Jump to content
BigTenFanboy

Careers that could have been..

Recommended Posts

Here's a few guys.

Billy Murphy from CA. I think he was an Iowa recruit but didn't have the grades. Maybe he had other issues?

Levi Duyn. Smoked the field at senior nationals and had a barn burner in the finals losing like 14-12 to Daniel Mason Strauss. He beat Ryan Needle and Pat Payne along the way. Pretty good for a 1x state champ from Florida.

Hector Torres. Went to ASU and never started despite being 5th or 6th on the senior freestyle ladder.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 12:04 PM, Chucktown_Luke said:

Riley Reiff was a stand out wrestler in HS. He was untouchable Freshman-Junior season. Senior year he stepped away to pursue football. With career earnings north of $50 million, I believe that he made the correct decision.

Saw him at a tourney as a freshman. Just a man among boys, even at age 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Saw him at a tourney as a freshman. Just a man among boys, even at age 15.

Yup, but -- slightly different topic -- I'm always amazed at the skill gaps among the elite of the elite. When we wrestled Good Counsel, they had both Snyders. Both were so much better than our kids -- state placers fwiw -- that it was impossible to tell that one would be an Olympic champ while the other an average DI recruit. Against our kids, both were equally unbeatable. Then you have a one-of-one who has owned the other one-of-one.

I know this is a bunch of platitudes, but I just got caught up thinking about "could have beens" and the extreme rarity of Kyle Snyders.

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 2:10 AM, TripNSweep said:

Here's a few guys.

Billy Murphy from CA. I think he was an Iowa recruit but didn't have the grades. Maybe he had other issues?

Levi Duyn. Smoked the field at senior nationals and had a barn burner in the finals losing like 14-12 to Daniel Mason Strauss. He beat Ryan Needle and Pat Payne along the way. Pretty good for a 1x state champ from Florida.

Hector Torres. Went to ASU and never started despite being 5th or 6th on the senior freestyle ladder.

 

 

I saw Duyn wrestle in his first college tournament at the old VMI freshman tournament. Lost to a kid from ODU who never placed at the Virginia state tournament. Could have been one of those situations where in hindsight, you realize the weight might have not been that stacked. Good guys for HS and the best at their weights, but sometimes competitive context can expose some things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of Virginia guys:

Daniel Frishkorn-took 4th as a freshman at Oklahome State then had a terrible car crash due to a seizure and had to retire.

Jordan Frishkorn-Fargo champ, had some incredible battles with Cameron Doggett that they split at Ironman and Beast of the East. Was at Okie State fora year and RS and then left.

Patrick Bond-won everything there was to win in High School and had just a meh career at Illinois. Couple time NQ but never lived up to his recruit status.

Michael Martin-4x champ in VA, had some great battles with CP Schlatter in HS. Senior national champ. Went to Illinois and never did much. Transferred to ODU and was on the roster but never really wrestled. 

Couple of Blair guys:

Austin Ormsbee

Travis Blasco

Eric Medina

Edited by VAtoSC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 8:01 PM, Asa Packer said:

Not sure if the OP meant great HS wrestlers whose college career was unfulfilled. Or college wrestlers bitten by injury bug preventing greatness.

Either way, Troy Nickerson & Troy Letters shouldn't be mentioned in this category.

T Nick went 4-3-2-1 (not in that order) despite being bitten by injury bug.

Letters went 2-1-3-dnp. His Sr year was marred by injury. Never forget EIWA finals where he was injured and down a point to Anceravage of Cornell. 

He stood for about 30 seconds as time ran out as he had nothing left to give. Was very sad.

Any video of Letters vs Aceravage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VAtoSC said:

 

Michael Martin-4x champ in VA, had some great battles with CP Schlatter in HS. Senior national champ. Went to Illinois and never did much. Transferred to ODU and was on the roster but never really wrestled. 

 

Michael was in the starting lineup at ODU at 133 pounds in the 05-06 season after transferring from Illinois. He eventually lost out on the starting position to true freshman and eventual NCAA finalist Ryan Williams. Michael saw sporadic action his senior year at 141, but "never really wrestled" isn't really accurate. He saw considerable time before losing the starting spot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I saw Duyn wrestle in his first college tournament at the old VMI freshman tournament. Lost to a kid from ODU who never placed at the Virginia state tournament. Could have been one of those situations where in hindsight, you realize the weight might have not been that stacked. Good guys for HS and the best at their weights, but sometimes competitive context can expose some things. 

He did beat some high ranked guys at that senior nationals. Maybe he just had a great weekend. I don't think many of those guys went on to do much in college. I think Pat Payne maybe was an AA? I don't know where Ryan Needle ended up and Mason-Strauss ended up being an MMA champion. He just seemed like the kind of guy who would really improve a lot in a college room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Must have maxed out physically and technically by his senior year of hs.

that kid was around forever. when you start at 5, you have a good chance of burning out if you aren't managed appropriately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bond never made excuses for his lack of college success, but he had a pretty significant injury (believe it was a knee) either late in his HS career or early in college and he was never the same guy after that. Had the tools. Not quite on the Kjeldgaard type of level with an injury impacting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Bond never made excuses for his lack of college success, but he had a pretty significant injury (believe it was a knee) either late in his HS career or early in college and he was never the same guy after that. Had the tools. Not quite on the Kjeldgaard type of level with an injury impacting him.

He used to wrestle a kid from my club in the finals at every national tournament. He always competed well and carried himself with tremendous class. 

 

The most successful guys on my college team were the ones who never got hurt. I think luck is a HUGE factor in the career people have. It blows my mind, however, that the top guys rarely seem to have catastrophic injuries. Perhaps it is positional management that prevents them from injury exposure, or perhaps, in the words of Brock Lesnar, they have a horse shoe up their butt (they are lucky).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

He did beat some high ranked guys at that senior nationals. Maybe he just had a great weekend. I don't think many of those guys went on to do much in college. I think Pat Payne maybe was an AA? I don't know where Ryan Needle ended up and Mason-Strauss ended up being an MMA champion. He just seemed like the kind of guy who would really improve a lot in a college room.

I wrestled Duyn my sophomore year in college, he was a freshman at the West Virginia Open.  I didn’t know who he was just that he was from the Citadel and I went up quick on him 8-1 after the first period.  From then on he hit a series of throws and we had a shootout and he ended up beating me 24-19.  I was stunned but impressed with his crazy comeback, especially for a freshman in one of the first tournaments of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2022 at 1:21 PM, VAtoSC said:

 

Couple of Blair guys:

Austin Ormsbee

Travis Blasco

Eric Medina

Medina fell off before college , he took a few loses his senior year , he took 7th at the beast of the East and lost to a guy who was never an NJ state champ , I’m surprised he even wrestled the one year of college …definitely a case of HEW

Edited by Antitroll2828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Medina fell off before college , he took a few loses his senior year , he took 7th at the beast of the East and lost to a guy who was never an NJ state champ , I’m surprised he even wrestled the one year of college …definitely a case of HEW

Also think of Chris Villalonga (Cornell)

Jared Platt (Va. Tech)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villalonga was a 4x qualifier, seeded twice, R12 once and an All-American. College wrestling is hard and even blue-chippers have to fight to place just once. Not a bad career at all. I see a "what could have been" as guys that maybe flamed out or HEW before hitting college. 

Platt (RIP) was at Penn State and while his off-the-mat things might have derailed his career, he was also a diabetic, which impacted his performance in ways few people can really understand. 

Hess at Lehigh also dealt with fighting lymphoma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake Deitchler is the epitome of this. Head injuries ruined him. Had a decent match with Kyle Dake his freshmen year early in the year. I am convinced with time back to get into folk style he would have AA’ed 4x and likely won it. Just couldn’t kick the concussions.

Felipe Martinez from St Paris Graham was a beast. Never wrestled college I believe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Jake Deitchler is the epitome of this. Head injuries ruined him. Had a decent match with Kyle Dake his freshmen year early in the year. I am convinced with time back to get into folk style he would have AA’ed 4x and likely won it. Just couldn’t kick the concussions.

Felipe Martinez from St Paris Graham was a beast. Never wrestled college I believe

Lunatic Fringe...I know you're out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...