shieldofpistis

Other countries vs. Folk style

12 hours ago, Tofurky said:

No, but that's not the point. With the exception of maybe Dhesi, these guys were among the best in their respective countries, but not the best at their weight classes. They came here and showed right off the bat that they were among the best at this form of the sport held so dear by so many in this country.

Another poster is suggesting that, arguably, the best wrestler on the planet in this generation is going to get wrecked in American folk is, in my opinion, ignorant at best.

mmmm.... I dunno.  You did say "when they arrive here, step right in to being the best in U.S. collegiate wrestling, even with little understanding or training in mat wrestling."  Nobody on your list was able to do that.  

As for the second part, I completely agree- silly.

Edited by LifeintheRed

23 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

Understanding that Snyder lost to Sharifov before advancing to Sadulaev in 2019, crediting Sadulaev with both of Snyder 's failed attempts at world gold since 2015 feels like a reach.

You are correct.  I should have said could be going for his 5th in Tokyo.  There is some doubt of course if he makes it there.

4 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

mmmm.... I dunno.  You did say "when they arrive here, step right in to being the best in U.S. collegiate wrestling, even with little understanding or training in mat wrestling."  Nobody on your list was able to do that.  

As for the second part, I completely agree- silly.

Yes, I see that I did state that and I was wrong. I corrected myself in the statement to which I am quoting you above when I said, "... among the best..." which is wholly accurate in the examples I provided.

That said, if the U.S. adopted Freestule and Greco in colleges and universities across the country, not only would this nation's depth on the senior level increase exponentially, but you'd have more foreign wrestlers coming to school here to earn degrees, making U.S. wrestlers tougher.

Romero of Cuba is not European, but he did wrestle freestyle.

I would add Lazaro Reinoso to that list who was a Division 2 National Champion for Carson Newman. Internationally he was an Olympic bronze medalist (beat John Smith at that tournament as well), as well a World silver medalist.

14 hours ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

I would add Lazaro Reinoso to that list who was a Division 2 National Champion for Carson Newman. Internationally he was an Olympic bronze medalist (beat John Smith at that tournament as well), as well a World silver medalist.

I thought about mentioning Reinoso when I mentioned Wilson. I don't know why I didn't. Didn't he and Jesus leave Cuba together?

What Europeans that were a part of some wrestling national teams compete in MMA?  
I hope you're not referring to the legendary Freestyle team of the UK.....  
Mark O. Madsen

Yoel started mma old but won many ufc title fights.
The other USA wrestlers at the top of UFC like Cejudo Cormier Jones are not pure filkstyle wrestlers but freestyle or greco athletes. The takedown/throw is the most important aspect in mma wrestling. On the ground folkstyle in good but in mma there are submissions...so grappling, jj and Pankration are better.

Inviato dal mio LG-H870 utilizzando Tapatalk