2 hours ago, IronChef said:

This is such a weird take. Are you saying the hands were not locked or that the referee should ignore locked hands?

I wasn’t saying either of those things.  I was trying to remember the situation and while watching it, since it was not very recent.  I remember thinking it shouldn’t have been called, but was trying to connect what Brown was doing and if I remembered it being intentional.  So my “weird” take was just due to a foggy memory and hadn’t gone back and watched it.  

just went back and watched and I can see Brown drop to a knee and looked intentional.  Wish the match hadn’t ended that way, great match before that and both deserved a better ending.

Edited by Schuteandscore

4 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Bad choice, he has no chance.

Rumor is that dude gets pinned hundreds of times in the practice room by a bunch of different guys and by his unicorn, too.

Not anymore bud that was almost 10 years ago.  He’s got it now.  

On 3/30/2020 at 7:45 AM, Schuteandscore said:

just went back and watched and I can see Brown drop to a knee and looked intentional.  Wish the match hadn’t ended that way, great match before that and both deserved a better ending.

Brown was sitting out and Wilps pulled him back in because he was locking hands. Was Brown trying to intentionally get out and score? Yes. Did he intentionally drop to a knee to cause the locking hands call? No.

When asked by a VERY well known member of the wrestling community, years ago, if I thought Taylor could beat Dake. My answer at the time was........ "not until he gets much stronger. He is much stronger.

3 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Brown was sitting out and Wilps pulled him back in because he was locking hands. Was Brown trying to intentionally get out and score? Yes. Did he intentionally drop to a knee to cause the locking hands call? No.

It sucked that it ended that way. But as I said at the time........... What I call Mr. Brown is............. National Champion. As a ref you can't pick and choose which rules to follow. Although they sure do decide NOT to call stalling, even when it is so apparent to everyone watching.

6 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

He 100% dropped, grabbed both of Wilps' hands, pulled them together and looked to the ref for a point. 

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

He 100% dropped, grabbed both of Wilps' hands, pulled them together and looked to the ref for a point. 

Yea ok

Mysterious how at 14:20 Brown is able to force Wilps' hands together BEFORE ever grabbing his wrists! Maybe he should be the one called Magic Man...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

59 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yea ok

Mysterious how at 14:20 Brown is able to force Wilps' hands together BEFORE ever grabbing his wrists! Maybe he should be the one called Magic Man...

No such thing as magic.  That is a simple shell game.  Go to 13:49 where the angle is better.  Immediate release when Brown's knee touches and then Brown forces his hands together.

2 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Bad choice, he has no chance.

Rumor is that dude gets pinned hundreds of times in the practice room by a bunch of different guys and by his unicorn, too.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Not anymore bud that was almost 10 years ago.  He’s got it now.  

Hey 'Bud', let's check the math quick. What we have here is the 2015 NCAA's, and the 'rumor' was from the 2011 NCAA's.

So lessseee, 2015 - 2011, carry the two cross the tees and dot the eyes and we don't get 10 years, we get 4 years

In that case, good call. With that kind of improvement, no way Dake beats him ever again!  :-)

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

No such thing as magic.  That is a simple shell game.  Go to 13:49 where the angle is better.  Immediate release when Brown's knee touches and then Brown forces his hands together.

He forces his hands together after they locked.... and with one hand... Yea ok. Weak.

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Hey 'Bud', let's check the math quick. What we have here is the 2015 NCAA's, and the 'rumor' was from the 2011 NCAA's.

So lessseee, 2015 - 2011, carry the two cross the tees and dot the eyes and we don't get 10 years, we get 4 years

In that case, good call. With that kind of improvement, no way Dake beats him ever again!  :-)

Okay let’s do this math.  David Taylor’s first year in the PSU room was 2009-2010.  It’s now 2020.  I might need a calculator for this one but it’s been 10 years since Cyler and crew were tossing DT around like a rag doll.

Good try though.

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot.  Neither Dake nor Taylor were in college during the 2015 NCAA, so there is that.

15 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I said “looked intentional,” but obviously I and anyone other than Brown doesn’t really know.  You sound 100% sure, which just isn’t possible.

33 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

I said “looked intentional,” but obviously I and anyone other than Brown doesn’t really know.  You sound 100% sure, which just isn’t possible.

Well im saying it doesnt "look" like Brown forced Wilps hands together. Plasmodium is the one thats 100% sure he did. 

If we're going off how things "looked" people will see what they want to see. Bottom line is Wilps did lock hands while Brown was trying to escape. Brown wrestled to the whistle which is what we're all taught to do as wrestlers. Should he have just cruised out the last 3-4 second and be content to try and win it in OT? 

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Well im saying it doesnt "look" like Brown forced Wilps hands together. Plasmodium is the one thats 100% sure he did. 

If we're going off how things "looked" people will see what they want to see. Bottom line is Wilps did lock hands while Brown was trying to escape. Brown wrestled to the whistle which is what we're all taught to do as wrestlers. Should he have just cruised out the last 3-4 second and be content to try and win it in OT? 

Nope.  I don’t think he should have cruised out the last 3-4 seconds.  He should have wrestled out the 3-4 seconds and attempted to earn an escape, not spend that time pointing to his hands, telling the ref what call to make.  The ref needed to make that call.  Are you in favor of wrestlers telling the officials how to officiate?  If the locked hands is there, it’s there and if the ref misses that call, he misses.  I know you or Brown may not agree, and he is of course a national champion, but I would have enjoyed winning the title with a last second escape, or yes the takedown on your feet, rather on a locked hands call.  I don’t know, I guess it’s the “wrestler” in me, but to each his own.

37 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

Nope.  I don’t think he should have cruised out the last 3-4 seconds.  He should have wrestled out the 3-4 seconds and attempted to earn an escape, not spend that time pointing to his hands, telling the ref what call to make.  The ref needed to make that call.  Are you in favor of wrestlers telling the officials how to officiate?  If the locked hands is there, it’s there and if the ref misses that call, he misses.  I know you or Brown may not agree, and he is of course a national champion, but I would have enjoyed winning the title with a last second escape, or yes the takedown on your feet, rather on a locked hands call.  I don’t know, I guess it’s the “wrestler” in me, but to each his own.

It looked me to like he was trying to escape, otherwise Wilps wouldnt have locked hands to hold Brown down. Brown stood up, Wilps brought him down and Brown attempted a sit out in which Wilps locked hands. 

As for a wrestler telling the ref his oppenent is locking hands, you mean to tell me if your opponent was locking hands or doing an illegal move on you as a wrestler you wouldnt say something to the ref? Furthermore EVERYONE tells refs how to officiate. How many discussions are on these boards discussing how refs should officate matches. Wrestler A should have been hit for stalling, Wrestler B should have been awarded nearfall, etc etc.  

Wilps WAS locking hands hence why in the end the ref made the final called.

Your "wrestler in me" and "if he misses it.. he misses it" comment is such a bunch of virtue signaling and posturing.

Brown didnt looked too pleased with how he won, but you nor anyone else would reject taking the win either.

23 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

It looked me to like he was trying to escape, otherwise Wilps wouldnt have locked hands to hold Brown down. Brown stood up, Wilps brought him down and Brown attempted a sit out in which Wilps locked hands. 

As for a wrestler telling the ref his oppenent is locking hands, you mean to tell me if your opponent was locking hands or doing an illegal move on you as a wrestler you wouldnt say something to the ref? Furthermore EVERYONE tells refs how to officiate. How many discussions are on these boards discussing how refs should officate matches. Wrestler A should have been hit for stalling, Wrestler B should have been awarded nearfall, etc etc.  

Your "wrestler in me" and "if he misses it.. he misses it" comment is such a bunch of virtue signaling and posturing.

Brown didnt looked too pleased with how he won, but you nor anyone else would reject taking the win either.

Which is what I said, he’s a national champ.  The only one here posturing here is you.  I have an opinion, and I am entitled to it.  I am still happy for him for the accomplishment but I am not telling you you’re wrong or attacking you, just made an observation.  You on the other hand are hard in your stance of telling someone they are wrong, when in reality, you know no better than I or anyone else.  

29 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

And to add, I wrestled hundreds of matches, and through college, and no, I never stopped wrestling and told the ref a guy was locking hands, honestly. Then again, honestly, I never won a national title.

Edited by Schuteandscore

Just now, Schuteandscore said:

And to add, I wrestled hundreds of matches, and through college, and no, I never stopped wrestling and told the ref a guy was locking hands, honestly.

I dont have the time nor energy to search through your posting history, but are you telling me you have NEVER made a single post or comment on how a ref should officiate matches? Your whole "if he misses it.. he misses it" is hog wash.

7 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I dont have the time nor energy to search through your posting history, but are you telling me you have NEVER made a single post or comment on how a ref should officiate matches? Your whole "if he misses it.. he misses it" is hog wash.

Again, you have that opinion which is fine. Most of what I have posted if at all on the topic is that we need to find a way to remove subjectivity so it is more clear.  I also officiated for 4 years and would admit, I missed calls.

16 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

And FYI, I edited my comment to add that I never won a national title either.

1 minute ago, Schuteandscore said:

Again, you have that opinion which is fine. Most of what I have posted if at all on the topic is that we need to find a way to remove subjectivity so it is more clear.  I also officiated for 4 years and would admit, I missed calls.

So inconclusion

The video evidence of Wipps locking his hand removes subjectivity on the matter.

Whether Brown did it on purpose is a subjective matter so that needs to be removed as well.