BigTenFanboy

Careers that could have been..

12 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Riley Lefever.  Late bloomer so didn’t get much of a DI look.   Ended up a 4x NCAA DIII champ.  Beat some decent DI wrestlers.  Was high on the freestyle ladder right after college.  What if he’s given A full DI career and training partners?

Toon just beat More last year at the Open or Trials. Forget which one.

18 hours ago, Konquest said:

Felipe Martinez and Israel Martinez are a couple of good ones.  When someone posted Felipe, I immediately thought about Izzy.

Izzy Martinez was just  fired  resigned. Still can't get out of his own way and not screw up a good thing.

Let me put out the disclaimer that I'm not close to the high school scene at all. I have heard hearsay from buddies that are coaches that go both ways on the issue but you know how that goes so I have no clue what's true and what isn't.

https://illinoismatmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67829

https://illinoismatmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67955

On 3/26/2020 at 4:26 AM, TripNSweep said:

Here's a few guys I always wondered about.....

Chad Espinoza, I think he beat Matt Koz his senior year at senior nationals, but I don't remember hearing about him in college.

Ryan Needle, I think he went to Ohio State but I never heard much of anything in college.

Ricky LaForge, I think he ended up at a D2 or D3?

Jason Hackett, won senior nationals and went to ASU but never heard anything. Pretty sure he never made the lineup at ASU. Think he beat Herbert?

Jared Villers? Where did he end up?

Villers had a solid career at WVU. 197. Just didn’t get over the hump at NCAAs. One year he beat Bergman first round.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:34 AM, madcat11 said:

The Monroeville 4 minus Logan Stieber.

Hunter Stieber 6th, 3rd, injured.  Beat the defending champ Russell as a true freshman and with the body of a child.  Probably “shoulda,” won his sophomore year, but Port upset him, “woulda,” won his junior year but he was hurt and “coulda,” won his senior year (yes in a bracket with Rutherford), but still hurt.

Cam Tessari was 4th as a true freshman then got into some trouble.  Sounds like he eventually turned things around.

Chris Phillips was a 4x Ohio State Champ, traded wins with Ed Ruth in HS.  Didn’t quite make it to college wrestling.

Of those guys the one I regretted not getting to see finish his career in D1 was Cam Tessari. He was a wild wrestler, lots of fun to watch, and had a lot of talent. Didn't he move down to D2 or D3 after his "issues" at Ohio State? How'd he do, I'd imagine he probably won some titles at D2 or D3.

Regarding Hunter Steiber, he seems like a pretty good guy (judging by his twitter account). I remember a few years ago him posting a picture of his anemic, skinny arms and making a comment about "his guns" , lol. Got to love that kind of sense of humor.

Edited by TobusRex

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Of those guys the one I regretted not getting to see finish his career in D1 was Cam Tessari. He was a wild wrestler, lots of fun to watch, and had a lot of talent. Didn't he move down to D2 or D3 after his "issues" at Ohio State? How'd he do, I'd imagine he probably won some titles at D2 or D3.

Regarding Hunter Steiber, he seems like a pretty good guy (judging by his twitter account). I remember a few years ago him posting a picture of his anemic, skinny arms and making a comment about "his guns" , lol. Got to love that kind of sense of humor.

Went to our local NAIA school to see Cam in a dual.  All eyes were on him from warmup till he left the building. Was a real treat to see someone that good.  He won a NAIA title.

2 hours ago, TLS62pa said:

Garrett Scott (rip) was top 3 most talented wrestlers I have ever been around. Pulled rs at PSU freshman year. Flamed out at the end. R12. Then off mat issues derailed the rest.

Didn’t he blow his knee out at Big Tens?  Pretty sure flamed out isn’t the right word.

Tony Cook from Perry, Oklahoma. He was a 3 time state HS champ in Oklahoma in the 80's, and was a FS World Champ (Cadet or Junior, can't remember which).  I guarantee John Smith knows Tony Cook (at least by reputation). Don't know what happened to Tony, if he got HEW or something else, I never heard of him accepting  any wrestling scholarships or saw any results for him after he graduated from HS.

Edited by TobusRex

3 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Didn’t he blow his knee out at Big Tens?  Pretty sure flamed out isn’t the right word.

That sounds right. Was so long ago I forgot the details. 

8 hours ago, TLS62pa said:

Garrett Scott (rip) was top 3 most talented wrestlers I have ever been around. Pulled rs at PSU freshman year. Flamed out at the end. R12. Then off mat issues derailed the rest.

Agree 100% - Scott wasn’t just good, he was special.