Jump to content
MonagFam

Who Would Be In Your Mount Rushmore for College Wrestling

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I was responding to someone who was saying restricting to college since this is the college board.

If you are going just American college wrestlers, I'd imagine it would have:

1. Pat Smith

2. Carl

3. Gable (I think coaching accolades count!)

4. Dake

Sorry Steiber fans, consider him are 2 time champ :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Not sure how Gable, as a 2 time champ could be on anyone’s college Mount Rushmore.  I mean unless you’re counting coaching, in that case he’s on it for sure.

Well, the list is not exclusive to just his accomplishments as a competitor, is it now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Pat Smith....first 4 timer?

I thought about it, but for whatever reason, he hasn't really stood the test of time.  I debated Askren given the prevalence of "funk" these days and him being the biggest face in that shift in wrestling style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When discussing only college folkstyle results in the modern era (4 NCAA Championship opportunities), the most successful wrestlers were Kyle, Cael, Pat, and Logan (IMO in that order).  Kyle stands out for winning at four different weights without taking a redshirt season.  He won his first championship at 19 years and 26 days old.  He had 4 losses.  Cael was formally undefeated across two weight classes.  Against him is a redshirt season existence and a loss during it.  Logan won across two weight classes.  He also had 3 losses and took a redshirt season.  Pat was the first to win 4 titles and he won his first as a true freshmen aged 19 years, 6 months, and 3 days old!  Against him is 5 losses and redshirting in 1993 due OSU sanctions.  

Wrestler Distinct Count of College AA Count Sum of Place Best Place Worst Place Distinct Count of Weight Last Year First Year
Kyle Dake 1 4 4 1 1 4 2013 2010
Logan Stieber 1 4 4 1 1 2 2015 2012 (2011RS)
Cael Sanderson 1 4 4 1 1 2 2002 1999
Pat Smith 1 4 4 1 1 1 1994 1990

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

If you are going just American college wrestlers, I'd imagine it would have:

1. Pat Smith

2. Carl

3. Gable (I think coaching accolades count!)

4. Dake

Sorry Steiber fans, consider him are 2 time champ :D

How could you consider him a 2 time champ?  He clearly defeated Ramos even if you think Ramos should get 2 point back point 

 

And if you want to take a title away from stieber because JO took him down, then you better take one away from Yianni who was taken down by McKenna, take one away from Nolf who was taken down by Hidlay, and take the only one from Hall because B. Jordan was robbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Well, the list is not exclusive to just his accomplishments as a competitor, is it now?

I guess we would have to get another clarification from MonagFam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

How could you consider him a 2 time champ?  He clearly defeated Ramos even if you think Ramos should get 2 point back point 

 

And if you want to take a title away from stieber because JO took him down, then you better take one away from Yianni who was taken down by McKenna, take one away from Nolf who was taken down by Hidlay, and take the only one from Hall because B. Jordan was robbed.

Bo Jordan was robbed in a 5-2 loss?  Go on....tell me another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to ESPN coverage and my age, these four's folkstyle college success had the most impact on my wrestling appreciation.

  • Cael Sanderson - 4 years undefeated champion
  • Dan Gable - legendary coaching and athletic success with an undeniable work ethic
  • Ben Askren - dad bod wins with funk
  • Kyle Dake - the winner at 4 weights that repeatedly beat David Taylor

I didn't grow up learning about Yojiro Uetake, Mike Caruso, Gray Simons, etc.

Edited by jross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Bo Jordan was robbed in a 5-2 loss?  Go on....tell me 

No less than Ramos was robbed.  Even with back points he loses by 2.  Stieber won.  

Perhaps Jordan wasn't best examples. But mckenna and Hidlay were robbed but no one says anything.  According to rules at time McKenna's 2 on Yianni was clearer than Oliver's 2 on stieber at the time according to rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

No less than Ramos was robbed.  Even with back points he loses by 2.  Stieber won.  

Perhaps Jordan wasn't best examples. But mckenna and Hidlay were robbed but no one says anything.  According to rules at time McKenna's 2 on Yianni was clearer than Oliver's 2 on stieber at the time according to rules.

Hidlay was close but did not score a td. Furthermore had Hidlay been awarded the TD, Nolf would have likely found a way to score as there was plenty of time left in the match. 

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Hidlay was close but did not score a td. Furthermore had Hidlay been awarded the TD, Nolf would have likely found a way to score as there was plenty of time left in the match. 

I disagree.  Watching it live I thought it was a td. Slow motion replay on YouTube confirms it was a takedown. Plus Nolf himself thought it was a takedown. 

I do not see Nolf winning that at all if called fair.  Hidlay was focused.  I urge you to watch the slow motion on youtube before you respond 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shieldofpistis said:

I disagree.  Watching it live I thought it was a td. Slow motion replay on YouTube confirms it was a takedown. Plus Nolf himself thought it was a takedown. 

I do not see Nolf winning that at all if called fair.  Hidlay was focused.  I urge you to watch the slow motion on youtube before you respond 

I have and by the time Hidlay got around Nolf was up on his feet only, albiet crounched down. Furthermore Nolf absolutely would have scored if he ended that period trailing. If Hidlay was as focused as you said he would have scored more in the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I have and by the time Hidlay got around Nolf was up on his feet only, albiet crounched down. Furthermore Nolf absolutely would have scored if he ended that period trailing. If Hidlay was as focused as you said he would have scored more in the match.

Nolf is not that easy to score on lol. But hidlay took him down.  That's what my eyes saw. Your eyes saw something different.   That's ok. We don't have to agree. 

But do you seriously  only consider Stieber a 2 time champ even though he defeated Ramos by 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I guess we would have to get another clarification from MonagFam.

Not really, the original post laid out what he was looking for: "Curious what four individulas you believe past/present have shaped the wrestling world so much they could have their face on a Mt Rushmore for the sport?"

It doesn't say most accomplished wrestling career.  Nobody has "shaped the wrestling world" in the US anywhere close to as much as Dan Gable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Nolf is not that easy to score on lol. But hidlay took him down.  That's what my eyes saw. Your eyes saw something different.   That's ok. We don't have to agree. 

But do you seriously  only consider Stieber a 2 time champ even though he defeated Ramos by 3?

You're dragging me into a completely different argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

How could you consider him a 2 time champ?  He clearly defeated Ramos even if you think Ramos should get 2 point back point 

 

And if you want to take a title away from stieber because JO took him down, then you better take one away from Yianni who was taken down by McKenna, take one away from Nolf who was taken down by Hidlay, and take the only one from Hall because B. Jordan was robbed.

I think Tom Ryan was robbed too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

I seriously don't get on what grounds one thinks Ramos defeated Stieber when Stieber won by 3. 

I believe people think Ramos pinned Stieber but I could be wrong.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Not sure how Gable, as a 2 time champ could be on anyone’s college Mount Rushmore.  I mean unless you’re counting coaching, in that case he’s on it for sure.

Seriously?  Lost 1 match in the 3 years he was allowed to wrestle varsity, 118-1 with 2 titles.  Heck of a lot better wrestler than Pat Smith, who you had #1 (and who was 121-6).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Not sure how Gable, as a 2 time champ could be on anyone’s college Mount Rushmore.  I mean unless you’re counting coaching, in that case he’s on it for sure.

I could agree w Gable being one of the four, particularly if you include his collegiate coaching impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...