Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Chris Pendleton named new Oregon State Head Coach

Interesting to see how well ASU, Stanford, and Oregon State now improve.  I don't think they'll get to ACC level of strength, but the Pac12 may not be very far behind in a few years(providing that ASU doesn't regress without Pendleton).

Does Valencia transfer to follow?  Does Cael Valencia switch to Oregon State now?

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Interesting to see how well ASU, Stanford, and Oregon State now improve.  I don't think they'll get to ACC level of strength, but the Pac12 may not be very far behind in a few years(providing that ASU doesn't regress without Pendleton).

Does Valencia transfer to follow?  Does Cael Valencia switch to Oregon State now?

Good questions. The recruiting aspect will be interesting. He will definitely have a presence in California. The other great aspect is the RTC impact it will have. 

Very exciting!  Looking forward to the fresh energy Coach Pendleton will be bringing the the northwest!

Any word on who he is bringing along as assistants?

A little hyperbole in the press release:

" Chris Pendleton, one of the most successful collegiate wrestlers in the history of the sport "

But an excellent hire, great job by the Oregon State AD.   Loved how open they were in the process and the detailed articles about it, it's clear they put some effort into this and it paid off. 

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

A little hyperbole in the press release:

" Chris Pendleton, one of the most successful collegiate wrestlers in the history of the sport "

But an excellent hire, great job by the Oregon State AD.   Loved how open they were in the process and the detailed articles about it, it's clear they put some effort into this and it paid off. 

2 time champ is pretty sweet.  Owning 7 wins over Ben Askren with 2 being in the national finals is pretty legendary.

55 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Now begins the search for a support staff.  Who would be a good fit for asst coaches grad coaches etc. etc.

Hmmmm

Tanner Hall is probably out of wrestling.  Valencias don't strike me as the coaching types.  Current OSU staff didn't have great success. Maybe JO?   Ringer?

JO would be at the top of my list. Elite technician, currently competing but towards the twilight of his career, very recognizable for recruiting purposes, fills a light to middleweight need (not duplicative to Pendleton himself, who will likely need to spend some time coaching technique etc. at first).

If any of the recent PSU grads want a coaching career, they’d be big scores too. Mark Hall, for example? I think Nolf and Cenzo are too much PA guys to move all the way to OSU but you never know. 

What happened to Isaac Jordan? He was at the other OSU for some time and could be an interesting candidate as well. Obviously OH is a good state to have a lead into. 

Well, this came as a bit of a shocker to me, but I trust that everyone's excitement on this board means something. 

Although I could understand why he would bring his own guys in, I hope he at least considers keeping Meeks around. Besides my admitted bias, Meeks would sure help Pendleton in the transition period. He's also one swell guy, too. 

23 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Hmmmm

Tanner Hall is probably out of wrestling.  Valencias don't strike me as the coaching types.  Current OSU staff didn't have great success. Maybe JO?   Ringer?

None of the above

A valencia - sill a year of eligibility - just posted a video on his training. Z Valencia probably still training since the Olympics were put off a year. Current OSU staff were all let go. J.O. and Ringer still training for olympics - they will not move to OSU to continue training. Doesn't mean they couldn't be added down the road however.  So....if word is true, it's good and it should be announced soon. 

Edited by Idaho

1 minute ago, Obelix said:

Well, this came as a bit of a shocker to me, but I trust that everyone's excitement on this board means something. 

Although I could understand why he would bring his own guys in, I hope he at least considers keeping Meeks around. Besides my admitted bias, Meeks would sure help Pendleton in the transition period. He's also one swell guy, too. 

Couldn't agree more - Taylor is great with the upper weights and a great guy! I wish this were true as well, but my understanding is that he will not be back. 

Taylor's a good dude, been in two tough situations with D1 schools.  BSU, now is alma mater.  I wish he, Miller and Z the best going forward on their next chapter.

It will be nice to see who he brings on staff.  2 assistants, possibly a club coach (Orange Crush), Director of Operations, then possibly a GA.

Oregon St. had 1 non starter senior, so there is a chance for a recent graduate from a different school to be on staff as a GA.

One name that came to my mind in one of the above positions is Chad Hanke.  At AU for a while, then back to Bakersfield for 2 seasons.

23 minutes ago, CB said:

Taylor's a good dude, been in two tough situations with D1 schools.  BSU, now is alma mater.  I wish he, Miller and Z the best going forward on their next chapter.

It will be nice to see who he brings on staff.  2 assistants, possibly a club coach (Orange Crush), Director of Operations, then possibly a GA.

Oregon St. had 1 non starter senior, so there is a chance for a recent graduate from a different school to be on staff as a GA.

One name that came to my mind in one of the above positions is Chad Hanke.  At AU for a while, then back to Bakersfield for 2 seasons.

Hanke would be a good one - Oregon St. kid coming back home. Your right about the GA - it probably won't be an OSU guy. Can't see Bresser coming in and Dhesi is focused on the Olympics. That's where an ASU recent grad and/or Sunkist member could come in. 

Portland Tribune did a story on the hiring process:

https://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/459794-374152-osu-wrestling-search-committee-got-its-man-in-chris-pendleton-no-doubt-we-got-the-right-guy?fbclid=IwAR3_zCzET5zx2jWrYvd07i8ykqFkFOZQhgXi3U3ITs6_Z25FiPzHh1MwzM0

Then look at this, a box score where Ok State came to Corvallis in 2003...3 of the 4 finalists were in the lineup for the Cowboys.  :-)

https://osubeavers.com/news/2003/12/14/207823700.aspx

2 hours ago, CB said:

Portland Tribune did a story on the hiring process:

https://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/459794-374152-osu-wrestling-search-committee-got-its-man-in-chris-pendleton-no-doubt-we-got-the-right-guy?fbclid=IwAR3_zCzET5zx2jWrYvd07i8ykqFkFOZQhgXi3U3ITs6_Z25FiPzHh1MwzM0

Then look at this, a box score where Ok State came to Corvallis in 2003...3 of the 4 finalists were in the lineup for the Cowboys.  :-)

https://osubeavers.com/news/2003/12/14/207823700.aspx

Nice find on that box score CB!

There is talk in an Oregon forum of Ken Chertow coming on as an assistant.  I am not sure what to think of that.