Jump to content
wrestlingnerd

Americans hurt and helped the most by delayed Olympics

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, whaletail said:

Has anything been reliably confirmed regarding Fix actually being out now?

As naive as it probably sounds, he just doesn't strike me as either a recreational drug or PED user. 

I was wondering the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helps Nico Megaludis?

27 year old Megaludis is on the USA Wrestling Team, but had not earned an automatic bid to the trials and a knee injury was going to keep him from competing in the Last Chance Olympic Trials Qualifier. That qualifier was postponed, and now with the one-year delay of the Olympics, Megaludis should be healthy enough to compete.  “I think I’ll be ready to rock and roll when the time comes,” Megaludis said. “If anything, this benefits me. I don’t say that in a selfish way, but that’s the reality of it.” -- https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/olympics/2020/03/25/Olympics-postponed-Hanna-Green-Josh-Matheny-Bruce-Baumgartner/stories/202003250076

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jross said:

Helps Nico Megaludis?

27 year old Megaludis is on the USA Wrestling Team, but had not earned an automatic bid to the trials and a knee injury was going to keep him from competing in the Last Chance Olympic Trials Qualifier. That qualifier was postponed, and now with the one-year delay of the Olympics, Megaludis should be healthy enough to compete.  “I think I’ll be ready to rock and roll when the time comes,” Megaludis said. “If anything, this benefits me. I don’t say that in a selfish way, but that’s the reality of it.” -- https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/olympics/2020/03/25/Olympics-postponed-Hanna-Green-Josh-Matheny-Bruce-Baumgartner/stories/202003250076

Well that’s awesome for him!  He’s a contender for sure for a top 3 spot if healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helped:

  • DT - more time to recover from his major injury
  • Cox - more time to adjust to new weight class,and perhaps add some more bulk
  • Some Young Super Heavyweight (e,g, Parris) to fill the vacuum in the US super heavyweight division

Hurt

  • JB - one of the GOAT if not GOAT is past his prime, and will be further from his prime a year from now

Bonus answer, same question for Iran

Helped

  • Yazdani - Time to recover from his minor injury, and hopefully to improve his cardio
  • Mohammadian - Has been improving significantly since coming back from suspension, and if he can continue to improve, he will be true top 3 contender
  • Zareh - Has been on whirlwind since getting pinned by Perris, and another year might make a a legitimate medal contender

Hurt

  • Hadi - His career is sunsetting, and what little chance he had of qualifying this year will be reduced to zero

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, irani said:

 

  • Yazdani - Time to recover from his minor injury, and hopefully to improve his cardio 

His conditioning has definitely hurt him in a couple instances at 86kg, but raw cardio has always been a strength of his. I would argue that he needs a strength and conditioning program that helps him grow into the weight so he's more capable of explosively moving opponents repeatedly the way he could at 70 and 74. His power output drops off significantly during matches at 86 despite his naturally good cardio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maligned said:

His conditioning has definitely hurt him in a couple instances at 86kg, but raw cardio has always been a strength of his. I would argue that he needs a strength and conditioning program that helps him grow into the weight so he's more capable of explosively moving opponents repeatedly the way he could at 70 and 74. His power output drops off significantly during matches at 86 despite his naturally good cardio.

I do not see that way.

Specifically against DT, He dominated the first two minutes of the match strength wise, pushed Dt him, physically overpowered him and owned him for two minutes.  I think he was up 6-0 or something like that in both matches.  He then ran out of gas both times, got pinned the first time, and lost by several points i the second match.

With everyone else, he overpowers them and techs them before he runs out of fas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, irani said:

I do not see that way.

Specifically against DT, He dominated the first two minutes of the match strength wise, pushed Dt him, physically overpowered him and owned him for two minutes.  I think he was up 6-0 or something like that in both matches.  He then ran out of gas both times, got pinned the first time, and lost by several points i the second match.

With everyone else, he overpowers them and techs them before he runs out of fas

We're saying the same thing about his issue. It's his power output that drops off. He can move guys around great for a short time but not a whole match.

Because his general cardio was always a positive at lower weights, we can guess it's naturally good and something he know how to train. Like he can go run a few miles or sprints or do :30 go's again and again. 

Conditioning for power output is different. To frame it as weightlifting endurance: at 74kg, he could squat 90kg for 50 reps in 6 minutes. That was plenty to keep power output high. Now he can squat 100kg for 50 reps in 6 minutes. The problem is that an intense match at 86kg is asking him to do the equivalent of squatting 110kg for those 50 reps. He can only do it comfortably for 25 reps before he drops off because he's not strong enough and conditioned enough to keep 110kg lifts going like he needs to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, maligned said:

We're saying the same thing about his issue. It's his power output that drops off. He can move guys around great for a short time but not a whole match.

Because his general cardio was always a positive at lower weights, we can guess it's naturally good and something he know how to train. Like he can go run a few miles or sprints or do :30 go's again and again. 

Conditioning for power output is different. To frame it as weightlifting endurance: at 74kg, he could squat 90kg for 50 reps in 6 minutes. That was plenty to keep power output high. Now he can squat 100kg for 50 reps in 6 minutes. The problem is that an intense match at 86kg is asking him to do the equivalent of squatting 110kg for those 50 reps. He can only do it comfortably for 25 reps before he drops off because he's not strong enough and conditioned enough to keep 110kg lifts going like he needs to.

You make an excellent point, I was using the wrong term.  Not Cardo but conditioning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, Mokoma said:

Spencer passed Gilman like 3-4 years ago, let’s be honest.

Gilman himself has admitted this.

 

On 3/25/2020 at 7:34 AM, Mokoma said:

He literally said “I’m in a room with Spencer Freaking Lee, if you want to be humbled grab ahold of that guy.”

Sure seems like a direct admit that he was already getting smoked.  We will see soon enough I guess.

Just realized this interview was only 2 years ago.

 

On 3/25/2020 at 7:44 AM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I know what he said, we just interpret that line differently. 

I gotta agree with Steamboat here. Furthermore saying that its humbling to wrestle Spencer Lee doesnt mean hes necessarily passed Gilman. I would imagine as a world finalist not being able to rag doll a college true freshman (remember that statement was made 2 years ago) would be an awfully humbling expereience. Furthermore Gilmans quote is far from admitting that Lee has passed him, certainly not 3 years ago. If he had then Tom Brands has done Spencer a true disservice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to lean toward this new Olympic schedule may be of benefit to JB.  Gives him a little bit of a break, allows his body to recharge a bit.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gwiz might be the most hurt of all. Gives the young crop of heavyweights nipping at his heels one more year to develop and in some cases (Kerk) grow into the weight some more.

I have zero doubt that one year from now Gable, Parris and Kerk will be better (potentially a lot better) than they are today. I don’t see much of a reason to say that about Gwiz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My girlfriend is actually pretty happy over this.  The country she wrestles for has an older squad and they decided who was going to the qualifiers last July, but now with injuries and some of the women losing interest or not wanting to keep wrestling for a variety of reasons, they hit the reset button on all of that, so their version of the trials is now in November.  So she gets another shot at it and an extra 7 months to prepare.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We're saying the same thing about his issue. It's his power output that drops off. He can move guys around great for a short time but not a whole match.
Because his general cardio was always a positive at lower weights, we can guess it's naturally good and something he know how to train. Like he can go run a few miles or sprints or do :30 go's again and again. 
Conditioning for power output is different. To frame it as weightlifting endurance: at 74kg, he could squat 90kg for 50 reps in 6 minutes. That was plenty to keep power output high. Now he can squat 100kg for 50 reps in 6 minutes. The problem is that an intense match at 86kg is asking him to do the equivalent of squatting 110kg for those 50 reps. He can only do it comfortably for 25 reps before he drops off because he's not strong enough and conditioned enough to keep 110kg lifts going like he needs to.

Very good analogy. If one of your Forte’s is strength and conditioning this will make a huge difference. When I made the move from 103 to 130 people thought I was getting into trouble or not working as hard because I was gassing, when it was simply: A: I needed to adjust my strength and conditioning and B: I needed to acclimate to the weight. After a brutal offseason I finally corrected the problem. This was only at the high school level....I can’t imagine the difference at the world level. Yaz has had time to adjust to the weight. He should adjust his Strength and Conditioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

Has anyone mentioned Nolf? He has more time to train FS and grow into the weight class. With all of the hoopla over the world champs, it can be easy to forget how good Nolf is. 

Agree. Not sure he'll have the freestyle chops to contend genuinely for the spot at 74 with JB and Dake, even with them being a year older--but he's got a chance for a big jump up while they're getting slightly older.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...