allout101

NCAA voting on eligibility March 30th

Flo reports the NCAA is making final decisions on spring/winter student athletes eligibility by voting next week March 30th. Remember, they're going to be looking at this from across the board with all NCAA sports. Not viewing wrestling like, "okay, these guys already qualified for nationals, so only they can compete again next year."

Therefore, if the NCAA grants seniors another year, however it may be, Zahid Valencia will be back competing come March. He may have to sit out 3/4 of the season for his 1 year suspension, but should still be eligible come Pac-10 to qualify. 

Where's Mudflap been?

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

My guess is spring sports will get the year, winter will not.  Spring lost the whole season, winter just lost the "playoffs"

Until the second largest NCAA money maker - men’s basketball- has players who sue them. 

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

Until the second largest NCAA money maker - men’s basketball- has players who sue them. 

On what legal grounds do you expect college players to sue and win and force an additional season, should it not go that way?

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

On what legal grounds do you expect college players to sue and win and force an additional season, should it not go that way?

On the same grounds as spring sports.  They were not afforded the opportunity to complete their season based on a national pandemic. If they award it to one season because they did not compete at all why would they not in fairness grant it to the seasons that were started but not completed? 

Edited by Idaho

5 hours ago, allout101 said:

Flo reports the NCAA is making final decisions on spring/winter student athletes eligibility by voting next week March 30th. Remember, they're going to be looking at this from across the board with all NCAA sports. Not viewing wrestling like, "okay, these guys already qualified for nationals, so only they can compete again next year."

Therefore, if the NCAA grants seniors another year, however it may be, Zahid Valencia will be back competing come March. He may have to sit out 3/4 of the season for his 1 year suspension, but should still be eligible come Pac-10 to qualify. 

Where's Mudflap been?

Zahid's could be strictly an ASU thing. 

9 hours ago, Idaho said:

On the same grounds as spring sports.  They were not afforded the opportunity to complete their season based on a national pandemic. If they award it to one season because they did not compete at all why would they not in fairness grant it to the seasons that were started but not completed? 

The winter season was completed. The post-season wasn’t. The two are not the same case and not relevant to each other. 

I don’t want them to say no to winter, I’m just saying why I don’t see it, nor a successful lawsuit, happening. 

I will be stunned if anything happens for winter sports. They had their season. Spring sports will likely get the year back like DIII already did.

Also, what does it mean that "the NCAA will vote?" Who is "the NCAA" in this scenario? The schools, the conference commissioners, the NCAA Board of Governors?

Edited to add this link from March 20

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28932853/ncaa-vote-spring-eligibility-relief-march-30

I understand the 'they had their season' argument but I totally don't like it. Sure do hope there's strength in numbers or perhaps pressure from basketball.

Kolodzik came back late in the year. Someone here knows of a wrestler whose 'season' is even briefer than Kolodzik's?

Edited by jon

One thing to keep in mind about whether giving wrestling the year is workable or not, and I'm not getting into whether the NCAA will do it or not, is that wrestling may be fairly unique in what it means to be a starter. In wrestling, generally the starter is such in a very high percentage of contests. So the discussion we've had about displacing upcoming athletes is significant especially going into the post-season where the one guy is it. In team sports, coaches can weave kids in and out better. And if the team makes the post-season, all the kids are eligible. In other individual sports such as track, x-country and swimming multiple entries are usually allowed and the post-season is sometimes based on performance times/distances.