Bronco

Status of 2020 California wrestling state champions

106 lbs - Andre Gonzales - Poway H.S. - 2020 Junior - Uncommitted

113 lbs - Richard Figueroa - Selma H.S. - 2020 Junior - Arizona State verbal commit

120 lbs - Tristan Lujan - Selma H.S. - 2020 Senior - Michigan State verbal commit

126 lbs - Maximo Renteria - Buchanan H.S. - 2020 Junior - Illinois verbal commit

132 lbs - Aaron Nagoa - Esperanza H.S. - 2020 Senior - Minnesota verbal commit

138 lbs - Alex Ramirez - Rowland H.S. - 2020 Junior - Uncommitted

145 lbs - Jesse Vasquez - Excelsior Charter H.S. - 2020 Senior - Uncommitted (4 time CA State champion)

152 lbs - Chase Saldate - Gilroy H.S. - 2020 Senior) - Michigan State signee

160 lbs - Andrew Sparks - Calvary Chapel H.S. - 2020 Senior - Uncommitted

170 lbs - Giano Petrucelli - Clovis H.S. - 2020 Senior - Air Force signee

182 lbs - Nathan Haas - St. John Bosco H.S. - 2020 Senior - Nebraska signee

195 lbs - Guillermo Escobedo - Los Altos H.S. - 2020 Senior - Wyoming verbal

220 lbs - Brandon Leon - Roosevelt H.S. - 2020 Senior - Uncommitted

285 lbs - Josiah Hall - Bakersfield H.S. - 2020 Senior - Little Rock verbal commit

2 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

wow. how can it be that a 4x CA state champ (145lbr) has yet to commit, even verbal.

According to one website Vasquez is SAID to have committed to Ohio State but that same website also mentioned that there is nothing which verifies that to be accurate.  I'm thinking it's likely wishful thinking on the part of an Ohio State fan.

23 minutes ago, Bronco said:

According to one website Vasquez is SAID to have committed to Ohio State but that same website also mentioned that there is nothing which verifies that to be accurate.  I'm thinking it's likely wishful thinking on the part of an Ohio State fan.

One could imagine the number of phone calls and visits he's had with prospective college coach's.  

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

There was a while ago when he posted a picture of himself in Ohio State singlet like a commitment photo and everyone thought he had committed. He later clarified that he was just showing his offers.

1 hour ago, PinFallRecruit said:

There was a while ago when he posted a picture of himself in Ohio State singlet like a commitment photo and everyone thought he had committed. He later clarified that he was just showing his offers.

Yeah, that sounds right.  Thanks for YOUR clarification on this.

3 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

One could imagine the number of phone calls and visits he's had with prospective college coach's.  

I'm sure he has lots of schools offering him a full ride scholarship. 

Personally I'd like to see him sign with Arizona State as he could very well be their starter next season at 149 lbs.  As that's a real area of need as far as I can tell for ASU for 2021.   Maybe they could sign both Vasquez and Sparks and fill both of their "need" weight classes for next season.

Edited by Bronco
add on

58 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I'm sure he has lots of schools offering him a full ride scholarship. 

Personally I'd like to see him sign with Arizona State as he could very well be their starter next season at 149 lbs.  As that's a real area of need as far as I can tell for ASU for 2021.   Maybe they could sign both Vasquez and Sparks and fill both of their "need" weight classes for next season.

Yes please........fill the black hole. 

17 hours ago, Gantry said:

Wow, great job by Little Rock getting a CA state champ at HWT.  That is not an easy weight to recruit, especially for a young program. 

And Josiah Hall won the 2020 CA State heavyweight championship in dominating fashion - by pinning Nicholas Villarreal in 2:38.

It's especially good for Little Rock as they were without a heavyweight for most of last season and had to forfeit repeatedly at 285 lbs.

4 hours ago, Bronco said:

And Josiah Hall won the 2020 CA State heavyweight championship in dominating fashion - by pinning Nicholas Villarreal in 2:38.

It's especially good for Little Rock as they were without a heavyweight for most of last season and had to forfeit repeatedly at 285 lbs.

Josiah Hall is damn good

41 minutes ago, Gantry said:

That is a little strange, why hasn't a senior signed by now? 

Based on what I've seen lately as far as commitments for 2020 there are a LOT of wrestlers who have committed but have not YET signed on the dotted line.  It's not that strange IMO.

51 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

Makes you nervous when it is just a verbal though.

Especially since the guy hasn't visited (presumably). If you've never been to Arkansas let me tell you a little about it: it sucks. It's a regressive, ass-backwards state filled to the brim with ignorant hillbillies. That's not to mention the academics at Arkansas-Little Rock are probably pretty crappy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the Arkies to make it in D1, but don't be surprised if the kid gets off the plane, looks around and says "ugh....well, I can still go somewhere else"...

12 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Based on what I've seen lately as far as commitments for 2020 there are a LOT of wrestlers who have committed but have not YET signed on the dotted line.  It's not that strange IMO.

Especially when one considers that maybe some of those guys have academic issues or maybe just HEW. 

21 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Especially since the guy hasn't visited (presumably). If you've never been to Arkansas let me tell you a little about it: it sucks. It's a regressive, ass-backwards state filled to the brim with ignorant hillbillies. That's not to mention the academics at Arkansas-Little Rock are probably pretty crappy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the Arkies to make it in D1, but don't be surprised if the kid gets off the plane, looks around and says "ugh....well, I can still go somewhere else"...

Little Rock is like Austin... it's a weird oasis that goes against the rest of the state and was a heck of a surprise the first time I went. Downright fantastic food that isn't just fried crap, plenty of active lifestyle options, decent night scene compared to contemporaries like Omaha etc., and active local government leadership. Fun bonus - the mayor of LR actually shut down the city 4 days after NYC and 1 day before Chicago.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

not that your judgmental or anything. 

1 hour ago, OR said:

Wonder if Chris Pendleton now being at Oregon State will impact any of these unsigned or verbal commits?

I am going to say yes - This is because he was most likely already in touch with these kids- IMO