Sign in to follow this  
MDogg

Will guys take back to back Olympic redshirts now?

Games officially pushed to 2021. Will guys like Yianni, Mekhi, etc take back to back Olympic Redshirts? Does Michigan and Cornell punt in back to back seasons? 

Will Micic take his 3rd Olympic RS next season?

Edited by MDogg

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

This is the next piece of the puzzle I am real interested in seeing how it works out.  Will the NCAA allow for back to back ORS' is the first question.

Some guys need to get on with their lives!!!

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This is the next piece of the puzzle I am real interested in seeing how it works out.  Will the NCAA allow for back to back ORS' is the first question.

They don’t currently limit them, hence my comment about Micic potentially taking his 3rd. If Micic does he’ll be 8 years removed from high school during his final NCAA season. 

Just now, MDogg said:

They don’t currently limit them, hence my comment about Micic potentially taking his 3rd. If Micic does he’ll be 8 years removed from high school during his final NCAA season. 

I know but I'm referring to the unprecedented situation we are in.  We've never had a situation of taking ORS' in back to back school years.

Just now, fadzaev2 said:

How many years is a kid supposed the be in college, start to finish???

ehhh....I feel like this: who are we to say what getting on with their lives means for them?  It's not like these kids are sitting around the bus stop playing craps.  They're being productive, advancing their lives.  You have a very small window in life to be a peak athlete, I have zero problem with 20 somethings taking advantage of opportunities.  Many of these kids by the time their athletic eligibility is up, they have been able to parlay that into a master's degree by that time, or within a year after.  I don't see how its a bad thing.

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I know but I'm referring to the unprecedented situation we are in.  We've never had a situation of taking ORS' in back to back school years.

Another wrinkle: how will they handle the ORS eligibility when it comes to the “top 3 placement at prior year NCAA tournament.” Roll over 2019 placers (like Max Dean) or just remove that eligibility all together?

Talk about unprecedented...

5 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Another wrinkle: how will they handle the ORS eligibility when it comes to the “top 3 placement at prior year NCAA tournament.” Roll over 2019 placers (like Max Dean) or just remove that eligibility all together?

Talk about unprecedented...

Exactly.  There's so many "little things" in all of this rescheduling, redirecting, re prioritizing that we don't think of at first glance.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

ehhh....I feel like this: who are we to say what getting on with their lives means for them?  It's not like these kids are sitting around the bus stop playing craps.  They're being productive, advancing their lives.  You have a very small window in life to be a peak athlete, I have zero problem with 20 somethings taking advantage of opportunities.  Many of these kids by the time their athletic eligibility is up, they have been able to parlay that into a master's degree by that time, or within a year after.  I don't see how its a bad thing.

well said Lurker.

I wonder if the NCAA would consider an abbreviated season next year, and plan to begin and end in the fall semester alone or in the spring semester alone.

If COVID dies down by the fall, they could begin the season in the fall and end before the spring semester begins. That should remove the need for Olympic redshirts.

However, if COVID is still a health threat in the fall, they could wait to start the season until the spring semester. (Of course, the entire may have to be canceled, depending on how things develop.) This option, of course, would do nothing for Olympic hopefuls.

Frankly, I think the college wrestling season is too long anyway, so in my view it would be a good experiment.

Edited by Katie

3 hours ago, MDogg said:

This would be pretty awesome if so. In 2014 at the Indiana state finals, high school senior Stevan Micic beat freshman Nick Lee. If Micic takes another redshirt, Nick Lee will graduate a year before Micic. 

7 minutes ago, Regulator said:

This would be pretty awesome if so. In 2014 at the Indiana state finals, high school senior Stevan Micic beat freshman Nick Lee. If Micic takes another redshirt, Nick Lee will graduate a year before Micic. 

That would be incredible...great insight.

NCAA just shut down a GoFundMe set up by Trevor Lawrence (Clemson QB) as he was raising money for those affected by COVID 19. The NCAA doesn’t care about the athletes, especially those that don’t make them $100s of millions of dollars.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

NCAA freezes eligibility clock during ORS. Does it still run in the Ivy League?

Someone can correct me here but the Ivies want their athletes to be done in  8 attended semesters. So when a kid drops out of school for ORS or for what I call an Ivy redshirt the Ivies don't count them. They are still limited by NCAA regs so that a kid couldn't be in school more than 5-6 years by constantly dropping out the fall semester.

So basically as to ORS the NCAA clock would stop.

33 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Someone can correct me here but the Ivies want their athletes to be done in  8 attended semesters. So when a kid drops out of school for ORS or for what I call an Ivy redshirt the Ivies don't count them. They are still limited by NCAA regs so that a kid couldn't be in school more than 5-6 years by constantly dropping out the fall semester.

So basically as to ORS the NCAA clock would stop.

I was thinking it was strictly an Ivy League rule, with nothing to do with the NCAA. They have a no red shirt rule, and I thought they had a rule where you had 5 years to complete your athletic eligibility. But I'm not positive. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?

8 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

I was thinking it was strictly an Ivy League rule, with nothing to do with the NCAA. They have a no red shirt rule, and I thought they had a rule where you had 5 years to complete your athletic eligibility. But I'm not positive. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?

It's misleading to say they don't redshirt. Kids take a semester off from school and the Ivies don't count the year. Robbie Preston took off consecutive fall semesters so he could get 8 undergraduate years in- I think he had some kind of injury issue. They don't generally do quite what is a redshirt to the rest of the country- stay in school and practice with the team. Kolodzik was taking an ORS and 4(?) Cornell kids did that this year with Berryesa coming back.

Thanks @gimpeltf and @82bordeaux - it looks like the current Ivy League rule is that student-athletes are only eligible for competition during their 8 semesters (or equivalent term) of active enrollment in college, and that the league disallows grad students from competing in varsity sports.

So, it looks like Yianni could ORS again (if he qualifies through USAW) without it affecting his eligibility clock. And that's before whatever changes, if any, the member schools make if they want to offer eligibility relief to those affected by the shutdowns.

45 minutes ago, pamela said:

Thanks @gimpeltf and @82bordeaux - it looks like the current Ivy League rule is that student-athletes are only eligible for competition during their 8 semesters (or equivalent term) of active enrollment in college, and that the league disallows grad students from competing in varsity sports.

So, it looks like Yianni could ORS again (if he qualifies through USAW) without it affecting his eligibility clock. And that's before whatever changes, if any, the member schools make if they want to offer eligibility relief to those affected by the shutdowns.

Flo just did an interview with Yianni (after the announced postponement), and he gave every indication of wrestling at Cornell next year (and either at 141 or 149, depending on Rob Koll's view and who comes in and lives up to expectations).  He did say that if the Ivy League changes their "no grad" rule for the affected seniors, there are some guys (plural) on the team who would come back (read:  Tucker).

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

NCAA just shut down a GoFundMe set up by Trevor Lawrence (Clemson QB) as he was raising money for those affected by COVID 19. The NCAA doesn’t care about the athletes, especially those that don’t make them $100s of millions of dollars.

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Still don't think a defensive player 6 inches shorter than Lawrence should get called for targeting, especially when there was no launching.