Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Cal Poly's 13 new recruits for 2020-2021 season

There are a few of the 13 new recruits for Cal Poly who I think have  some real potential.   Particularly Adam Jacob (133/141) and J. T. Stinson (174 lbs) and Tyler Gianakopulos (197/285)

================

Brenden Johnson of Del Oro H.S. in California    (133 lbs)    
Johnson placed 8th at the 2019 CA State tournament at 132 lbs - He did not compete at the 2020 CA State tournament

================

Adam Jacob of East Pennsboro H.S. in Pennsylvania    (133/141 lbs)    
Jacob placed 4th at the 2020 Pennsylvania State wrestling tournament at 132 lbs (He also competed at 138 lbs occasionally) and 6th at the 2019 Pennsylvania State wrestling tournament at 113 lbs (he also competed at 120 lbs that year but was at 113 for State)

================

Joshua Medina of Servite High School in California        (141 lbs)
Medina placed 6th at the 2020 CA State tournament at 138 lbs and he placed 7th at 132 lbs as a Junior in 2019.

================

Logan Gioffre of Buchanan H.S. in California            (149 lbs)    
Gioffre place 4th at the 2020 CA State tournament at 145 lbs.  He defeated Elijah Blake (see next Cal Poly recruit) 2-1 in the 2020 CA State tournament consolation semi-finals.  Gioffre did not place at the 2019 or 2018 CA State tournament.

================

Elijah Blake of Del Oro High School in California        (149 lbs)
Blake placed 5th at the 2020 CA State tournament at 145 lbs.  He also placed 7th at 138 pounds at the 2019 CA State tournament and 7th at 132 lbs at the 2018 CA State tournament..

================

Noah Cortez of Dinuba High School in California        (157 lbs)
Placed 6th at 2020 CA State tournament at 152 lbs.  He also placed 8th at 145 pounds at the 2018 CA State tournament.   Cortez qualified for the 2019 CA State tournament but went 1-2 at same.

================

William Kloster of Lemoore High School in California    (165 lbs)
Kloster placed 8th at the 2020 CA State tournament at 160 lbs and he also placed 8th at the 2019 CA state tournament also at 160 lbs.

================

JT Stinson of East Nicolaus High School in California    (174 lbs)
Stinson placed 3rd at the 2020 CA State tournament at 170 lbs.  Stinson also placed 5th at the CA State tournament in 2019 at 152 lbs and 7th at the 2018 CA State tournament at 152 lbs.  Stinson also qualified for the 2017 CA State tournament at 132 lbs, as a 9th grader, but did not place.

================

Jarad Priest of Bakersfield High School in California    (174 lbs)
Priest placed 6th at the 2020 CA State tournament at 170 lbs and he also placed 7th at the 2019 CA State tournament at 170 lbs

================

Tyler Avila of Porterville H.S. in California            (184 lbs)    
Avila placed 7th at 182 lbs at the 2020 CA State tournament.   He did not compete at the 2019 CA State tournament.

================

Tyler Gianakopulos of Clovis High School in California    (197/285)
Gianakopulos placed 2nd at the 2020 CA State tournament at 195 lbs and he also placed 5th at the 2019 CA State tournament at 182 lbs and 7th at the 2018 CA State tournament at 170 lbs.

================

Josh Harkey of Dana Hills High School in California        (197/285)
Harkey placed 5th at the 2020 CA State tournament at 195 lbs.  He qualified for the 2019 CA State tournament but did not place at 182 lbs.

================

Trevor Tinker of Northview H.S. in California        (197/285)
Tinker placed 6th at the 2020 CA State tournament at 195 lbs.  He lost 3-2 to Harkey (See above) in the 5th place match at the 2020 CA State tournament.  Tinker qualified for the 2019 CA State tournament at 182 lbs but did not place (he went 1-2).   

================

Thank you for this. Frankly I would love to see more recruiting classes even though it’s still early to finalize. There’s no more sites dedicated to classes and recruiting as far as I can see. 

2 hours ago, Nathan said:

Thank you for this. Frankly I would love to see more recruiting classes even though it’s still early to finalize. There’s no more sites dedicated to classes and recruiting as far as I can see. 

Pinfall recruiting is the best I have seen. Check them out. 

14 hours ago, Nathan said:

This list of new recruits for Cal Poly for next season came from "The Open Mat" and their commit list for various schools - which you can see here:

The Open Mat commitment list for 2020-2021

Wow, kind of surprised there isn't a single state champ in the mix, plus several who barely placed.  Who is the coach out there? I can't believe they couldn't snag a single CA state champ.

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Wow, kind of surprised there isn't a single state champ in the mix, plus several who barely placed.  Who is the coach out there? I can't believe they couldn't snag a single CA state champ.

Cal Poly seems to get a lot of the 2nd tier California wrestlers - They are still very good wrestlers having placed several times in California. That in itself is very tough to do. However, like you said they aren't the top tier CA kids. However, some of those kids end up better than the top tier kids. Takes a good coach to develop them. Also, Cal Poly has tougher admission standards which might have something to do with it. 

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I would be more surprised is Cal Poly had gotten a CA State champ to commit or sign with them.    I don't mean that as a "slam" it's just that this year's class for Cal Poly is probably the best recruiting class I can recall for them since a long time ago.  Most of their new recruits the last few years have either not placed or placed no higher than 5th at the CA State tournament.

Also the Seniors in CA who win a State championship in wrestling (or multiple State championships) go to the bigger wrestling programs.  I believe their are 2020 CA wrestlers who have either signed or committed to Nebraska, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, North Carolina, etc., etc., etc.

Cal Poly has had some very poor recruiting years of late.  It's been a long time since the days of Darrell Vasquez, Chase Pami, Boris & Filip Novachkov, etc.

Edited by Bronco
add on

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

I would be more surprised is Cal Poly had gotten a CA State champ to commit or sign with them.    I don't mean that as a "slam" it's just that this year's class for Cal Poly is probably the best recruiting class I can recall for them since a long time ago.  Most of their new recruits the last few years have either not placed or placed no higher than 5th at the CA State tournament.

Also the Seniors in CA who win a State championship in wrestling (or multiple State championships) go to the bigger wrestling programs.  I believe their are 2020 CA wrestlers who have either signed or committed to Nebraska, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, North Carolina, etc., etc., etc.

Cal Poly has had some very poor recruiting years of late.  It's been a long time since the days of Darrell Vasquez, Chase Pami, Boris & Filip Novachkov, etc.

The 06-07 squad had a pretty good roster with those names you mentioned. Last year they did land two top 100 recruits. Maybe on the upswing 

Cal Poly has also signed Kendall La Rosa of Pitman HS in CA.  He placed 4th at 160 lbs at the 2020 CA State tournament and he was a 2019 SQ at 160 lbs

Here's a story which mentioned he signed with Cal Poly:

https://www.modbee.com/sports/high-school/article241383211.html

Kendall's older brother, Joe La Rosa, was a Sophomore for Cal Poly last season.

Edited by Bronco
addition