Titabawassee

Campbell University New Coach

That year at nationals he also had wins over Tyler Graff, BJ Futrell, Rollie Peterkin while only losing to Andrew Long (twice)

He placed ahead of those guys as well as Mike Grey, Devin Carter, and Lou Ruggirello.

He’s not exactly a nobody.

The silver lining of this covid thing is you get to find out who actually knows about wrestling and who doesn’t. In another thread, there’s a guy with over 1k posts asking what a crackdown is and in this thread you’ve got another guy with over 1k posts who has no idea who Scotti Sentes is. 

Sentes is hugely respected and very well liked in the southeast. This is a great hire. 

14 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Most people have never heard of Sentes, I sure hadn’t. That’s a problem. In today’s athletics you need success AND name recognition.

WOW! You must really live under a rock. Just an fyi to save you from this public humiliation in the future, Casey Cunningham also wrestled at Central Michigan. 

One of the most famous coaches that DID NOT WRESTLE but became a great college coach was Edward C. Gallagher from Oklahoma A & M aka Oklahoma State University. 

2 hours ago, LHU125 said:

Great coaches aren't always great world beater wrestlers. 

Good example here - Carl Poff from LHU. 

Nothing wrong with that example, great guy and coach but maybe a more to the current point example would be Tom Borelli- coach of Scotti Sentes at Central Michigan.

14 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Has a wrestler ever said they want to be the next Tony Robie?  Seems like Robie’s and Sentes’ wrestling credentials are pretty comparable.

I’m surprised they did it so quickly but I like the hire.  Shows they will promote from within and hopefully this prevents a lot of guys from transferring.

I agree.  It’s not like any of today’s wrestlers know who Tony Robie was as a wrestler.   It wasn’t like Campbell was a Top 10 program.  They will still compete well in the SoCon.  

Foolish mistake by Campbell. I submitted MY credentials and they received little consideration. I'd have pulled a Cael at Campbell, winning 8 of 9 NCAA titles..but they'd prefer to have somebody who knows how to "coach".

Pffft.

Congrats to coach Sentes.  Excellent.  I hope he keeps CU headed in the right direction.  The Borelli coaching tree just got another branch.

42 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Foolish mistake by Campbell. I submitted MY credentials and they received little consideration. I'd have pulled a Cael at Campbell, winning 8 of 9 NCAA titles..but they'd prefer to have somebody who knows how to "coach".

Pffft.

Heard they are still looking for a volunteer to clean the mats.  Given they've got your credentials and assuming you qualify, be expecting contact shortly.  ;)

33 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

It is so sad that  the sport of wrestling feels that only great wrestlers can become great coaches.  Is this the only such sport?

Look at football: Bill Belichick? Lou Holtz? Andy Reid?

Don't forget Mike Leach. Never played a down of football past HS, and I'm not even sure he was a starter in HS.

3 hours ago, TexRef said:

WOW! You must really live under a rock. Just an fyi to save you from this public humiliation in the future, Casey Cunningham also wrestled at Central Michigan. 

One of the most famous coaches that DID NOT WRESTLE but became a great college coach was Edward C. Gallagher from Oklahoma A & M aka Oklahoma State University. 

I believe Gallagher learned how to wrestle from a correspondence course.  Reminds me of Barney Fife learning Karate by correspondence course :D 

48 minutes ago, ionel said:

Heard they are still looking for a volunteer to clean the mats.  Given they've got your credentials and assuming you qualify, be expecting contact shortly.  ;)

I'd probably mop the mats with the same mopwater I used to mop the bathrooms!

20 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Ok just looked him up.

Assistant coach at Cal Poly, I should have known his name since they are the powerhouse of the West!

Two time all-American, ok I’m on board with that, 4th at 133 as a senior and 7th at 125 as a freshman. What happened in between?

Wrestled for Central Michigan in the MAC. Why is a 4 time FL state championing wrestling at a program that most people forget even had wrestling? Was he recruited by big time programs? Not a lot of success out of Florida high school phenoms, even those that win a watered down (Compared to the past) senior nationals title.

No wrestler ever said I want to be the next Scotti Sentes but I guarantee a lot of them said I want to be the next Cary Kolat.

His 7th place finish in 2009 was as a true freshman.  He bumped up to 133 in 2010 and finished 1-2, likely adjusting to the new weight.  In 2011, he finished 4th at 133 as a junior, not a senior.  As others have already pointed out he beat the likes of Tony Ramos, BJ Futtrell, and Tyler Graff that year.  It is my understanding that he had a bad back injury that required surgery and as a result he redshirted in 2012.  Finished round of 12 as a senior losing to Dardanes in OT.  Had it not been for the back surgery, he likely would have been right there battling for a top 3 finish his senior year.  All in all, his career is very similar to Mike Grey's who finished 6th twice, his freshman and senior seasons.  I doubt you would be making the same comments if Campbell had hired Grey.

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

It is so sad that  the sport of wrestling feels that only great wrestlers can become great coaches.  Is this the only such sport?

So true.  For every Gable, Sanderson, Smith Brands, Kolat there’s a Kevin Jackson, Kerry McCoy, Jim Zalesky....

While Scotty Sentes May not be Cary Kolat he could be Brian Smith, Pat Popolizo, Tom Ryan, Tony Ersland, Scott Goodale, J Robinson.

Hope he’s the latter and keeps Campbell on the upward trajectory!

On 3/27/2020 at 8:00 AM, Mokoma said:

That year at nationals he also had wins over Tyler Graff, BJ Futrell, Rollie Peterkin while only losing to Andrew Long (twice)

He placed ahead of those guys as well as Mike Grey, Devin Carter, and Lou Ruggirello.

He’s not exactly a nobody.

His college coach, Tom Borelli, has not only developed great wrestlers, but great coaches, most notably Casey Cunningham  at Penn State and his son Jason at Stanford....Scott may be a great hire.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:07 PM, HokieHWT said:

Most people have never heard of Sentes, I sure hadn’t. That’s a problem. In today’s athletics you need success AND name recognition.

Do most high school seniors even know the names of retired wrestlers?

Name recognition comes from having success.  Dented has the athletes.  He, presumably, was given the job because the athletes like him and feel he has been a big part of the programs success. If those athletes do well you will see more recruits going to Campbell.  

The head coach is more about the success of the program while the assistants tend to be more about their ability as competitors since they workout with the athletes.

i have a feeling a recruit is as likely to know Sentra as they are Pritzlaff or Hahn.  Dented wrestled more recently.  Recruits tend not to know history too much and few have followed the sport as closely since they were children to remember it happening like we do from watching it.  

Recruits get educated during the recruitment.  They learn about coaches when they are introduced to them.  

On 3/27/2020 at 11:52 AM, AHamilton said:

It’s interesting to me how little we see coaches move up the ranks.  

it seems to be more common for a coach to be hired to head a D1 program from high school coaching than from D2 or D3 programs.  

it is really interesting to me how coaches in a division seem to spend their whole careers as athletes and coaches in that division.  

On 3/27/2020 at 4:10 PM, moose41 said:

So true.  For every Gable, Sanderson, Smith Brands, Kolat there’s a Kevin Jackson, Kerry McCoy, Jim Zalesky....

While Scotty Sentes May not be Cary Kolat he could be Brian Smith, Pat Popolizo, Tom Ryan, Tony Ersland, Scott Goodale, J Robinson.

Hope he’s the latter and keeps Campbell on the upward trajectory!

Um, Zalasky and Brands have the same amount of titles as a head coach. Zalesky subsequently won PAC-12 titles as well. Brands won titles with a combined recruiting class then no more titles.

McCoy had 4 Top 20 NCAA finishes, won 3 ACC titles at Maryland and was 3 time ACC Coach of the Year.  McCoy also had prior success at Stanford.  The move to Big 10 was a killer for Maryland Wrestling.

Jackson's teams took 3rd, 11th, 11th at ISU. Jackson also coached some Olympic Champions. There was a reason Cael left for PSU.

These 3 were not exactly incompetent coaches.

Kolat would sign up for any of these coaching accomplishments right now. Talk about recency bias.

23 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

Um, Zalasky and Brands have the same amount of titles as a head coach. Zalesky subsequently won PAC-12 titles as well. Brands won titles with a combined recruiting class then no more titles.

McCoy had 4 Top 20 NCAA finishes, won 3 ACC titles at Maryland and was 3 time ACC Coach of the Year.  McCoy also had prior success at Stanford.  The move to Big 10 was a killer for Maryland Wrestling.

Jackson's teams took 3rd, 11th, 11th at ISU. Jackson also coached some Olympic Champions. There was a reason Cael left for PSU.

These 3 were not exactly incompetent coaches.

Kolat would sign up for any of these coaching accomplishments right now. Talk about recency bias.

They all lost their jobs because of that recent bias.   Iowa floundered under Zalesky, while successful at Stanford Maryland had no success under McCoy, Iowa State was on the downturn as well.

Im sure there fine coaches.  They lost their jobs because their programs were stagnant.  My point was their names and accolades weren’t bringing them current success.  The other coaches I spoke of built their programs without the name and hardware.  

Brands has been a top 4 coach since he’s been at Iowa and my opinion had he stayed at V-Tech they’d be a perennial Top 10 and bring home team trophies routinely.