Titabawassee

Campbell University New Coach

I kind of speculated this may happen (on the Kolat to Navy thread).

Not certain if staying within was a better option for Campbell than a National search ?

Hoping Sentes can maintain the momentum of this improving Program.

What are they supposed to do? Bring in a new coach that current athlete do not know or maybe tried recruiting them elsewhere and they don’t like? I know people will keep bringing up guys who were better athletes like Pritzlaff, Jaggers, etc but to me this is the correct hire or Mike Evans. For 1, the current athletes already know the coaches. They did not transfer out already so I am guessing they like the coaches they have. 2, these assistants are involved in recruiting and Campbell has a good class coming in. I would be surprised to see many if any decide to go elsewhere.

You should not see a mass exodus like you did when Dresser came into Iowa St, Bono to SDSU and Wisconsin. This should be more like when Kish took over NDSU and Eggum at Minnesota. Hopefully they can maintain and or build to be even better.

38 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

What are they supposed to do? Bring in a new coach that current athlete do not know or maybe tried recruiting them elsewhere and they don’t like? I know people will keep bringing up guys who were better athletes like Pritzlaff, Jaggers, etc but to me this is the correct hire or Mike Evans. For 1, the current athletes already know the coaches. They did not transfer out already so I am guessing they like the coaches they have. 2, these assistants are involved in recruiting and Campbell has a good class coming in. I would be surprised to see many if any decide to go elsewhere.

You should not see a mass exodus like you did when Dresser came into Iowa St, Bono to SDSU and Wisconsin. This should be more like when Kish took over NDSU and Eggum at Minnesota. Hopefully they can maintain and or build to be even better.

Yes they were recruited but they came to wrestle for someone of the caliber of Kolat not Sentes. Campbell just went back to the bottom.

2 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

You may be right but it's not even April, the school year isn't even close to over and with Covid everything is at a standstill.  Kolat has been gone a week, Sentes has been the coach for a few hours.   You wouldn't see transfers no matter what happened with the hire at this point, so it's all a guess as to who stays and who goes.  I'm hoping they all stay but I just feel like the jury is out in that regard. 

What is definitely good though is that given how different the academies are, you won't see Campbell wrestlers jump ship (see what I did there?) for Navy.

Edited by Gantry

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Yes they were recruited but they came to wrestle for someone of the caliber of Kolat not Sentes. Campbell just went back to the bottom.

Kind of an ignorant statement there to an extent, especially considering the recent track record of light weight success at Campbell. They have done amazing at developing ok recruits. To think Sentes is not working hands on helping develop guys is dumb. 

I get that it is hard to sell a non Olympic caliber athlete as a great coach, for some reason wrestling is one of the few if any sports to be this way. All of the huge name coaches in wrestling have never done it alone. John Smith, Dan Gable and Cael surrounded themselves sith amazing technician assistant coaches who were great workout partners and masked any flaws they had. They were the name the drew athletes to the program and are great CEO types.

The flip side you have coaches like J Robinson, Pat POP, Tom Ryan, Kevin Dresser and Brian Smith that were good or better college guys but did not have the mystique of Olympic Gold. So as coaches they were shortchanged to taking over mediocre programs and building them from the ground up. Even with track record of development they get few to no true blue chip talents and year in and out develop all Americans and top 10 or better teams. If these coaches got the recruits that Smith, Gable and Cael get, they would win as many titles as they did.

5 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Kind of an ignorant statement there to an extent, especially considering the recent track record of light weight success at Campbell. They have done amazing at developing ok recruits. To think Sentes is not working hands on helping develop guys is dumb. 

I get that it is hard to sell a non Olympic caliber athlete as a great coach, for some reason wrestling is one of the few if any sports to be this way. All of the huge name coaches in wrestling have never done it alone. John Smith, Dan Gable and Cael surrounded themselves sith amazing technician assistant coaches who were great workout partners and masked any flaws they had. They were the name the drew athletes to the program and are great CEO types.

The flip side you have coaches like J Robinson, Pat POP, Tom Ryan, Kevin Dresser and Brian Smith that were good or better college guys but did not have the mystique of Olympic Gold. So as coaches they were shortchanged to taking over mediocre programs and building them from the ground up. Even with track record of development they get few to no true blue chip talents and year in and out develop all Americans and top 10 or better teams. If these coaches got the recruits that Smith, Gable and Cael get, they would win as many titles as they did.

Most people have never heard of Sentes, I sure hadn’t. That’s a problem. In today’s athletics you need success AND name recognition.

2 hours ago, Boompa said:

Campbell is in danger of becoming a stepping stone program for head coaches.

They made the right choice.

As a somewhat avid fan of UTC, I long for the days when the program was a stepping stone.  They had their most success when they had Terri Brands and then Chris Bono.  Then they decided to go with someone with a much lower profile with local ties because they didn't like big names leaving after a few years.  While it wasn't all bad, they just can't and haven't gotten the same level recruits.  

Edited by Broomstick

20 minutes ago, Titabawassee said:

Where have you been?

Ok just looked him up.

Assistant coach at Cal Poly, I should have known his name since they are the powerhouse of the West!

Two time all-American, ok I’m on board with that, 4th at 133 as a senior and 7th at 125 as a freshman. What happened in between?

Wrestled for Central Michigan in the MAC. Why is a 4 time FL state championing wrestling at a program that most people forget even had wrestling? Was he recruited by big time programs? Not a lot of success out of Florida high school phenoms, even those that win a watered down (Compared to the past) senior nationals title.

No wrestler ever said I want to be the next Scotti Sentes but I guarantee a lot of them said I want to be the next Cary Kolat.

10 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Ok just looked him up.

Assistant coach at Cal Poly, I should have known his name since they are the powerhouse of the West!

Two time all-American, ok I’m on board with that, 4th at 133 as a senior and 7th at 125 as a freshman. What happened in between?

Wrestled for Central Michigan in the MAC. Why is a 4 time FL state championing wrestling at a program that most people forget even had wrestling? Was he recruited by big time programs? Not a lot of success out of Florida high school phenoms, even those that win a watered down (Compared to the past) senior nationals title.

No wrestler ever said I want to be the next Scotti Sentes but I guarantee a lot of them said I want to be the next Cary Kolat.

Has a wrestler ever said they want to be the next Tony Robie?  Seems like Robie’s and Sentes’ wrestling credentials are pretty comparable.

I’m surprised they did it so quickly but I like the hire.  Shows they will promote from within and hopefully this prevents a lot of guys from transferring.

I guarantee you nobody wants to be the next Pat Popolizzio, what was he about a 2x NQ and never even close to AA? Sentes was a decent recruit. Central Michigan was getting good recruits around that time. They got Ben Bennett, 4x AA I believe. They brought in Mike Ottinger, Joey Kielbasa, Zach Horan and Nick Hodgkins in 2011 I believe as all top 50 recruits, some had injuries and other issues as many do not work out. In 08 Central Michigan had the #3 recruiting class in the http://d1collegewrestling.net/Recruiting_Rankings2008.html

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Has a wrestler ever said they want to be the next Tony Robie?  Seems like Robie’s and Sentes’ wrestling credentials are pretty comparable.

I’m surprised they did it so quickly but I like the hire.  Shows they will promote from within and hopefully this prevents a lot of guys from transferring.

Robie had been a head coach before he came to VT. VT had recently won an NCAA team trophy. Not a good comparison. VT Wrestling was already a brand when he took over, Campbell is not.

56 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

I guarantee you nobody wants to be the next Pat Popolizzio, what was he about a 2x NQ and never even close to AA? Sentes was a decent recruit. Central Michigan was getting good recruits around that time. They got Ben Bennett, 4x AA I believe. They brought in Mike Ottinger, Joey Kielbasa, Zach Horan and Nick Hodgkins in 2011 I believe as all top 50 recruits, some had injuries and other issues as many do not work out. In 08 Central Michigan had the #3 recruiting class in the http://d1collegewrestling.net/Recruiting_Rankings2008.html

Once again Pop had HC experience. He built a program BEFORE building a dominate program at NC State.

#3 recruiting class is impressive! I must have overlooked them panning out and their run at a ton of AAs.

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

Robie had been a head coach before he came to VT. VT had recently won an NCAA team trophy. Not a good comparison. VT Wrestling was already a brand when he took over, Campbell is not.

Yeah that’s kinda the point.  You have to start somewhere.  Yes Campbell was able to get Kolat, but the biggest name they were likely going to be able to get was maybe someone like Tony Ramos.  And pretty much all he has over Sentes is better credentials as a competitor (which shouldn’t be that big of a factor IMO).  I think it makes sense that’s they’d choose familiarity with the school/program/wrestlers over that.

2 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Pop was an AA his senior year (8th)

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah that’s kinda the point.  You have to start somewhere.  Yes Campbell was able to get Kolat, but the biggest name they were likely going to be able to get was maybe someone like Tony Ramos.  And pretty much all he has over Sentes is better credentials as a competitor (which shouldn’t be that big of a factor IMO).  I think it makes sense that’s they’d choose familiarity with the school/program/wrestlers over that.

They were able to get Kolat bc no one else wanted him. Look at most of the head coaches in DI. They either have great credentials, lots of regional high school contacts or wrestled for a well known school. 

Tony Ramos is a recognizable name. They took the easy, and cheaper, way out by hiring in house.

9 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

It's a great comparison in the fact that they have very comparable competitive resumes. No one knew Robie was a HC before that anyway.

On topic, Campbell will fade to obscurity unfortunately .

6 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

They were able to get Kolat bc no one else wanted him. Look at most of the head coaches in DI. They either have great credentials, lots of regional high school contacts or wrestled for a well known school. 

Tony Ramos is a recognizable name. They took the easy, and cheaper, way out by hiring in house.

So just to be clear, you think they should have hired Ramos because he’s a bigger name, with no regard for whether or not he’s a better coach than Sentes?

Edit: Sentes wrestled in Florida and Michigan, and has coached in California and NC.  I imagine due to that he likely has quite a few “regional contacts.”  Edit 2:  And looking at their roster, I see they have 3 guys from Michigan and 1 each from CA and FL, including 2 of their 3 best wrestlers (Morgan and Gonser).  I imagine he had to have at least helped recruit them.

Edited by 1032004

Some truly terrible takes in this thread...

Great coaches aren't always great world beater wrestlers. 

Good example here - Carl Poff from LHU. 

As head coach of the LHU wrestling team, Poff took the team to new heights. The winningest wrestling coach in school history, Poff's teams went 167-62-3 and amassed a winning percentage of .720. His 2000-01 team went 21-2 and his 1996-97 team finished fifth at the NCAA Division I Championship – the highest finish in school history – behind five individual All-American performances. Poff's teams won four team PSAC titles and the school's only EWL title in 1997. He led 13 student-athletes to All-American status and coached 80 Division I national qualifiers. As a student-athlete, Poff was a two-time NCAA qualifier at nearby Bloomsburg University (1979)