russelscout

Off topic: what are you guys doing during quarantine?

I still have to work (our site hasn't been shut down by NASA) because "essential"   :( 

My days off, though, I'm staying at home unless I absolutely have to go out. I'm spending all my time 1) binge watching shows on Amazon Prime and Netflix, 2) lots and lots of video games. 

27 minutes ago, stp said:

Considered essential.  UPS.    Somebody has to deliver the toilet paper.

so if I PM my address can you just drop off on front porch or maybe stuff as many as will fit it mail box?

On 3/25/2020 at 9:23 AM, bnwtwg said:

My spring full was scheduled the same weekend as Boston but was obviously cancelled. I'm still carrying through my training but instead of tapering I'm just using it as base-building straight into short race season. 108 miles this week then a hard U-turn into 46 miles and 4 speed sessions next week. Running is literally the only thing keeping me sane right now.

That's pretty impressive! 108 is lot of mileage per week.

I ran Grandma's last year and I think the highest I was running during peak training was 60ish. Whenever I seem to get over 50 consistently I start getting bursitis and other over usage injuries. I missed all my races I was planning for the late summer and fall with a stress fracture. Bummer Boston got cancelled, I know how you feel. It's nice we can at least still enjoy running though even if there are no races.

On 3/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, nhs67 said:

My grip strength has made a plethoric leap.  I pity anybody who wishes to hand fight or arm wrestle me.

As an update, my left arm has had peak gains now and continues to do so.  I'm now finding I need to favor my right arm.  It seems to have plateaued on overall strength and endurance, and I need to break through.

I just started work from home today, same day as our school district begins e-learning.  I personally am looking forward to it.  We are one of those households that goes non stop.... lots of kids, all in sports, and I work in sports.  I'm looking forward to this time of just settling in, all evening's the entire is family is home for walks, everyone taking turns making dinner, card games, etc.  

I'm spending most of my time off streaming movies/TV and gaming.

I highly recommend the following for binge watching:

"Polar" on Netflix. An over the top action movie about a 50 year old hit man retiring from the business. At least 100 people shot in the head in this movie.

If you liked "I, Claudius" (one of my favorite mini-series, btw) you might like "Rome". It was on HBO originally, but now it's included with Amazon Prime.

"Deadwood" is also a former HBO series that is excellent. "The Sopranos", of course, was a huge hit. I think both of those are on Amazon Prime.

I'll recommend "Primal", an over the top cartoon drama about a cavemen and his dinosaur pal! Brutal cartoon violence. Only 5 episodes, not sure if any more are coming out, but I bought the series nonetheless (it was pretty cheap at the time).

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

I normally get DVD's of old TV series thru my local public library because what is on TV these days is simply garbage or what I refer to as "Made for Morons TV".  But my local library has been closed most of this month due to this #**##** CHINESE VIRUS - but it MAY re-open on Wednesday of this week.

Bronco (and everyone else actually) - look into Hoopla, it's a streaming service that's tied to your library card.  It's free and you can "check out" 25 titles a month through it.  They have a pretty decent selection, especially with older titles that often aren't on the Neftlixes and Hulus of the world.  If your library uses Hoopla it's a great free resource that you can access even when the physical branches are closed. 

Edited by Gantry

16 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Bronco (and everyone else actually) - look into Hoopla, it's a streaming service that's tied to your library card.  It's free and you can "check out" 25 titles a month through it.  They have a pretty decent selection, especially with older titles that often aren't on the Neftlixes and Hulus of the world.  If your library uses Hoopla it's a great free resource that you can access even when the physical branches are closed. 

Thanks Gantry - I'll do that.   Thanks for the tip.

i'm in technology sales - our "work from home" side of the business has obviously exploded (vpn setup, soft phone, webex, etc.) but the hardware side has significantly slowed.  doing the best I can to have productive days and a full pipeline when things pick back up.

aside from work - my kids are absolutely losing their minds.  luckily the 11 year old is back in school (e-learning) this week that keeps her busy for a while but the two year old is getting tougher and tougher to keep occupied.  also been playing the stock market as much as i can.

I did check it out at hoopladigital.com however the public library in my town is apparently not subscribed to hoopla.  They listed some libraries in cities near where I live but not the city where I actually reside.

Also I browsed thru their television options and A. It appears to be primarily British TV shows and B. I did not see any American TV shows I'd be interested in watching.  So I don't think Hoopla is for me.  But thanks for the tip nonetheless.

Edited by Bronco
addition

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

As an update, my left arm has had peak gains now and continues to do so.  I'm now finding I need to favor my right arm.  It seems to have plateaued on overall strength and endurance, and I need to break through.

I bet your thumb-wrestling skills and perfunctory, at best!

Edited by TobusRex

2 hours ago, Bronco said:

I ordered all 9 seasons of "The X Files"  (the original TV series - not the gawd-awful recent 2 season remake) on DVD (one season at a time) via e-bay and Amazon.com as well as all 8 seasons of "Game of Thrones" on DVD.  

I am finding episodes of the original "The X Files" series that are completely unfamiliar to me.  Some episodes I do remember but most of them are like I've never watched them before (but almost certain did years ago).   I'm almost thru season 6.

I normally get DVD's of old TV series thru my local public library because what is on TV these days is simply garbage or what I refer to as "Made for Morons TV".  But my local library has been closed most of this month due to this #**##** CHINESE VIRUS - but it MAY re-open on Wednesday of this week.

Network TV has been garbage for decades, with few exceptions. If you have Amazon Prime you should check some of their series out, most of them are outstanding. Plus Prime also has several great HBO series: Rome, The Sopranos, Deadwood, etc.