Jump to content
shieldofpistis

Other countries vs. Folk style

Recommended Posts

What other countries are well equipped to find success in American folk style? In mma I have noticed us college all Americans get the better of European nation team members. Of course this is not always the case.  What other countries give as much attention to the ground game?

Edited by shieldofpistis
Clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably need to readjust your question to “American Collegiate/Scholastic” than simply the term folkstyle when using the other country variable. Most wrestling nations have their own traditional folk style of wrestling.

 

I’m sure you can find plenty of Russians who are adept at sambo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

You probably need to readjust your question to “American Collegiate/Scholastic” than simply the term folkstyle when using the other country variable. Most wrestling nations have their own traditional folk style of wrestling.

 

I’m sure you can find plenty of Russians who are adept at sambo.

Do guys like the Russian tank have sambo background?  Do you think bo nickel would have better chance vs. Russian tank in American scholastic style?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:


Probably a lost cause to try to explain that folkstyle isn’t only one style of wrestling.

Not with me it isn't.  I get what you were saying.  I just was having difficulty following the wording the way it was, was all I was saying.  If you add 'for example' after 'India' then that fixes eeeeverythang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Y

Do guys like the Russian tank have sambo background?  Do you think bo nickel would have better chance vs. Russian tank in American scholastic style?

How is Nickal going to do better if the only chance at a point he has is riding time.

Even if he gets that, there isn't any way he is turning Sadulaev.  Guy is too strong, even with minimal training.

So at best you're looking at a match that Sadulaev wins, many takedowns to zero, with the only points being scored by Bo being riding time(possibly) and escapes.  You're looking at a 8-3, 9-4 type match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there competitive countries that have a national folkstyle that is much more popular than Freestyle?

Are there countries that all of the top Junior wrestlers focus on their national folkstyle and then switch to Freestyle for their international careers like the US does?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Not with me it isn't.  I get what you were saying.  I just was having difficulty following the wording the way it was, was all I was saying.  If you add 'for example' after 'India' then that fixes eeeeverythang.

Some people are taking this home schooling thing to the teeth...

Just busting your chops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

How is Nickal going to do better if the only chance at a point he has is riding time.

Even if he gets that, there isn't any way he is turning Sadulaev.  Guy is too strong, even with minimal training.

So at best you're looking at a match that Sadulaev wins, many takedowns to zero, with the only points being scored by Bo being riding time(possibly) and escapes.  You're looking at a 8-3, 9-4 type match.

Nickal would tech Sadulaev in folkstyle. He'd tilt him to death. And if he couldn't Sadulaev would get DQed for stalling out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Nickal would tech Sadulaev in folkstyle. He'd tilt him to death. And if he couldn't Sadulaev would get DQed for stalling out. 

Sadulaev getting tilted by Nickal? No. Good luck with that. Wouldn't happen. Only chance Nickal would have is a throw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bo is very good, Sads is Mo-betta.  He is probably quite a bit better than Cael on his best day.  I realize Bo would have an advantage on riding and possibly the stalling conceptually, but I think Sadulaev is comparable to Belaglasov or even Satiev by the end of his career.  Snyder could be on his 5th world title if Sads hadn't come along.  I love Bo, but we are kind of comparing a 22 to a 50 cal.

I realize Bo's record is worse for wrestling up a weight, but his Senior Freestyle record is 18-6...Tank 123-2

 

 

Edited by Peso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Nickal has 15 more years of experience in folkstyle, it's clear who would win, and Nickal would win handily. 

Historically, when high-level foreign wrestlers have come to the U.S. for highed education and to wrestle, what your statement purports is not the case. Those dudes, who more recently are usually not yet the best Freestylers in their own countries when they arrive here, step right in to being the best in U.S. collegiate wrestling, even with little understanding or training in mat wrestling.

Sadulaev just might be the best of this generation of wrestlers from across the globe. To suggest that he would lose "handily" to any guy, even in another style that is not so drastically different than what he currently reigns in, is pretty absurd. I think you severely underestimate the type of competitor Abdulrashid Sadulaev is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tofurky said:

Those dudes, who more recently are usually not yet the best Freestylers in their own countries when they arrive here, step right in to being the best in U.S. collegiate wrestling, even with little understanding or training in mat wrestling.

Examples of some of these recent dudes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 11:08 PM, Peso said:

Bo is very good, Sads is Mo-betta.  He is probably quite a bit better than Cael on his best day.  I realize Bo would have an advantage on riding and possibly the stalling conceptually, but I think Sadulaev is comparable to Belaglasov or even Satiev by the end of his career.  Snyder could be on his 5th world title if Sads hadn't come along.  I love Bo, but we are kind of comparing a 22 to a 50 cal.

I realize Bo's record is worse for wrestling up a weight, but his Senior Freestyle record is 18-6...Tank 123-2

 

 

Understanding that Snyder lost to Sharifov before advancing to Sadulaev in 2019, crediting Sadulaev with both of Snyder 's failed attempts at world gold since 2015 feels like a reach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

Examples of some of these recent dudes?

Here are some of the higher level guys you may or may not have heard of during the last 25 years or so:

Sonny Abe - Penn State/Japan

Muzaffar Abdurakhmonov - American U./Uzbekistan

Bekzod Abdurakhmonov - Clarion/Uzbekistan

Alan Gelogaev - Oklahoma State/Russia

Amar Dhesi - Oregon State/Canada

To a lesser extent, given that they came to the U.S. while in high school: The Novachkov brothers (Cal Poly/Bulgaria); the Heino brothers from Campbell/Finland; Heinrich Barnes from Oregon State/South Africa; though I do not believe he ever wrestled in college (maybe I am wrong), Khetag Pliev (Russia/Ohio/Canada); Jesus Wilson (D2 Upper Iowa/Cuba) defected to the U.S. in 1994 after placing at Worlds, losing to Terry Brands in the semifinals; some Belarussian guys in the mid- to late-'90s also defected, but were too old for D1, I believe.

I am certain there are a few more guys I am missing, but that's a start.

Wrestling in other countries can be a profession. Depending on how good you are, it come with education, money, and possible fame. Most high-level guys stay where they are for those reasons and much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 8:34 AM, sidakova4991 said:

What Europeans that were a part of some wrestling national teams compete in MMA?  

I hope you're not referring to the legendary Freestyle team of the UK.....  

Romero of Cuba is not European, but he did wrestle freestyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tofurky said:

Here are some of the higher level guys you may or may not have heard of during the last 25 years or so:

Sonny Abe - Penn State/Japan

Muzaffar Abdurakhmonov - American U./Uzbekistan

Bekzod Abdurakhmonov - Clarion/Uzbekistan

Alan Gelogaev - Oklahoma State/Russia

Amar Dhesi - Oregon State/Canada

To a lesser extent, given that they came to the U.S. while in high school: The Novachkov brothers (Cal Poly/Bulgaria); the Heino brothers from Campbell/Finland; Heinrich Barnes from Oregon State/South Africa; though I do not believe he ever wrestled in college (maybe I am wrong), Khetag Pliev (Russia/Ohio/Canada); Jesus Wilson (D2 Upper Iowa/Cuba) defected to the U.S. in 1994 after placing at Worlds, losing to Terry Brands in the semifinals; some Belarussian guys in the mid- to late-'90s also defected, but were too old for D1, I believe.

I am certain there are a few more guys I am missing, but that's a start.

Wrestling in other countries can be a profession. Depending on how good you are, it come with education, money, and possible fame. Most high-level guys stay where they are for those reasons and much more.

Other than Abe, did anyone win an NCAA title?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but that's not the point. With the exception of maybe Dhesi, these guys were among the best in their respective countries, but not the best at their weight classes. They came here and showed right off the bat that they were among the best at this form of the sport held so dear by so many in this country.

Another poster is suggesting that, arguably, the best wrestler on the planet in this generation is going to get wrecked in American folk is, in my opinion, ignorant at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...