Sign in to follow this  
shieldofpistis

What happened to Jon Jones's wrestling ability?

Ok Marcus here is mma and wrestling thread.  I recently watched once again Jon Jones destroy Shogun on YouTube.  For the first few years Jon Jones had best mma wrestling. Maybe you could argue GSP but GSP could not damage fighters from top like Jon.  Jon took down guys like DC, Chael, the Janitor, Hammil, Bader, Rampage and even Machida who had awesome take down defence. 

Jones doesn't use his wrestling anymore.  He is content to fight standing up and arguably  was gifted a decision verse Reyes.  The old Jones would have taken down and destroyed Reyes.

What happened to his wrestling?

Also add to the fact that there is a lot more wear and tear and grind on your body in the grappling aspect than in the stand up striking game. If you can continue to win while lessening that impact on your body, you’re going to be more inclined to continue to do so. 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Also add to the fact that there is a lot more wear and tear and grind on your body in the grappling aspect than in the stand up striking game. If you can continue to win while lessening that impact on your body, you’re going to be more inclined to continue to do so. 

You think peds have anything to do with it or that wrestling just isn't a friendly sport as you age?

8 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

You think peds have anything to do with it or that wrestling just isn't a friendly sport as you age?

Wrestling isn’t friendly as you age. But I don’t understand “peds have anything to do with it”?

42 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Ok Marcus here is mma and wrestling thread.  I recently watched once again Jon Jones destroy Shogun on YouTube.  For the first few years Jon Jones had best mma wrestling. Maybe you could argue GSP but GSP could not damage fighters from top like Jon.  Jon took down guys like DC, Chael, the Janitor, Hammil, Bader, Rampage and even Machida who had awesome take down defence. 

Jones doesn't use his wrestling anymore.  He is content to fight standing up and arguably  was gifted a decision verse Reyes.  The old Jones would have taken down and destroyed Reyes.

What happened to his wrestling?

As it relates to wrestling, I agree with the things Lurker and Schute said but to be honest with you, I was never really a fan. I think the guy had 2-3 (3 I believe) suspensions and was known for illegally using elbows and poking guys in the eyes. Its for these reasons and others I do not like him and never will.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

As it relates to wrestling, I agree with the things Lurker and Schute said but to be honest with you, I was never really a fan. I think the guy had 2-3 (3 I believe) suspensions and was known for illegally using elbows and poking guys in the eyes. Its for these reasons and others I do not like him and never will.

I get why you don't like him.  But I still thought he was the best ever. now I gotta go with gsp because he never tested positive.  Gsp such a great wrestler for not doing it in amateur ranks.

Still like  GSP....trained hard/smart, learned how to wrestle, not having ever done it as an amateur....great attitude/personality.  His face seemed "tender" for the lack of a better word, so it looked sometimes like he was beat up more than he really was.  Fadz

11 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

I think wrestling for Jones is just too tiring. Not worth possibly getting exhausted if you can just stand up and win by throwing your hands. 

Grappling does wear you out faster....I wonder in Reyes had better tdd than the quality wrestlers Jones took down

Just heard Conor McGregor spent one million euros (approx 1.1 million in dollars) on protective equipment for hospital staff treating patients with the coronavirus in Ireland. Now that’s what you call putting your money where your mouth is. High props to McGregor for demonstrating at a really high level how much his country and his people mean to him.

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Beat me to it.  Pretty sure we've seen the last of him in the Octagon.

Can’t stay out of trouble.  The strange thing is, when he was young and first entering the sport I remember being so impressed by his composure and thought he would be a great example for the sport.  I even remember his first incident, and thinking well everyone messes up, but this is getting ridiculous.

New title of this thread is what happened to Jon Jones common sense.  Or at least his ability to pay a handler that can keep his common sense in check while in public. This again reaffirms why I took Cormiers side during their spat even though Jones talent likely made him the  MMA favorite.   Such a waste of talent, and sadly he will still be sitting pretty the rest of his life after getting out of his current mess even if he never sets foot in MMA again. .  

Edited by MadMardigain

I’m actually starting to feel pity for the guy.  Has so much and yet he does these things.  I’d say he needs to serious help before he heads deeper down this dark and ugly road.

5 minutes ago, nom said:

I’m actually starting to feel pity for the guy.  Has so much and yet he does these things.  I’d say he needs to serious help before he heads deeper down this dark and ugly road.

Sadly he’s has enough warning signed and hasn’t seeked the helps he needs.   I’d feel pity for him if it wasn’t the first or even second time he’s had these issues, but at this point he’s clearly rejected the attempts to fix his situation.  I have more pity for his family that has tried to stick with him through these time only to be disappointed yet again. 

It's almost like an Antonio Brown situation.  I've got to imagine he is pretty CTE'd up as well.  Surrounding himself with hangers-on, gold-diggers, and yes-men instead of people who really want him to succeed.  It's sad.