wrestlingnerd

Americans hurt and helped the most by delayed Olympics

While we are all bored waiting for the new date, why not...

If the Olympics happen in 2021...

HELPED (in order of most to least):

• Maybe Zahid. Will his suspension be over? If so, he will actually get a shot and getting that extra time to bulk up could be a difference-maker.
  • Nolf. More time to recover from injury.
  • DT. More time to recover from injury, even if all that means is more assurance of getting to peak shape
  • Cox. More time to gradually bulk up and adjust to being bigger. (I am of the school of thought that he tried some test cuts to 86 kg along the way)
  • Gross. More time to manage weight down. Cutting to 125 a couple of weeks after peaking for NCAAs at 133 was never a good plan.
  • Dake. More time to manage weight and (less importantly) more time for JB to age
  • Lee. More time to focus on freestyle and get some more senior-level reps before it really counts.
  • Nickal. If he still insists on avoiding DT, he may as well put on some quality weight. Now he may have an extra year to do so and could gain a valuable year of experience. Still a very long shot, but you never know with an athlete of Bo's caliber.
  • Gable. He was right there with Gwiz before and if April wasn't enough time to close the gap, I am betting a year almost certainly is. He looked very sharp against Parris in his last match.
  • Fix. Any chance his alleged suspension will be over by next year?

HURT (in order of most to least):

• JO. Not getting younger. Seemed to finally hit a groove with weight management and conditioning and was on a nice roll. Now has to keep that momentum going for another year.
  • Yianni (and if suspension lifted, also Fix). He now has a similar situation as Lee, Gross, and the other college guys did this year. Not ideal to go right from NCAAs to very high-level freestyle.
  • JB. Partly due to more age and partly because Dake is helped.
  • Snyder. Entirely because Cox is helped. I had Cox over Snyder 2-1 in an epic 3-match series anyway, but with a year of physical preparation, I have Cox 2-0.

If the Olympics happen this year...

HELPED:

• Nolf, same as above
  • DT, same as above
  • Gross, same as above
  • To a lesser degree, Dake

HURT:

• Can't think of anyone meaningfully hurt.

Might be the end of the road for Nickal. This seems like the type of thing that would push a guy who was teetering on the fence of when to pull the full-time MMA training trigger. With no perfect solution weight-wise and no promises for when the Olympics will happen (even if they're provisionally rescheduled soon); why not just launch full-time into what I care about for the long-term, knowing that no amount of training will be wasted while I wait?

How about Stevan Micic, who's currently qualified for the Olympics representing Serbia? Basically has to focus on freestyle yet again in a very likely scenario that there would be a Worlds 2020 this fall with reset Olympic qualification parameters. Dude's going to be like 35 by the time he gets to wrestle his last year of folkstyle if he chooses to.

Edited by maligned

In Zahid's case, would his school/NCAA suspension necessarily affect his senior MFS career?  As far as we know, UWW never suspended him, and he was still expected to compete at the Trials (had they not been postponed), no?

10 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

HURT:

• Can't think of anyone meaningfully hurt.

I think it's fair to say that this is far from ideal for JB. 

The only person you didn't mention that this also hurts is Gilman. Another year to hold the weight... another year for Spencer to pass him, granted most of us are probably of like mind that he already has. Whether that's true or not, Gilman has looked very good the last 3 times we've seen him.  

12 hours ago, maligned said:

How about Stevan Micic, who's currently qualified for the Olympics representing Serbia? Basically has to focus on freestyle yet again in a very likely scenario that there would be a Worlds 2020 this fall with reset Olympic qualification parameters. Dude's going to be like 35 by the time he gets to wrestle his last year of folkstyle if he chooses to.

Where did you get information to qualify “very likely scenario” about a worlds in 2020?  Just curious where your info came from. 

12 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I think it's fair to say that this is far from ideal for JB. 

The only person you didn't mention that this also hurts is Gilman. Another year to hold the weight... another year for Spencer to pass him, granted most of us are probably of like mind that he already has. Whether that's true or not, Gilman has looked very good the last 3 times we've seen him.  

Spencer passed Gilman like 3-4 years ago, let’s be honest.

Gilman himself has admitted this.

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

Where did you get information to qualify “very likely scenario” about a worlds in 2020?  Just curious where your info came from. 

"Very possible" or "definitely feasible" would have been better language. No info. Just going on how UWW has made adjustments in the past and what a good portion of scientists are suggesting could be significant slowing of Corona with warmer temperatures.

I cannot possibly see having a Worlds the same year as the Olympics.  That type of thing just doesn't happen.  Especially with no site yet, no plans, a debilitated world economy, and no definite end in sight for the pandemic.  I imagine they will go with the current qualifiers, plus a rescheduled Euro qualifier and last chance.

Edited by AHamilton

11 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Spencer passed Gilman like 3-4 years ago, let’s be honest.

Gilman himself has admitted this.

He hasn't directly admitted that, only alluded to how tough Spencer is.  Two years ago Spencer lost three times to college competition, and decided not to even compete in freestyle, so let's not pretend he's been some unstoppable force all this time.   

42 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

He hasn't directly admitted that, only alluded to how tough Spencer is.  Two years ago Spencer lost three times to college competition, and decided not to even compete in freestyle, so let's not pretend he's been some unstoppable force all this time.   

He literally said “I’m in a room with Spencer Freaking Lee, if you want to be humbled grab ahold of that guy.”

Sure seems like a direct admit that he was already getting smoked.  We will see soon enough I guess.

Just realized this interview was only 2 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

He literally said “I’m in a room with Spencer Freaking Lee, if you want to be humbled grab ahold of that guy.”

Sure seems like a direct admit that he was already getting smoked.  We will see soon enough I guess.

I know what he said, we just interpret that line differently. 

5 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I know what he said, we just interpret that line differently. 

We will see.  If Gilman ever makes it to Spencer, I bet he gets ragdolled.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

We will see.  If Gilman ever makes it to Spencer, I bet he gets ragdolled.

Based on his international competition and results at World, I don't think there is anyone "ragdolling" Gilman. Gilman has proven to be pretty darn close to the best int he world.

4 hours ago, Jim L said:

Based on his international competition and results at World, I don't think there is anyone "ragdolling" Gilman. Gilman has proven to be pretty darn close to the best int he world.

A tech for Spencer would not surprise me at all.

It won’t be close.  

Gilman might (MIGHT) be ahead of Lee for the time being, but let's not pretend that Gilman (a 0x WC, 0x NCAA champ) wouldn't get beat by Lee (3x WC, should-be 3x NCAA champ). He wasn't even the starter last year. .

6 minutes ago, mg113 said:

Gilman might (MIGHT) be ahead of Lee for the time being, but let's not pretend that Gilman (a 0x WC, 0x NCAA champ) wouldn't get beat by Lee (3x WC, should-be 3x NCAA champ). He wasn't even the starter last year. .

Gilman is not ahead of Lee, I promise that.

On 3/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, Katie said:

I hate to say it, but we may never see JB at the Olympics (or worlds) ever again. And I say that as a huge JB fan.

At 32, and as fit as he always is, I wouldn't be surprised if he's just as good a year from now as he was at last years' Worlds.

That said, as a huge Dake fan, I really want him to make the team, but not by beating a washed up JB.  I'll take Dake as our rep however it happens, and happily, but to end their rivalry with a meaningful win would be fantastic.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:26 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

So it's officially 2021 now, as expected. 

Anyone know if Fix back is back in the mix? Zahid?

Has anything been reliably confirmed regarding Fix actually being out now?

As naive as it probably sounds, he just doesn't strike me as either a recreational drug or PED user. 

12 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Maybe the video lends the comment some much needed context, but the statement alone doesn't imply anything about their respective hierarchy.  At least not to me.

Nor can I imagine Gilman acknowledging something like that, whether true or not.

25 minutes ago, whaletail said:

At 32, and as fit as he always is, I wouldn't be surprised if he's just as good a year from now as he was at last years' Worlds.

That said, as a huge Dake fan, I really want him to make the team, but not by beating a washed up JB.  I'll take Dake as our rep however it happens, and happily, but to end their rivalry with a meaningful win would be fantastic.

At 32 and with three kids, it'll be tough for JB at next year's OTTs. But Dake isn't super young either. He'll be 30 in a year (and I assume with at least one kid.)

For comparison, last year's non-Dake world champs were 24, 27, 23, 21, 23, 24, 24, 23, and 25.

Edited by Katie

41 minutes ago, Katie said:

At 32 and with three kids, it'll be tough for JB at next year's OTTs. But Dake isn't super young either. He'll be 30 in a year (and I assume with at least one kid.)

For comparison, last year's non-Dake world champs were 24, 27, 23, 21, 23, 24, 24, 23, and 25.

Wow, didn't realize the average age was so young, or that Dake was the oldest champ.

7 hours ago, Mokoma said:

A tech for Spencer would not surprise me at all.

It won’t be close.  

Considering Gilman almost never gets turned (has he ever been exposed internationally?), and I don't see Spencer taking him down 5x, a tech seems a stretch.

I think I'd favor Lee, but in a pretty close match.