Jump to content
BigTenFanboy

Careers that could have been..

Recommended Posts

Riley Lefever.  Late bloomer so didn’t get much of a DI look.   Ended up a 4x NCAA DIII champ.  Beat some decent DI wrestlers.  Was high on the freestyle ladder right after college.  What if he’s given A full DI career and training partners?

Edited by MadMardigain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

I often think of Jason Tsirtsis.  Winning a title as a freshman and then having the string of tragedies hit him and he was never the same wrestler, for understandable reasons.

Additionally, the rule changes regarding leaving the wrestling area limited his effectiveness.

Not a slight, his skill set was just better suited for the rules earlier in his career where the boundary wasn't as firm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

Additionally, the rule changes regarding leaving the wrestling area limited his effectiveness.

Not a slight, his skill set was just better suited for the rules earlier in his career where the boundary wasn't as firm.

I don’t agree at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

Blake Maurer.  4x Indiana state champ had his career cut short at Ohio St due to injury.

Matt Coughlin, IU.  Won everything there was to win as a senior.  Won Fargo, beat Morningstar at Sr Nationals.  Was an AA at IU his RFr year and that was it.  I think I remember him trying to cut tons of weight.  Was 160 as a senior in HS and was trying to make 149 at IU if I remember correctly.

Matt Coughlin’s situation started his sophomore year, after wrestling at 149 as a freshman, cutting lots of weight, couldn’t beat out his training partner Brandon Becker at 157 that next year, and from then after. Then I think an injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a few guys I always wondered about.....

Chad Espinoza, I think he beat Matt Koz his senior year at senior nationals, but I don't remember hearing about him in college.

Ryan Needle, I think he went to Ohio State but I never heard much of anything in college.

Ricky LaForge, I think he ended up at a D2 or D3?

Jason Hackett, won senior nationals and went to ASU but never heard anything. Pretty sure he never made the lineup at ASU. Think he beat Herbert?

Jared Villers? Where did he end up?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Here's a few guys I always wondered about.....

Chad Espinoza, I think he beat Matt Koz his senior year at senior nationals, but I don't remember hearing about him in college.

Ryan Needle, I think he went to Ohio State but I never heard much of anything in college.

Ricky LaForge, I think he ended up at a D2 or D3?

Jason Hackett, won senior nationals and went to ASU but never heard anything. Pretty sure he never made the lineup at ASU. Think he beat Herbert?

Jared Villers? Where did he end up?

Edited by Sstern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Michael Pirozzola, 4x PA finalist 2x champ early 2000s. I think he had injury issues at Lehigh and just never lived up to the hype. He was unbelievable in high school. 

Ribs, IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Schwab...... a staph infection/surgeries in/on a knee cut short by 2 years, the college career of 4 time high school state champion/2 time all-american Mark Schwab (UNI).  Then went on to have a great coaching career....from a great wrestling family

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 3:12 AM, madcat11 said:

Speaking of graham, Aaron Hart and Cameron Doggett.

Cameron Doggett was injured badly, and Aaron Hart grew up in quite a tough (e/-difficult) household.  No doubt two other wrestlers who coulda shoulda been NCAA AA's.    

 

 

Edited by stp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Michael Pirozzola, 4x PA finalist 2x champ early 2000s. I think he had injury issues at Lehigh and just never lived up to the hype. He was unbelievable in high school. 

 

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Ribs, IIRC.

I think i heard he tore his pectoral muscle from his ribs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...