised if he's not a multiple time World and Olympic champ by the time he calls it a career, but I don't think I would have favored him in Tokyo this year (assuming he made the team).  Not yet.

On 3/24/2020 at 11:53 AM, maligned said:

The only thing I would point to is the relatively short-notice planning of some past lesser Worlds events such as the non-Olympic weights or the U23s. But, no, there's no specific precedent for any of this. It just seems like with 7 months to look ahead before the normal Worlds month of October, and with a regular Worlds most likely not happening next year, my guess is that having a Worlds for late this year provisionally put on the calendar will be explored. It's an infinitely easier proposition than an Olympics or even than the wrestling portion of the Olympics to pull off. 

In 2016, looks like the non-Olympic worlds were not announced until May 11. So it seems they could do the same this year, hopefully for all 30 weights.  Here's the link.