MonagFam

Who Would Be In Your Mount Rushmore for College Wrestling

Curious what four individulas you believe past/present have shaped the wrestling world so much they could have their face on a Mt Rushmore for the sport?

Edited by MonagFam
Clarification

Like all of wrestling?  United States wrestling?  Folkstyle?  Freestyle?  I need some more parameters.

Since we're on the college board, I'll presume you meant that, and I'll go:

Dan Gable

Cael Sanderson

Kyle Dake

4th spot is tough....hmmmm....I feel like i'm missing somebody obvious.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Like all of wrestling?  United States wrestling?  Folkstyle?  Freestyle?  I need some more parameters.

Dan Gable

Cael Sanderson

Kyle Dake

Not sure how Gable, as a 2 time champ could be on anyone’s college Mount Rushmore.  I mean unless you’re counting coaching, in that case he’s on it for sure.

19 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Not sure how Gable, as a 2 time champ could be on anyone’s college Mount Rushmore.  I mean unless you’re counting coaching, in that case he’s on it for sure.

In the era before 4 timers Gable held a special spot because he went undefeated for the entirety of his HS career and NCAA career (except the match vs Owings).  He was a great wrestler and shut out all his opponents at the '72 Olympics as well, which no American had ever done and it was the first gold medal the USA had won in FS in a long time as well as I recall (can't remember how long). Plus if Gable had wrestled as a FR there is little doubt he'd have been an undefeated NCAA champ (which is why I put Gable more on a level with 3 time champs than 2 time champs).

26 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

In the era before 4 timers Gable held a special spot because he went undefeated for the entirety of his HS career and NCAA career (except the match vs Owings).  He was a great wrestler and shut out all his opponents at the '72 Olympics as well, which no American had ever done and it was the first gold medal the USA had won in FS in a long time as well as I recall (can't remember how long). Plus if Gable had wrestled as a FR there is little doubt he'd have been an undefeated NCAA champ (which is why I put Gable more on a level with 3 time champs than 2 time champs).

Yeah that’s great and all but there were numerous guys that actually went undefeated for 3 years before Gable.  Hodge, who was never even taken down in college and Uetake who also won Olympic gold in 1964 and 1968.  In 1972, we had 2 other gold medalists and 2 silver medalists so it’s not like Gable was the only guy seeing success.

As far as gifting him an undefeated national title as a freshman, he may have very well done so, but it’s more likely he was going to go undefeated as a senior and we all know how that worked out.

Edited by Mokoma
Corrected spelling for Uetake.

5 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Yeah that’s great and all but there were numerous guys that actually went undefeated for 3 years before Gable.  Hodge, who was never even taken down in college and Uetake who also won Olympic gold in 1964 and 1968.  In 1972, we had 2 other gold medalists and 2 silver medalists so it’s not like Gable was the only guy seeing success.

As far as gifting him an undefeated national title as a freshman, he may have very well done so, but it’s more likely he was going to go undefeated as a senior and we all know how that worked out.

That's why I'd put Dan Hodge on any American "Mount Rushmore" for wrestling before Gable. On the other hand Gable trained several world champs in addition to winning a **** ton of titles at Iowa.

As for Uetake, who was a better wrestler than Gable (btw): he's Japanese and as good as he was doesn't belong on Mount Rushmore. Mount Fuji, on the other hand.....

Just now, TobusRex said:

Who else? Got to be Dake.

Dake is a candidate, for sure.

But if we're truly finding the top four since 1928, you have to at least consider the undefeated 3x champs who competed before it was even possible to be a 4xer.

Just now, Katie said:

Dake is a candidate, for sure.

But if we're truly finding the top four since 1928, you have to at least consider the undefeated 3x champs who competed before it was even possible to be a 4xer.

Weird thing is, for a long time FR were allowed to participate at NCAAs, then they weren't allowed for decades! One must wonder what made the powers that be believe it was a good thing to make the boys ineligible for their FR year. Was it to help them acclimate to academics (the likely suspect), or was it for a competitive edge (denying incoming FR a chance to compete because it would change which team was at the top?).

For the record I have no idea, just stirring the pot, but knowing what buttholes people can be I wouldn't be overly shocked to find out my latter comment above was the actual reason.

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Weird thing is, for a long time FR were allowed to participate at NCAAs, then they weren't allowed for decades! One must wonder what made the powers that be believe it was a good thing to make the boys ineligible for their FR year. Was it to help them acclimate to academics (the likely suspect), or was it for a competitive edge (denying incoming FR a chance to compete because it would change which team was at the top?).

For the record I have no idea, just stirring the pot, but knowing what buttholes people can be I wouldn't be overly shocked to find out my latter comment above was the actual reason.

Are you like 12 years old?  Some of your descriptions are really...not right.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Dan Gable

Cael Sanderson

Kyle Dake

Pat Smith....first 4 timer?