Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Chris Pendleton named new Oregon State Head Coach

1 hour ago, OR said:

Nice find on that box score CB!

There is talk in an Oregon forum of Ken Chertow coming on as an assistant.  I am not sure what to think of that.

Not happening

9 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

What happened to Isaac Jordan? He was at the other OSU for some time and could be an interesting candidate as well. Obviously OH is a good state to have a lead into. 

Don't screw with Jordan, he, Tsirtsis and Angel are busy!

13 hours ago, Idaho said:

None of the above

A valencia - sill a year of eligibility - just posted a video on his training. Z Valencia probably still training since the Olympics were put off a year. Current OSU staff were all let go. J.O. and Ringer still training for olympics - they will not move to OSU to continue training. Doesn't mean they couldn't be added down the road however.  So....if word is true, it's good and it should be announced soon. 

What do you mean by current OSU stagff were all let go? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

**** sorry. Wasnt even thinking about Oregon State. Was thinking OkSU. What a dumb **** I am. Thanks.

Haha....I have done that more than a few times myself!

A quote from the article @OR shared:

“We’ll have to hire the right staff that can get on the mat. Mentor those guys and give them the look and feel of what high-level wrestling really feels like.”

Bringing in a new staff. 

On 3/31/2020 at 10:24 PM, potentiallydangerous said:

I'd like to see him win a national championship with recruits only from Lemoore and the Clovis schools.

It could be done for sure. I would expand it a little and say Lemoore, Fresno, and Clovis schools. 

The nice thing for Pendleton is he really doesn't HAVE to recruit to replace anyone from last season's lineup for Oregon State as all 10 starters are back for 2021 as well as Hunter Willits at 157 lbs (who redshirted last season).  I'm sure he and his staff WILL be out recruiting anyway - but they really do not HAVE to do so.

1 minute ago, Bronco said:

The nice thing for Pendleton is he really doesn't HAVE to recruit to replace anyone from last season's lineup for Oregon State as all 10 starters are back for 2021 as well as Hunter Willits at 157 lbs (who redshirted last season).  I'm sure he and his staff WILL be out recruiting anyway - but they really do not HAVE to do so.

Can he pull a Brands/Sanderson and take half the ASU wrestlers with him, including Zahid who was only suspended from ASU, correct?  ;)

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Can he pull a Brands/Sanderson and take half the ASU wrestlers with him, including Zahid who was only suspended from ASU, correct?  ;)

Shhhh...be quiet on this one :-)

Seriously, could use mid's and heavy's IMO.  Two guys in this year's class:  Vidlak and Kuenzi are lower weights.  165, 184, 285 are probably the biggest needs.

3 hours ago, Bronco said:

2 hours ago, ionel said:

He wasn't a head coach to allow for that.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

He wasn't a head coach to allow for that.

Is that in the rule book?  Why not, don't you think he is the guy who developed Zahid maybe recruited etc.  What if Chris' younger brother were a freshman at ASU?

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Is that in the rule book?  Why not, don't you think he is the guy who developed Zahid maybe recruited etc.  What if Chris' younger brother were a freshman at ASU?

The manual- you can transfer with a head coach.

I guess they can transfer anyway- not clear about new rules- but wouldn't necessarily be eligible immediately.

14.5.5.2.11 Head Coach Departure Prior to Initial Full-Time Enrollment Exception. The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year institution and the following conditions are met: (Adopted: 5/1/19 effective 8/1/19 applicable to a student-athlete who initially enrolls full-time at the certifying institution on or after August 1, 2019) (a) The student has not previously enrolled as a full-time student in a regular term (semester or quarter) of a collegiate institution (see Bylaw 12.8.1.1); and (b) The head coach at the student’s previous institution left the institution after the student met a condition affecting transfer status (see Bylaw 14.5.2) and before the start of the next regular academic term (e.g., fall semester).

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

The manual- you can transfer with a head coach.

I guess they can transfer anyway- not clear about new rules- but wouldn't necessarily be eligible immediately.

14.5.5.2.11 Head Coach Departure Prior to Initial Full-Time Enrollment Exception. The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year institution and the following conditions are met: (Adopted: 5/1/19 effective 8/1/19 applicable to a student-athlete who initially enrolls full-time at the certifying institution on or after August 1, 2019) (a) The student has not previously enrolled as a full-time student in a regular term (semester or quarter) of a collegiate institution (see Bylaw 12.8.1.1); and (b) The head coach at the student’s previous institution left the institution after the student met a condition affecting transfer status (see Bylaw 14.5.2) and before the start of the next regular academic term (e.g., fall semester).

I should point out that I dont think Chris should or will take any wrestlers with him.  Certainly not Zahid, you dont want to start building a program by bringing those issues into the program.  Was simply contrasting with Brands & Sanderson's new starts.

chris did an interview yesterday on the Joe Beaver show. Great interview. says he’s meeting with the team on Zoom, looking over the roster but he said he’s already very familiar from scouting. He likes some of the youth that’s in the lineup. 

Chris wouldn’t try to poach from ASU, however a kid who wants to follow a coach can enter the portal. He is a wrestlers coach and connects with his guys. 

Not a lot of money available for this year. As mentioned All 10 starters and Willits back along with Vidlak and Kuenzi coming in. Next year 3 seniors. 

6 hours ago, CB said:

Shhhh...be quiet on this one :-)

Seriously, could use mid's and heavy's IMO.  Two guys in this year's class:  Vidlak and Kuenzi are lower weights.  165, 184, 285 are probably the biggest needs.

It will be interesting to see how the team develops under the new staff. There are several on the verge of a breakthrough. I’m interested to see if chris can use his California connection to land Nevills since he seems on the outs at Penn State. 

9 hours ago, ionel said:

1. Zahid doesn't have any eligibility left, so that's a moot point.

2. To the best of my knowledge Anthony Valencia is the only one on the roster who has graduated and could transfer without sitting out. 

3. Everyone else on the current ASU roster has already taken a redshirt year, so why on earth would they want to lose a year of eligibilty transfering to follow an assistant coach.

Edited by wjd
typo