Jump to content
BigTenFanboy

Careers that could have been..

Recommended Posts

There was a PA stud (multiple championships, Fargo  And Seniors Champ/High AA, Beast/Ironman Winner, nationally p4p top 10) from the early 2000s but I can’t remember his name. He committed to one of the PA schools, Lehigh I think. 
 

Anyway he was dating a girl who came from a wealthy family and her parents weren’t a fan and thought he was beneath them. He was given a motorcycle and a bunch of cash to not go because she was going there, so he took their offer and either didn’t enroll or was only enrolled for a short time.

Heard this from 3 or 4 different PA guys who were on Team PA with him. They also all went to Foxcatcher together growing up, so they knew a lot about each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Troy Nickerson - international career.  The kid was damn slick.  Shoulder injury derailed what should have been a multiple time NCAA champ career.  I would have put him as the lead dog in freestyle coming out of college.  Wished we could have seen what could have been.

Sticking with Cornell - also thinking of Travis Lee - concussion issues led to FS career being cut short.

I know these aren’t the same as many of the above but wanted to get it out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

There was a PA stud (multiple championships, Fargo  And Seniors Champ/High AA, Beast/Ironman Winner, nationally p4p top 10) from the early 2000s but I can’t remember his name. He committed to one of the PA schools, Lehigh I think. 
 

Anyway he was dating a girl who came from a wealthy family and her parents weren’t a fan and thought he was beneath them. He was given a motorcycle and a bunch of cash to not go because she was going there, so he took their offer and either didn’t enroll or was only enrolled for a short time.

Heard this from 3 or 4 different PA guys who were on Team PA with him. They also all went to Foxcatcher together growing up, so they knew a lot about each other.

Didn't go to Lehigh, but Luciano was pretty good coming out of HS.  Went to ASU and had injury problems and didn't adjust well.  He ended up wrestling at a D2 or D3 and not doing too well.  Sadly he was killed in a road rage accident like 8 years ago and the person responsible for causing it was never found.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Of those guys the one I regretted not getting to see finish his career in D1 was Cam Tessari. He was a wild wrestler, lots of fun to watch, and had a lot of talent. Didn't he move down to D2 or D3 after his "issues" at Ohio State? How'd he do, I'd imagine he probably won some titles at D2 or D3.

Regarding Hunter Steiber, he seems like a pretty good guy (judging by his twitter account). I remember a few years ago him posting a picture of his anemic, skinny arms and making a comment about "his guns" , lol. Got to love that kind of sense of humor.

Yes Cam was a gun slinger.  Found this article about him.  http://beta.sanduskyregister.com/story/201805200006  

 

Sounds like he quit for a  while and worked construction then came back and went runner up then champ in NAIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riley Lefever.  Late bloomer so didn’t get much of a DI look.   Ended up a 4x NCAA DIII champ.  Beat some decent DI wrestlers.  Was high on the freestyle ladder right after college.  What if he’s given A full DI career and training partners?

Emmett Willson for the same reason. Yes he has a Hodge Trophy, but watching him dominate like he did that year, it would have been cool to see him in a top DI program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Alex Meade.  Apologies for the grainy video, but he has his way with Frank Molinaro in high school at the Beast:

 

 

I wrestled Meade a lifetime ago ,I can confirm he was the real deal... Never saw this match before but I remember when this happened , crazy watching molinaro get molinaroed lol , Meade was way more physical 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Any cliffnotes for those who are not behind the paywall :)

Mark Hall I'm guessing would be pretty high up there with six Minnesota state titles.

I should have clarified - it's "Best HS Wrestlers Who Didn't Have a College Career"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 9:52 PM, nom said:

Troy Nickerson - international career.  The kid was damn slick.  Shoulder injury derailed what should have been a multiple time NCAA champ career.  I would have put him as the lead dog in freestyle coming out of college.  Wished we could have seen what could have been.

Sticking with Cornell - also thinking of Travis Lee - concussion issues led to FS career being cut short.

I know these aren’t the same as many of the above but wanted to get it out there.

Brandon Womack.  As a freshman, beat Anthony Valencia in the blood round to get AA at 165.  Moved to 174 and his style was not conducive to that weight.  Lost to Bo Jordan in SV the first round of NCAAs in 2018. Lost to Mark Hall second round of 2019.  Broke his collarbone senior year, and flamed out of EIWAs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Miller- Renville/Sacred Hearrt HS, MN. 4X Champ.  HEW, tried at SDSU anyway for a couple of years. He was a load.

John Iannuzzi, Bayside NY HS. Freshman NCAA AA for Wisconsin. Left school after 3 semesters.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunate to see 2 Northampton guys on this thread. But some of the all time best wrestlers at Northampton had careers which didn't pan out past HS.

Jeff Ecklof already mentioned, add his bro Joe who was a 3x time champ and Pitt recruit to the list. Luciano was mentioned, who was a man amongst boys in HS. Josh Haines had his career cut short by injury at Maryland. Jon Oplinger was also a 2 or 3x AAA champ who probably should have continued at the next level.

Troy Letters is also a guy who comes to mind who had his career cut short who was a stud at Lehigh.

Edited by DuckFor2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Cisneros was three-time state champion in California and four-time state finalist and a consensus top 10 national recruit in high school. He went to Cornell and did very little. Probably Koll's most disappointing recruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 9:52 PM, nom said:

Troy Nickerson - international career.  The kid was damn slick.  Shoulder injury derailed what should have been a multiple time NCAA champ career.  I would have put him as the lead dog in freestyle coming out of college.  Wished we could have seen what could have been.

Sticking with Cornell - also thinking of Travis Lee - concussion issues led to FS career being cut short.

I know these aren’t the same as many of the above but wanted to get it out there.

Lee was a two-time champ. Nickerson won just one, but had 4 top-4 finishes. They did OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Lee was a two-time champ. Nickerson won just one, but had 4 top-4 finishes. They did OK.

The purpose of the thread is careers that could have been.  I posted about their freestyle career that could have been.  Is that ok with you?

Edited by nom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nom said:

The purpose of the thread is careers that could have been.  I posted about their freestyle career that could have been.  Is that ok with you?

You didn't start the thread so I don't see how you decide the purpose. 

The OP was: "

 Which wrestlers stand out to you as woulda coulda shoulda if not for some circumstances."  Is says nothing about freestyle. So your 'tude in NOT ok. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...