MonagFam

Who Would Be In Your Mount Rushmore for College Wrestling

13 hours ago, HoundedHawk said:

World champ is irrelevant. If you're going that route Gable was far more accomplished, winning world's and Olympic gold without surrendering a point.  There is no one on this planet that will say Stieber was a better international wrestler than Gable.  

He can't be on Mt. Rushmore because he lost 1 match?  By that standard throw Stieber away.  He lost 2 matches, and 5 more as a true freshman.  

Gable lost one folkstyle match in his entire life - the last match of his career.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:04 PM, Mokoma said:

3 guys who have won twice?  That’s a crazy list if it’s college only.

The question was who would I put on Mt. Rushmore. Longevity, and contribution to the sport, Olympic Worlds, International record should be considered, notice, Dake missed world teams, as did Taylor, Oliver's international accolades are not as good as my list, Brett Metcalf fell short post college. There are so many great wrestlers. Gable & Cael impacted the sport in dramatic ways, Burroughs and Smith international accolades are the best our country has produced, and yet, I haven't mentioned some of my favs like Dave Schultz, Kenny Monday, and many many more.

adding this, actually, I overlooked that this was exclusive to college.

Update:

Cael

Gable

Dake

I can think of 10 for the 4th spot.

Edited by skikayaker

On 3/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, iwrite said:

I've been writing about the sport in various ways for 50 years, including my first book in 1976 called "Two Guys Named Dan". You can probably guess who it was about. 

Wow, just wow!  The second hand price says a lot about the quality and rarity of the book.

image.png

Outside of library availability, I researched the usual book places and came up empty.  I was hoping to pick up a used copy for $20 or less.  Nope.  Even on ebay it is $60.  Well done sir!

Edited by jross

2 hours ago, jross said:

Wow, just wow!  The second hand price says a lot about the quality and rarity of the book.

image.png

Outside of library availability, I researched the usual book places and came up empty.  I was hoping to pick up a used copy for $20 or less.  Nope.  Even on ebay it is $60.  Well done sir!

Wow...think I'll hold on to mine. :)

jross:

Some people are asking outrageous prices for "Two Guys Named Dan", that's for sure. As an alternative, you might try my book "Legends of the Mat" as it has chapters on both Dans and also on Doug Blubaugh, Robin Reed,  Lee Kemp, John Smith, Bill Smith, Bruce Baumgartner, Mark & Dave Schultz, Ed & Lou Banach, Rulon Gardner and many others. It is much cheaper....34 legends in all. You can find it many places, including my web site -- www.mike-chapman.com

How about Chris Taylor? His record was great.

During his two-year career with the Cyclones, Taylor posted a record of 87-0-1. His 70 falls in 88 matches translates into a stunning 80 percent pinning mark.

41 minutes ago, Rookburger said:

The only Anatoly i’m familiar with is Karpov! Ha!

Hence your screen name? Anatoly is Sergei's twin. Generally wrestled the weight above. Anatoly won earlier but Sergei ended up winning more.

2 hours ago, Martini said:

How about Chris Taylor? His record was great.

During his two-year career with the Cyclones, Taylor posted a record of 87-0-1. His 70 falls in 88 matches translates into a stunning 80 percent pinning mark.

I didn't like the 285 limit rule change at first as it excluded guys who were real heavy and wrestling was supposed to be a sport that was all inclusive. But I came around to the idea of parity as being more important, especially when it comes to demonstrating ability as opposed to being a human Maginot Line. Can't say for sure, but Taylor at 285 wouldn't have resulted in 87-0-1 and 70 falls.

Edited by Cooch1
spelling

6 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Hence your screen name? Anatoly is Sergei's twin. Generally wrestled the weight above. Anatoly won earlier but Sergei ended up winning more.

You got that mixed up..Anatoli wrestled lighter than Sergei.