Marcus Cisero

Biggest NCAA Wrestling Final Upsets

I know there are many but please only list one (1) - and if you could locate a video and share it with us that would be great too.

For me, a more recent finals upset that immediately comes to mind is  #3 Vincenzo Joseph's pin over 2x champ #1 Isaiah Martinez during the 2017 NCAA Championships…. ps….Nolf’s reaction at the end was priceless!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

31 minutes ago, idc2 said:

2002 - Rob Rohn vs. Josh Lambrecht. I don't think it was a big upset before the match started, but Lambrecht was up by 10+ and well, he didn't win....

Yeah, it depends on definition of the word upset. Rob won in the dual earlier, 4-2. However, by seeding was a slight one 6 v 8. 

5 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I was waiting for someone to post that match. Thanks!

that match reminds me of Gable vs. Owings.   I know both Brent and Darion....a match that shocked the "wrestling world".  Fadz

1 hour ago, headshuck said:

Is it true Bubba owned skinny Taylor in the PSU practice room?

Yes particularly the year before when Taylor was in redshirt.  Taylor had like 3-4 guys that were tossing him around like rag dolls including Cyler Sanderson.

20 hours ago, GockeS said:

how is a senior pinning a freshman an upset?

The freshman was undefeated and was being touted as the next Cael Sanderson. Also, the guy that beat that freshman was ran out of school because the freshman was supposed to be better than him. 

1 hour ago, CoachWrestling said:

The freshman was undefeated and was being touted as the next Cael Sanderson. Also, the guy that beat that freshman was ran out of school because the freshman was supposed to be better than him. 

According to who?  Everyone knew at the time Bubba, Cyler and Molinaro all destroyed Taylor.  Bubba wanted to go 157, but Cael wanted him at 149, so Cyler then Taylor could start at 157.  

This was not an upset at all, and was the expected result by anyone that was paying attention.  Sure, if you look at future results it seems like a guy with 3 career losses and finishes of 2-1-2-1 and a world championship would beat a that was 2X all American (albeit 2 finals appearance with the win over Taylor).