BigTenFanboy

Careers that could have been..

The Monroeville 4 minus Logan Stieber.

Hunter Stieber 6th, 3rd, injured.  Beat the defending champ Russell as a true freshman and with the body of a child.  Probably “shoulda,” won his sophomore year, but Port upset him, “woulda,” won his junior year but he was hurt and “coulda,” won his senior year (yes in a bracket with Rutherford), but still hurt.

Cam Tessari was 4th as a true freshman then got into some trouble.  Sounds like he eventually turned things around.

Chris Phillips was a 4x Ohio State Champ, traded wins with Ed Ruth in HS.  Didn’t quite make it to college wrestling.

Edited by madcat11

I was always very impressed with Ben Whitford. Thought he would have had success. Has had some success in US freestyle competition.

Thought the same about Destin McCauley. He ultimately had a decent D2 career, but I thought he would have been sure-fire D1 top dog

6 hours ago, madcat11 said:

Hunter Stieber 6th, 3rd, injured.  Beat the defending champ Russell as a true freshman and with the body of a child.  Probably “shoulda,” won his sophomore year, but Port upset him, “woulda,” won his junior year but he was hurt and “coulda,” won his senior year (yes in a bracket with Rutherford), but still hurt.

Cam Tessari was 4th as a true freshman then got into some trouble.  Sounds like he eventually turned things around.

Chris Phillips was a 4x Ohio State Champ, traded wins with Ed Ruth in HS.  Didn’t quite make it to college wrestling.

I was very excited to see what Phillips could do in college after watching his amazing HS career, but we never had the chance.  I honestly at that time, having wrestled HS in Ohio and following Ohio wrestling intensely, originally thought Logan of the whole bunch might burn out by college.  Boy was I wrong!!

9 hours ago, madcat11 said:

Why didn't they let Hunter take an entire year or two off to heal?

My son was a Fargo and Folkstyle AA behind Devin Peterson a few years during high school. 

Devin was a high-level talent and many thought a lock to do well in DI.

He got in some trouble his senior year and I think he wrestled in DII/III.

He always carried himself well at tournaments and I never heard a bad word about him.

I hope he’s doing well.

I should have skipped college athletics and stuck with my passion of architecture. The first year of Architecture at VT is all you take and the class ran all day and through practices. I’d be happier and would have only spent 5 years in college instead of 11 1/2.

Blake Maurer.  4x Indiana state champ had his career cut short at Ohio St due to injury.

Matt Coughlin, IU.  Won everything there was to win as a senior.  Won Fargo, beat Morningstar at Sr Nationals.  Was an AA at IU his RFr year and that was it.  I think I remember him trying to cut tons of weight.  Was 160 as a senior in HS and was trying to make 149 at IU if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

I should have skipped college athletics and stuck with my passion of architecture. The first year of Architecture at VT is all you take and the class ran all day and through practices. I’d be happier and would have only spent 5 years in college instead of 11 1/2.

That's the reason why I did not wrestle in college. I chose career calling over sport I loved.