steen-hooph

Snyder has a year to grown into hwt or he sits...

12 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

I was the one championing the idea of a Varner learning to be a HWT right after Snyder stole his thunder.  The shrunkin Olympic weight really make this a one year issue though, but sadly it could change career trajectories for someone. . 

I too liked the concept of Varner becoming our Heavyweight.  Things looked great until he went against a huge heavy (Hadi from Iran in the World Cup). I suspect a similar results with Snyder.  I think he could beat everyone except the top guys that are also full-sized heavies.

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

I too liked the concept of Varner becoming our Heavyweight.  Things looked great until he went against a huge heavy (Hadi from Iran in the World Cup). I suspect a similar results with Snyder.  I think he could beat everyone except the top guys that are also full-sized heavies.

I was really hoping after that Cup he was going to take a year there to bulk up and then test the waters again, but sadly he opted not too. I agree he would have had some issue with the top guys. But I think he would have closed that gap with a year or so of bulk (muscle and weight) and HWT specific focus. His style wasn’t that far off as it was.  Guess we will never know.    

Edited by MadMardigain

2 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

I was really hoping after that Cup he was going to take a year there to bulk up and then test the waters again, but sadly he opted not too. I agree he would have had some issue with the top guys. But I think he would have closed that gap with a year or so of bulk (muscle and weight) and HWT specific focus. His style wasn’t that far off as it was.  Guess we will never know.    

Agreed.  I think he could have been competitve for a bronze and that he was our best bet until Gwiz emerged.

2 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

why is everyone so sure he won't continue to be our 97kg rep? Did I already miss the Olympic Trials while holed up in my bunker?

Nah, I would just love to see both Cox and Snyder (and Taylor) on our Olympic team and think that perhaps a bulked up Snyder has the strength to compete with top heavies without losing his  technique or quickness.

So, (A), Kyle is just not big enough to be a World beater at Heavyweight. (B), I am pretty tired of everyone writing Kyle off, while I do believe that J’den has improved immensely, and unfortunately for Kyle he has hit a few snags these last couple of years, but I don’t think that’s an absolute indicator of Kyle’s demise at the hands of J’den. But if you want to employ this kind of logic, you can look at their most recent common opponent (Salas from Cuba), Kyle teched him while J’den had a very tough battle with him. But I will also say that the common opponent thing doesn’t always mean anything. 
Anyway, I think that both of these two are in a foot race and who trains and prepares  the best, will be our representative. 

6 hours ago, Jim L said:

He almost beat Hadi after only a month or two to bump up for that world cup match. Varner should train with Snyder now Cassar is done. Even if Varner doesn't make the team it is still worth it for Snyder training with another guy trying to make the team vs a coach partner. 

Varner beat Bradley, Hall and Nelson. Lost to Coon on a last second takedown when he was winning. Internationally he was 2-1 losing to Hadi at world cup 3-1. If the guy bulks to 245-250 and trains with Snyder daily I like his chances of beating Gwiz, Bradley, Nelson and Gable. 

13 hours ago, PRyan2012 said:

Varner beat Bradley, Hall and Nelson. Lost to Coon on a last second takedown when he was winning. Internationally he was 2-1 losing to Hadi at world cup 3-1. If the guy bulks to 245-250 and trains with Snyder daily I like his chances of beating Gwiz, Bradley, Nelson and Gable. 

Varner over Gable will never happen.

Varner is 34 and he doesn't have the frame to get to a good 250 pounds.  He isn't beating Gwiz or Gable at this point of his career.   The best guys he's beaten at HWT are not international medal threats, and that was two years ago.    He can keep matches close because it's heavyweight and that's what he's done his entire career, but that doesn't translate into winning against the world's best. 

This isn't a knock against Jake, he's a legend.  But his age and size are too much to overcome at this point. 

I think this delay benefits Snyder as he will have additional time to work with Cael and Company.  I predict a more technical and smoother Snyder who can also bring the pace but much less reliant on pace going forward.  I think Cox beats this year’s Snyder and next year’s Snyder beats this years Cox.  

18 hours ago, de4856 said:

So, (A), Kyle is just not big enough to be a World beater at Heavyweight. (B), I am pretty tired of everyone writing Kyle off, while I do believe that J’den has improved immensely, and unfortunately for Kyle he has hit a few snags these last couple of years, but I don’t think that’s an absolute indicator of Kyle’s demise at the hands of J’den. But if you want to employ this kind of logic, you can look at their most recent common opponent (Salas from Cuba), Kyle teched him while J’den had a very tough battle with him. But I will also say that the common opponent thing doesn’t always mean anything. 
Anyway, I think that both of these two are in a foot race and who trains and prepares  the best, will be our representative. 

I don’t think saying he may not be able to beat Cox but could be the rep at HWT is “writing him off.”  

On 3/27/2020 at 7:53 AM, Cradle1 said:

Varner over Gable will never happen.

Why do you say never. Varner was beating Cassar last year I know for a fact. I know this does not translate into Varner beating Gable but he surely has a chance. However I think Gable will be our rep though.   BTW Varner is considering making a run. He has a perfect situation to do it for one last go!