Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

The greatest service academy wrestling teams

In football it was the Glenn Davis/Doc Blanchard years at Army in the 1940's.

Bobby Knight did an excellent job at Army during his basketball coaching job there.  Coach K was there, too.

Phillip Simpson was a great wrestler for Army in the early 2000's.  

Under wrestling coach  Kevin Ward, Army's doing an excellent job these days.

What about the other Service Academies, now that Cary Kolat is taking over at Navy?

What are the greatest teams in every branch of service?

1987 army had the best team.  Lone conference championship that year too.  They had 3 conf finalists, 3 third place finishers, 3 fourth and one fifth.  Don’t know how many all Americans if any.  

16 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

1987 army had the best team.  Lone conference championship that year too.  They had 3 conf finalists, 3 third place finishers, 3 fourth and one fifth.  Don’t know how many all Americans if any.  

1 champ eiwa (Messitt-126) 

1 AA Costigan 190 lost 1st round won next 4 lost last 2 to 6th

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

1 champ eiwa (Messitt-126) 

1 AA Costigan 190 lost 1st round won next 4 lost last 2 to 6th

Ah yes.  Big Mess won that year.  I keep thinking he won the same year as semmel, but he graduated in 86.

Navy had a really tough guy back in the 80's, Reich was his name. Guy was built like a gorilla, saw him wrestling at a Quadrangular in Stillwater with OSU and a couple other teams I can't remember.

Best teams? Don't know about wrestling, but Army had one of the best football teams on a consistent basis from the early 1900s-1950 or so. I think they won a few "legendary" national titles during that span. Navy hasn't been as good as Army on the football field, for the most part, but they had a few top 10 teams I think.

seems like David Robinson and His Navy basketball teams deserve a mention here.  I believe he led them to an Elite 8 appearance.  

Edited by Casey

19 hours ago, Gantry said:

Army had Mo Worthy as a finalist circa early 2000s.   Ditto with Kevin Hoy at Air Force, ran into a dude named Mocco. 

Yes but beat Rowlands to get to Mocco!. A lot of elite kids are starting to look at the Ivy league and service academies. Why because they are the top schools in the world. Nothing against the big ten or ACC but I would rather have a degree from that first group. I may be wrong but Kolat at the Naval Academy is a game changer! It is good for West Point and the Air Force/Space Force Academy as well!

Edited by PRyan2012

I went to the Navy camp a few years in probably the late 90’s, maybe early 2000’s.

I thought I remembered them being good then but just looked at their media guide and maybe not.  Their best NCAA finish between 90-91 and 05-06 was 30th.  They did have 4 top 20 finishes between 79-80 and 89-90 though.

22 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I went to the Navy camp a few years in probably the late 90’s, maybe early 2000’s.

I thought I remembered them being good then but just looked at their media guide and maybe not.  Their best NCAA finish between 90-91 and 05-06 was 30th.  They did have 4 top 20 finishes between 79-80 and 89-90 though.

Over the years, Navy was a good dual meet team and had good performances at the EIWAs particularly in the 60s/70s but not much at the NCAAs. The wrestlers were good at basics, consistent, fighters (as they should be) and in good shape. But they weren't the best athletes. 

The West Point Boxing team has won something like 10 National Championships in the last 15 years.  

In 2010 or 2011, the Boxing team was on their way back from regionals (before Nationals) and had all but one weight with a champ.  The van crashed and flipped violently (nobody died) but the WHOLE starting team was injured.  Army still placed THIRD with their BACK-UPs!!!

Army boxing is very tough to beat.  All the service academies are in the top 5 in the nation. Probably because boxing is part of the curriculum and every one of those schools have PHYSICAL requirements to be accepted.  Add to that, the population has chosen a career to "close with and destroy" the enemy and there are a lot of people to choose from.

The boxing coach, Dr Ray Barone, is also the Boxing Committee Chair and is in charge of boxing instruction.  I taught boxing with him from 2012-2015.  Let me tell you, there is no better person in the WORLD to TEACH people how to box.  We only have 19 lessons at 40 minutes each to get them proficient enough to throw punches while keeping themselves safe.  It is a FEAT when you consider that 5 of those lessons are graded match days and the first lesson is an oirientation and how to wrap your hands and put on headgear and gloves.  So really 13 lessons of 40 minutes.  520 total minutes...8 hours and 40 minutes.    

The boxing team is comprised mainly of former HS wrestlers.  The only "recruiting" the team does is during boxing class when Dr Barone approaches them for interest in the team.    That man can take any individual with the tools, and make them a champ.  

Every guy on that team wants to be a national champ and they all believe they can do it.  

Here are some fun feedback quotes from Cadets I taught when they completed their "End of round survey" :

1.  I wish I had this class before I went to junior hockey.  I was pretty tough, but I would have destroyed guys during fights with what I know now.  

2.  I went on pass to NYC with some friends and we were approached by an unarmed mugger.  We both got into our boxing stances and the guy ran away. Lions not lambs.

3.  For graded bouts, we should be allowed to bring melee weapons and wear helmets instead of boxing headgear.  

4.  The class was great and I was glad I did well, but MAJ "CPTAFW163" was very aggressive with trying to get me to join the boxing team.  I was flattered, but that team looks more like a club for troubled youth than a sports team.  --If you peek into a practice, all you see are guys with their shirts off, sporting more ink than a sharpie factory and beating someone or something.

Navy's 1970 team had 6 EIWA champs and two thirds. Coach Peery seemed to have a strategy of getting 7 real strong weights. and the other 3 not yet. I think the other two became 3+4 star admirals. PSU had the other 4 champs and a runnerup or two

On March 23, 2020 at 6:51 PM, TobusRex said:

Navy had a really tough guy back in the 80's, Reich was his name. Guy was built like a gorilla, saw him wrestling at a Quadrangular in Stillwater with OSU and a couple other teams I can't remember.

Best teams? Don't know about wrestling, but Army had one of the best football teams on a consistent basis from the early 1900s-1950 or so. I think they won a few "legendary" national titles during that span. Navy hasn't been as good as Army on the football field, for the most part, but they had a few top 10 teams I think.

John Reich was very tough.  3rd(behind Dave Shultz and Mike Sheets) and lost to Sheets in finals 1983.

The 1982-83 team was very tough(EIWA champions) and had two AA's and coming into the tournament, I believe 5 wrestlers seeded in the top 8.  This had to be one of the toughest teams that Navy ever had as far as wrestling.  

As a side note, Reich injured his neck wrestling freestyle against Dave Shultz and it was a debilitating injury that has affected him his entire life.  Very bad injury to a great guy.

Edited by pennsyrules