Marcus Cisero

Biggest NCAA Wrestling Final Upsets

27 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I mean, top-seeded undefeated freshman losing to a guy who had an in-season loss to Tyler Chang of NAIA Embry-Riddle.

It was an upset to almost everyone.

Sorry Jason usually I agree with you.  But this is just flat out wrong in numerous ways.  

Factually it’s wrong because Taylor was 3rd seed not top seed.  Then, get real, everyone knew Bubba and the rest of the PSU team was destroying Taylor.  

Sorry Jason usually I agree with you.  But this is just flat out wrong in numerous ways.  

Factually it’s wrong because Taylor was 3rd seed not top seed.  Then, get real, everyone knew Bubba and the rest of the PSU team was destroying Taylor.  

Yup. I blanked on the seed. Hall and Fittery were also unbeaten.

They (Cyler, etc) were beating DT as a true freshman. Big difference. Even I was surprised when Bubba won and I’ve known Bubba since he was in the sixth grade.

I honesty believe the majority of wresting fans consider Bubba pinning Taylor in that match, an upset. It’s more of a matter of opinion. Bubba went to what was perceived as a party school with fewer quality workout partners and had head-scratching performances during the season. He also majored Hall at the All-Star in a bout that didn’t count one week after losing to Chang. He was a wild card that year.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:47 PM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I agree with Tommy - it's a close call, but this may well be the biggest...

"Taylor is too talented to have no fight in that cradle.  Makes me sick."

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

They (Cyler, etc) were beating DT as a true freshman. Big difference. Even I was surprised when Bubba won and I’ve known Bubba since he was in the sixth grade.

I honesty believe the majority of wresting fans consider Bubba pinning Taylor in that match, an upset. It’s more of a matter of opinion. Bubba went to what was perceived as a party school with fewer quality workout partners and had head-scratching performances during the season. He also majored Hall at the All-Star in a bout that didn’t count one week after losing to Chang. He was a wild card that year.

Being that he was a previous national finalist with clear data of destroying Taylor the year before most people thought his major of Hall was more representative of his skill level than his loss to Chang.  

I’m not saying that a bunch of PSU homers didn’t think Taylor would win, but most fans of wrestling knew Bubba was much better at that point.

38 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

"Taylor is too talented to have no fight in that cradle.  Makes me sick."

He knew it was over as soon as it was locked.  That was probably the 200th time Bubba pinned Taylor like that.

3 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

The freshman was undefeated and was being touted as the next Cael Sanderson. Also, the guy that beat that freshman was ran out of school because the freshman was supposed to be better than him. 

This right here. Everyone watching the broadcast at the time probably remembers all of the hype. Taylor was Cael's golden boy (deservedly so) and Bubba came to ruin the party. 

12 minutes ago, backpack said:

This right here. Everyone watching the broadcast at the time probably remembers all of the hype. Taylor was Cael's golden boy (deservedly so) and Bubba came to ruin the party. 

This isn’t how it happened tho.  Bubba wanted 157, Cael wanted him at 149 for the team.  There was a lot of hype sure, but it wasn’t in the “can’t wait for Taylor to destroy the punk who transferred” instead of being a part of a championship team.

Bubba got a raw deal when Cael brought in 2 guys he wanted to man 157.  Bubba was the best of 3 by far during that time and it wasn’t close.  Ask anyone close to the team back then.

3 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

This isn’t how it happened tho.  Bubba wanted 157, Cael wanted him at 149 for the team.  There was a lot of hype sure, but it wasn’t in the “can’t wait for Taylor to destroy the punk who transferred” instead of being a part of a championship team.

Bubba got a raw deal when Cael brought in 2 guys he wanted to man 157.  Bubba was the best of 3 by far during that time and it wasn’t close.  Ask anyone close to the team back then.

Also I’m not calling Bubba a punk at all.  I think Bubba got the raw deal and was happy for him to end his career with a championship.

Everyone knew that Carl did Bubba Jenkins real dirty and Bubba had the last word, and the crowd let him know whose side they were on. Definitely a top-10 NCAAs moment in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

It's 3 to people to 1 on this one. Admit you're wrong

4 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Guess that’s a hit on how tough 2008 149 was if you thought a true freshman that was 4th string on his own team the year before was going to win against the runner up in the all time greatest bracket according to this board.

1 hour ago, CoachWrestling said:

It's 3 to people to 1 on this one. Admit you're wrong

Absolutely not.  If you watched them practice or talked to any PSU wrestlers you would know this wasn’t an upset at all.  Bubba, Cyler, Frank etc all pinned him hundreds of times.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Absolutely not.  If you watched them practice or talked to any PSU wrestlers you would know this wasn’t an upset at all.  Bubba, Cyler, Frank etc all pinned him hundreds of times.

He clearly was leaps and bound better than his true freshman year. 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, jross said:

Having seen this again I am reminded of several things.

Gable was gassed.

The non wrestling announcer was a moron.  He called the headgear a helmet, was overboard about Gable not being "offensive" when crawling out of bounds from bottom.  And probably couldn't tell the difference between the neutral position from a pin. 

I forgot about the stalling call on Gable, which was a point.

Owings was just as long on his back when Gable was riding, earlier on, but no points awarded.  

Terry Brands later repeated his mentor's mistake in the semis of the Olympics as when Gable didn't bail to his stomach.  

Owings was very good at when he got into the armpit of Gable when clamping like we now see Desanto do.  Desanto also spins on that arm like Owings did.  Desanto did beat Lee in the final high school match to keep him undefeated.  I wonder if that match became his teacher.  

12 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I agree. I remember coming to this very board immediately after Bubba pinned Taylor and this thing lit up like a Christmas tree! Everybody, and I mean everybody at the time, was shocked.

We all knew the history well. DT was easily favored and some expected him to be a 4x unbeaten. At the same time, I don't think a close win either way would have been a huge shocker - but the pin was completely and totally unexpected. (If DT was getting pinned at practice, nobody was talking about it here.)

That's just the way it was. It was a monster upset at the time. It's revisionist history if anybody thinks otherwise looking at it from today's perspective.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

I've been to most of the tournaments in the last 15 years, and I would have to put Metcalf/Caldwell ahead of Jenkins/Taylor for biggest finals upsets.

Metcalf had already proven that he was an absolute stud, and Caldwell just went out there with nothing to lose and guns-a-blazing. It's unfortunate how that match ended--on both fronts--as it puts a bit of a tarnish on the match. 

16 hours ago, Mokoma said:

I like your determination.  You surely would have gotten out of Bubba's cradle with as much effort as you're using to convince yourself and the others of this idea.