Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Andrew Sparks of Calvary Chapel HS in CA?

Sparks won the 160 lbs weight class at the 2020 California State tournament and he defeated Cael Valencia 7-1 in the championship match.   Yet I don't see him listed anywhere as having committed to any college.   Valencia was ranked # 1 in the State of California before Sparks beat him 7-1.  Anyone know what his story is? 

Here's a link to a story on him:

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/02/orange-county-boys-athlete-of-the-week-andrew-sparks-calvary-chapel/

It seems to me this kid is worthy of a wrestling scholarship SOMEWHERE.

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

he's being heavily recruited by a bunch of really solid/good programs.

there is a moratorium on campus visits right so might be a minute before he announces. 

Yes, I am aware of that, however that does not stop schools from offering scholarships right now.   In the last week or so (as a Boise State grad and fan) I've seen roughly two dozen high school football players who Boise State has offered scholarships THIS WEEK.

Here is the best video I've found of "Sparkie's" 7-1 win over Cael Valencia in the 2020 California State championship match at 160 lbs.   I saw another video but if I referred to that other video as very poor that would be a compliment to it IMO.  It did have very nice shots of the floor and the ceiling tho.   I thought maybe Stanford was in charge of shooting that other video. (J/K).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Andrew+Sparks+wrestling+video&&view=detail&mid=931B49A9763CC8604713931B49A9763CC8604713&&FORM=VDRVRV

It appeared to me that Cael Valencia simply had no effective response to any of Sparks' attacks.  Sparks was very clearly the better wrestler.

5 hours ago, Bronco said:

Yes, I am aware of that, however that does not stop schools from offering scholarships right now.   In the last week or so (as a Boise State grad and fan) I've seen roughly two dozen high school football players who Boise State has offered scholarships THIS WEEK.

Per NCAA from an article about it on NBC - "During an NCAA "dead period" recruits cannot sign letters of intent, receive scholarships, take campus visits, and coaches likewise cannot visit recruits."

The only contact is phone and written to recruits - Those scholarships must have been offered before the dead period started.

Edited by Idaho

8 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

he's being heavily recruited by a bunch of really solid/good programs.

there is a moratorium on campus visits right so might be a minute before he announces. 

Yep - I am sure he is being called, texted, emailed, face timed by a lot of coaches. Probably good to have this recruiting dead time right now to get his thoughts together.  Turned around that loss the week before.

7 hours ago, Bronco said:

sure, schools can offer. but 1) he can't sign and 2) why would anyone commit (even verbally) without seeing campus? 

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

Looks like Arizona state and cal poly picked up recruits

I included Gioffre a few days ago in the thread I started here about the 13 Cal Poly recruits.  And he had also been listed on the Open Mat list of commits for Cal Poly for quite a while.

4 hours ago, Bronco said:

I included Gioffre a few days ago in the thread I started here about the 13 Cal Poly recruits.  And he had also been listed on the Open Mat list of commits for Cal Poly for quite a while.

Great....Lucas Cook hasn't.